News   Mar 28, 2024
 423     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 376     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 729     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Not much of a backlog though. Only 4 thousand.

This has me wondering why the tests are so low. We used to process close to 60 thousand a day.
People aren’t symptomatic so aren’t being tested. Kids and teachers aren’t in school. LTCs have reduced testing requirements.

Reactions: DSC
Myself and my family only ever got tested when any of us had symptoms or were potentially exposed. Now that there are so few cases and pretty high vaccinations, there's less need to get tested.

Same here. I only ever got tested when there was a confirmed positive case at my work. They would not tell us who for privacy reasons so I would get tested to be safe.

Not much of a backlog though. Only 4 thousand.

This has me wondering why the tests are so low. We used to process close to 60 thousand a day.
If you have been vaccinated I doubt most people will bother to get tested if you have 'a cold" whereas when people were not vaccinated they were flocking to test centres with sore throats etc. These days, testing is more likely to be of people who might actually have covid.

Think we're now facing people with Trypanophobia, or the extreme fear of medical procedures involving injections or hypodermic needles.

How to overcome needle phobia when getting a COVID-19 vaccine

From link.

While many Canadians have been able to breathe a sigh of relief over the COVID-19 vaccine, there are some people who look at the shot with a sense of impending doom.

Those with needle phobias, one of the more common phobias people tend to have, are being exposed to images and depictions of needles more than ever. And while it may be a comfort to know you’re not alone, being faced with having to get the COVID-19 vaccine may still cause deep anxiety for some.

“One of the most common forms of anxiety disorder is called simple phobia, which would include things like fear of heights, fear of mice, fear of needles,” Mark Berber, assistant professor in psychiatry at the University of Toronto, told CTVNews.ca in a phone interview.
There are different ways of treating fears and phobias, through cognitive behavioural therapy, and most often, exposure therapy. That might involve looking at pictures of needles, and eventually handling the syringe in your hand, for example.

With vaccine selfies all over social media, most people have had more than enough of their share of exposure therapy, but it’s missing one important piece of the puzzle.

“Good exposure therapy is voluntary,” Melanie Badali, registered psychologist and board director with Anxiety Canada, told CTVNews.ca in a phone interview on Friday.

The sort of exposure therapy we are faced with by the onslaught of vaccine selfies on social media isn’t voluntary, but experts say it’s important to learn to deal with these fears to help stop the global pandemic.

“Anxiety and needle fear can keep people from getting vaccinations,” she said.

“One of the big things that we see with specific phobias like needle or injection phobias, and in anxiety disorders in general, is avoidance... And so people are afraid of something, they avoid it, and then they don't get the opportunity to learn that it wasn't as dangerous or threatening as they thought, or they don't get the chance to learn.”

She said that for those who are finding themselves looking away or cringing at the sight of vaccine selfies, this might be a good opportunity to explore what is behind the feeling and ways to handle it.

Star-Trek-The-Original-Series-Dr-McCoy-s-Hypospray-Mk-II-2.jpg
From link.

Think we're now facing people with Trypanophobia, or the extreme fear of medical procedures involving injections or hypodermic needles.

How to overcome needle phobia when getting a COVID-19 vaccine

From link.

Star-Trek-The-Original-Series-Dr-McCoy-s-Hypospray-Mk-II-2.jpg
From link.
CAMH was having clinics for those with needle phobia and fear of medical treatments.

Regarding St Lawrence Market, I haven't seen anyone counting who goes in since last year some time, but then we are there before 6 am, so I assumed it was because there just wasn't the traffic that early. You can still see the remnants of line ups in the stickers on the sidewalks. I haven't lined up to get in since Spring 2020.

Vaccinated Americans can cross the border. The article also outlines other changes to restrictions https://www.thestar.com/politics/fe...other-international-travellers-on-sept-7.html
I see a "need" for a "vaccine passport", so Canadians and Americans can crisscross the border quicker. Unfortunately, Doug Ford and other Conservatives are against a "vaccine passport". Maybe he'll change his mind by August 9th.

businessman-manuel-ready-have-change-600w-1258298905.jpg

From link.

Ford outright rejects vaccine passports on eve of Step 3 of COVID-19 reopening

See link.

I see a "need" for a "vaccine passport", so Canadians and Americans can crisscross the border quicker. Unfortunately, Doug Ford and other Conservatives are against a "vaccine passport". Maybe he'll change his mind by August 9th.

businessman-manuel-ready-have-change-600w-1258298905.jpg

From link.

Ford outright rejects vaccine passports on eve of Step 3 of COVID-19 reopening

See link.

The idea of a Covid-19 specific vaccine passport is not going to last very long I do not think. It is a reaction to an ongoing situation and once it is over and done with people will forget it ever existed much like SARS.

The idea of a Covid-19 specific vaccine passport is not going to last very long I do not think. It is a reaction to an ongoing situation and once it is over and done with people will forget it ever existed much like SARS.
Could be used to record ALL vaccines the patient had. Can't find my yellow card. Would be better if our doctor's could record it on the "cloud" and the patient get access to it.
PNM_immunization_record.jpg
From link

It has been longer lived than SARS and definitely more life altering on a broader scale than SARS and isn’t showing signs of going away in areas with low vaccine rates. A passport wouldn’t have to be COVID specific. I have had to show proof of vaccines for travel over the years.

Last edited:

Back