Toronto One Rainsford | ?m | 6s | The Riedel Group | Richard Ziegler

Having good lake views (with a nudge in height/density not a tower) is very good urban design.

Not that the Beach needs any promotion in the short-term but in the big picture, measured change is good for the neighbourhood and every home owner ($).

I was waiting for the streetcar at Queen and Woodbine and took a couple photos of this site.

The row of houses to be demolished:

800px-1864-1876_Queen_St._E.JPG

The old wooden building on the corner:

800px-Queen_and_Rainsford.JPG

City Planning Final Report

According to this report, this project is designed by Richard Ziegler Architect Inc. :)

For consideration by Toronto and East York Community Council on Sept 15/09:

This application proposes the construction of a six storey mid-rise building at 1864 to 1876 Queen St E with 28 residential units, and commercial uses on the ground floor. It involves the demolition of all the existing buildings which contain ten dwelling units, including eight rental housing units.

Mid-rise housing is an important form of development that can create new housing and shopping opportunities and can help the City to more easily address reurbanization objectives on Avenues.

Queen Street in the Beach area continues to be a desirable residential and commercial destination. The proposed mixed-use development is consistent and compatible with area development.

The application under Chapter 667 of the Municipal Code proposes the demolition of 8 residential rental units, which is prohibited without a permit issued under Section 111 of the City of Toronto Act. The rental units will not be replaced.

This report reviews and recommends approval of the application to amend the Zoning By-law, and approval of the applications to demolish the existing residential buildings without requiring the replacement of the residential rental units.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2009/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-21942.pdf

It is hard to tell from the architect's sketch how nice it will look, as the choice of exterior materials used will have a big effect...

Thanks for the photos, SimonP. Now I'm fascinated by the history of this "mystery structure" at 1864. Averagejoe, what made you think it isn't a house? Could it be a house that fell into disrepair and has been abandoned? I wonder when the taller apartment building on the right of the photo was built - it looks fairly modern so I was surprised that it too will be demolished.

I worry too about the precedent that is set if the extra stories are approved. I am not familiar with the history/politics of the height bylaw along this part of Queen, but if exceptions start being granted routinely, then why not change the bylaw (is it there to make sure that any buildings allowed to exceed the height restriction are vetted as being architecturally "exceptional" enough to be worth it)?

I dig. Looks funky, retail at the base, not too tall for the area. Could've been worse. 1000 King West comes to mind.

Back