News   Apr 19, 2024
 451     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 592     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 994     3 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Who knows. The rule of thumb over the past 18 months has been that governments are being returned handsomely due to the pandemic - this is only a thing tested at the state level. Western Australia's government was returned with a massive majority (only 3 opposition MPs in the lower house AFAIK), QLD and TAS returned handsome majorities too (WA & QLD = Labor, TAS = Liberal).

Dunno about NSW - the exceptionalism they've sought to praise themselves with has really seen the shine come off them over the past 4 weeks re: Delta outbreak that as of today/time of posting, they've had the largest number of cases in a day.

Business tends to always favour Liberals (Liberals = party of capital, Labor = party of workers, traditionally) but even they're starting to see through the piss and wind the NSW PR machine has been pumping out since their last lockdown.

Pretty sure the Libs won't make any in-roads in Victoria at the Federal level - way too much animosity due to treatment over pandemic response starting from our big second wave last year.

1626961145120.png

I'm just wondering how 2 multi-national entities with billions between them suggest ordinary people or even accomplished athletes should risk their health so the event can go ahead.
You can find a lot of athletes, probably a majority, pressuring for it to go ahead as many have a very narrow age window to participate in something like the Olympics, especially many who only qualified at the borderline. You can see the IOC speaking on their behalf, though we all know they are also speaking on behalf of TV networks who have invested in the coverage and would be at a loss to replace the sponsorship and the huge block of programming, though I suppose they get some money back from the IOC to use for that, but we'd see many hours of reality TV for those two weeks.

Either way, I think the actual concern now is the Winter Olympics next year, which will be in China. I noticed a story today that the Sinovac is being withdrawn from many Asian countries as it does not work well against the Delta variant, and vaccine uptake in China has been very slow too. The NHL has said that no one will offer COVID insurance for its players to attend the games in China, not traditional insurers nor alternative high-risk insurers. Those business simply say they won't even consider policies on COVID right now, so they may refuse to send their players for hockey. Imagine if the Delta variant begins circulating in China?

Last edited:
You can find a lot of athletes, probably a majority, pressuring for it to go ahead as many have a very narrow age window to participate in something like the Olympics, especially many who only qualified at the borderline. You can see the IOC speaking on their behalf, though we all know they are also speaking on behalf of TV networks who have invested in the coverage and would be at a loss to replace the sponsorship and the huge block of programming, though I suppose they get some money back from the IOC to use for that, but we'd see many hours of reality TV for those two weeks.
Uh huh, many people (especially those who are vaxxed - which I expect these athletes to be) will probably want to continue life. You can only hold a lockdown for so long before people say "I'm out, screw off."
Either way, I think the actual concern now is the Winter Olympics next year, which will be in China. I noticed a story today that the Sinovac is being withdrawn from many Asian countries as it does not work well against the Delta variant, and vaccine uptake in China has been very slow too. The NHL has said that no one will offer COVID insurance for its players to attend the games in China, not traditional insurers nor alternative high-risk insurers, s othey may refuse to send their players for hockey. Those business simply say they won't even consider policies on COVID right now. Imagine if the Delta variant begins circulating in China?
They say that the Chinese vaccine is actually as dangerous as anti-vaxxers claim vaccines to be. Of course, anecdotal data from friends in Wuhan. Goodness knows if it's true.

On CP24 this morning a viewer compared requiring vaccination (for entry into businesses or organizations) to the restrictions placed on smokers in the 1990s.

Much like many others here, I remember a time when you would go to a restaurant and they would ask you "smoking or non-smoking". Eventually the Smoke-Free Ontario Act came into play and required smoking rooms to be built in restaurants and other establishments.

Could we not do something similar now wherein we create a separate space for those who are not or unable to be vaccinated? It would be no different than an isolation room in hospitals.

Back