News   Apr 18, 2024
 277     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.9K     4 

Ontario Cannabis Store (OCS)

But why can't we improve things? My closest LCBO is only open until 9pm. The grocery store that I can walk to that sells beer is open until 10pm but has to cut off its beer sales earlier. Is that fair that yours is open longer? Why is it necessary to have this much control on the system.

Not sure what "fair" is in any retail operation. I imagine they set their hours based on the market they are in and the demand profile they see. If they are in some sort of mall or plaza environment their lease may also influence their opening hours.

Just because it works for you doesn't make it right.

I did not make that case anywhere. I just said I don't find their hours that inconvenient.....but, I might point out that just because it doesn't work for you doesn't make it wrong :) ;)

Not sure what "fair" is in any retail operation. I imagine they set their hours based on the market they are in and the demand profile they see. If they are in some sort of mall or plaza environment their lease may also influence their opening hours.

I did not make that case anywhere. I just said I don't find their hours that inconvenient.....but, I might point out that just because it doesn't work for you doesn't make it wrong :) ;)

Have you ever been to grocery store in the US? Much easier to buy alcohol there than here. Only the hard liquor is locked up after a certain time. Ontario has a long way to go. A looooong way.

Have you ever been to grocery store in the US? Much easier to buy alcohol there than here. Only the hard liquor is locked up after a certain time. Ontario has a long way to go. A looooong way.

That depends on the state, or sometimes even the county or city. Some states (like Pennsylvania) do not allow beer or wine sales in supermarkets or convenience stores, New Jersey makes it nearly impossible for supermarkets and chain convenience stores to do so. In these states, beer and wine stores are usually licenced stand-alone stores, and/or a separate outlet within a supermarket or Walmart/Target.

Many states, like Pennsylvania and New Hampshire, still have LCBO-style liquor stores. I remember not having an easy time buying beer in Maryland, and having to go to a stand-alone store in Illinois. And then there's Utah - and Oklahoma isn't much better.

Ontario, if it were a US state, would be in the middle of the pack. Not as liberal as New York or California or Michigan, but a lot more liberal than many.

Last edited:
That depends on the state, or sometimes even the county or city. Some states do not allow beer sales in supermarkets or convenience stores, and some states, like Pennsylvania and New Hampshire, still have LCBO-style liquor stores. I remember not having an easy time buying beer in Maryland, and having to go to a stand-alone store in Illinois. And then there's Utah.

Nevermind availability of alcohol - their legal drinking age is all over the place.

AoD

Nevermind availability of alcohol - their legal drinking age is all over the place.

AoD
Don't forget that Ontario has a lower legal drinking age as well!

Alcohol availability is still good enough and it's still more liberal than in many other places.

I would reform the legal drinking age to require passing an alcohol responsibility test that can be taken after graduating from high school. The same can be done with tobacco and cannabis.

Yes, I'm teetotal (and I inherit the Asian flush syndrome from my parents).

I'm not offended by the availability of alcohol (given that I don't drink at all). I'm more offended by the advertising of cheap "urine" everywhere. Cheap "urine" is an insult to fine beers.

I would reform the legal drinking age to require passing an alcohol responsibility test that can be taken after graduating from high school. The same can be done with tobacco and cannabis.

A test like that would be additional bureaucracy with rather questionable benefits. You think people who drink to excess doesn't know getting drunk is irresponsible? Forget about testing, if you want impact, you'd tie public intoxication to suspending drivers license.

AoD

A test like that would be additional bureaucracy with rather questionable benefits. You think people who drink to excess doesn't know getting drunk is irresponsible? Forget about testing, if you want impact, you'd tie public intoxication to suspending drivers license.

AoD
That is a much better idea.

Don't forget about Marco Muzzo.

Maybe some family members around the province will do some selling, on the side?

From link.

• Doug Ford, Toronto Mayor Rob Ford’s brother, sold hashish for several years in the 1980s.
  • Another brother, Randy, was also involved in the drug trade and was once charged in relation to a drug-related kidnapping.
  • Their sister, Kathy, has been the victim of drug-related gun violence.

Maybe some family members around the province will do some selling, on the side?

From link.
Why stop at OCS when the provincial government could go further with selling hashish and crack cocaine? Especially if Doug Ford becomes premier?

It's a great revenue stream and would destroy black market sales of them.

Eventually, grocery stores and convenience stores would sell hashish and crack cocaine as well, because "greater convenience" and "greater profits."

And no, no amounts of "please think of the children" can stop this great initiative.

:rolleyes:

AoD
What does public intoxication have to do with driving? If you're not behind the wheel, but hammered, you are not breaking the law. Public intoxication charges don't stick anyway.

I wouldn't have an issue lowering the drinking age to 18 in Ontario, especially with students generally going to university younger (now that there's no Grade 13). Being able to purchase alcohol from someone trained in Smart Serve is generally safer than binge drinking back at the frat house or some other unsupervised private space.

I wouldn't have an issue lowering the drinking age to 18 in Ontario, especially with students generally going to university younger (now that there's no Grade 13). Being able to purchase alcohol from someone trained in Smart Serve is generally safer than binge drinking back at the frat house or some other unsupervised private space.

I grew up in a suburb where the local Council worked really hard to ensure that there were no businesses open at night which would appeal to teens. Coupled with the drinking age of 19, it just pushed us to have parties in the woods with uncontrolled drinking.

Back