588     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 989     3 

NY judge orders 20 floors cut from already built condo

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score

“On Feb. 13, a judge in New York ruled that a new 668-foot tall condo exceeds legal zoning limits. The Upper West Side building used a zoning loophole to get approval, which the court ruled should never have been granted.

The massive condo is nearly complete. But according to Justice W. Franc Perry, that doesn't give the developers a pass. And now, he has ordered them to lop off 20 completed storeys from the highrise building. “

Probably won't happen- this will enter negotiations, they'll just pay a big lump sum of cash to the community as a 'symbolic' demolition, and the building will be finished as-is.

If they really do push with the demolition, I expect it to be negotiated down to maybe 10-stories as most, 5 being the most likely (the top setback of the building).

Of course, New York being New York, the loophole will also probably never be closed, and developers will continue using it in neighbourhoods with fewer financial resources or community groups that can mount resistance.

Last edited:
Probably won't happen- this will enter negotiations, they'll just pay a big lump sum of cash to the community as a 'symbolic' demolition, and the building will be finished as-is.

If they really do push with the demolition, I expect it to be negotiated down to maybe 10-stories as most, 5 being the most likely (the top setback of the building).
I imagine it's not safe or easy to chop off the top of a building. That's a demolition job, needing to clear huge spaces around the site.

I imagine it's not safe or easy to chop off the top of a building. That's a demolition job, needing to clear huge spaces around the site.

Not to mention that HVAC and other services will need to be redesigned and relocated.

And also potential issues and lawsuits from the owners of the condo units who may stand to lose their units.

Of course, New York being New York, the loophole will also probably never be closed, and developers will continue using it in neighbourhoods with fewer financial resources or community groups that can mount resistance.

Court orders aren't negotiable. It would have to be appealed to an appellate court. The court should have already received evidence at trial that removing the storeys is technically feasible and a reasonable remedy in order to make the order. I'm not familiar with the case to say that that's what happened, but that would be the ordinary way of doing things.

Back