News   Mar 28, 2024
 420     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 296     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 322     0 

Oddfellows Hall 450 Yonge @ Carlton (?, 5s addition, ERA)

androiduk

Member Bio
Reaction score
This should be interesting.

Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M4Y 1W9

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 14 249220 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: Nov 7, 2014

Project: Multiple-Use Building Addition

Description: To construct a four-storey non-residential addition to the existing four-storey multi-use residential building.

Captureoddfellows.JPG

Attachments

• Captureoddfellows.JPG
    Captureoddfellows.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 2,323
They're probably gonna just plunk a glass cube on top of the building, as we've seen many times in this city. Somehow that passes as architecture these days.

dont mess with character. please re consider this proposal.
i vote dont touch this. its not spectacular by any means but. come on. leave some history untouched in this city.

They're probably gonna just plunk a glass cube on top of the building, as we've seen many times in this city. Somehow that passes as architecture these days.

I think the site is fairly built out but, I still think a vertical expansion is less likely than an expansion of its current footprint. The whole building would have to be restructured. The costs are astronomical for this type of renovation and more than a few developments have gone bankrupt doing just that. Because of this, I think you are overstating how often a glass cube has been placed on top of a building. Facadectomies are something entirely different.

Not going to get my knickers in a knot for what could be a new emergency stairwell hidden at the rear of the property. The current setup is over city property.

Last edited:

...and rename it the Oddbedfellows Building.

Seriously though, the heritage hounds need to be released on this.

It will be such a disappointment if they do. That roof looks amazing and there's no way I can see them preserving that roof if an addition were added :(

NO! This is simply UNACCEPTABLE! The greed in this city is just getting out of hand.

I know you revel in every minute detail that doesn't meet your impossible standards but, you don't know what the plan is here. 4 storey addition is extremely vague offering nothing on the size and scope or whether it is a vertical expansion or an outward one hidden from view. Expecting the worst will only lead to the worst possible outcome. Like I speculated, the current emergency stairwell extends over the sidewalk on Yonge. It would make sense for the owner to address this particularly if any infringement agreements are expiring. The building is also four storeys tall.

Back