296     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 661     0 

Ontario Cannabis Store (OCS)

TOareaFan

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Since Ontario has announced that it will replicate the success of the LCBO with another entity to distribute Cannabis products we may as well have a thread to discuss their likely locations and store styles.

Of course if they had just created a "store within a store" concept within the LCBO outlets it would not be necessary but they have determined that by 2020 they will need 150 storefronts by 2020 in addition to an online premise...it will be a significant new retail tenant to discuss.

According to the CBC at least some of the cannabis stores will be within current LCBO stores.
Here is a direct quote from the CBC story

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/province-cannabis-plan-1.4280484?utm_content=buffer3cd88&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer said:
The plan means the LCBO will oversee the legal retailing of cannabis across the province through the new stand-alone stores and an online ordering service — meaning cannabis and alcohol will not be sold alongside each other.

Here is a direct quote from the CBC story
Thanks but I heard an interview where they spoke of some stores being 'carved out' of existing LCBO locations. I suppose they may build walls and create separate entrances etc. My point was that this is probably not going to be 150 brand new retail locations. It was certainly clear that alcohol and cannabis will not be sold side by side.

Sold at inflated prices like the alcohol, LCBO style stores have higher salaries, benefits and pensions. The black market will still thrive.

The black market for alcohol doesn't thrive though.

Depending on how regulations pan out, growing could be akin to homebrewing, otherwise the only real comparison would be alcohol mules who do resell (becoming an issue in the US craft beer industry), but yes ultimately only a tiny snapshot in the big picture

Depending on how regulations pan out, growing could be akin to homebrewing, otherwise the only real comparison would be alcohol mules who do resell (becoming an issue in the US craft beer industry), but yes ultimately only a tiny snapshot in the big picture

If CCBOs can provide the public with a decent enough supply, there will be less of a push back when they crackdown on unauthorized sellers. It's like, torrenting is down not because shutting down sites are very effective but legal online streaming services are convenient enough to divert the demand.

I don't understand the notion of the product being covered? What will the storefronts be? Just a counter and nothing else? Will you have to know what you want before you get there?

Won't it just be sold in the same way wine is sold in grocery stores? Meaning that they will share the same building but is still separate from the rest of the store. I don't imagine that lots of space will be needed for that, since the selection won't be so plentiful and there's no need to display bags of cannabis leaves

Back