News   Mar 28, 2024
 157     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 196     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 253     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

It’s not just snowbirds. People continue to go on vacation and travel for other reasons. In my community FB group, someone asked about travelling to the US for personal family reasons. Numerous people advised her to just pay the fine and skip the hotel.

I know someone who has booked a week long resort vacation in Cancun in June...

This is just over 2 hours old.............but in case anyone finds it useful:

1619112985963.png

The most annoying thing is Trudeau will eventually enact a ban on flights from India and other hot spots, but that he’ll take 2-3 weeks to mull it over. If you’re going to do it, do it now

I know, it's so annoying having to assess everything to the nth-degree and still end up doing it - while losing the benefit of early action.

AoD

Last edited:
I suspect people will fall in line once the word gets out (and by lord, the government should make sure the public knows) that violators will be jailed. That's deterrence - and if they catch COVID while in it, that's just a taste of their own medicine.

AoD
I see why you are a Moderator - if somewhat immoderate!! :->

India have already stopped export for awhile - and rightly so. I am sure domestic political context has more to do with it.

AoD

That'll happen when a country keeps its vaccine production in inside its country. They would want to produce vaccines for their own country first. Used to be that way in Canada until our own vaccine production was sold by the Conservatives.

See link.

To understand the problem, we need to go back to the 1980s. At that time, the government-owned Connaught Labs was producing vaccines here in Canada and decision-making was in the public realm. But Connaught was partially privatized and then finally allowed to be sold to the French company Merieux (now part of Sanofi) by the Conservative government of Brian Mulroney.

Fast forward to the 2000s, when Québec-based vaccine manufacturer IAF BioChem went through a couple of sales and ended up being owned by GlaxoSmithKline (GSK).

That'll happen when a country keeps its vaccine production in inside its country. They would want to produce vaccines for their own country first. Used to be that way in Canada until our own vaccine production was sold by the Conservatives.

See link.

Hard to fault them doing it - they are starring at an abyss of epic proportions that make our challenges look like a minor inconvenience. Said it before - it takes a very Canadian chutzpah to demand that we vaccinate faster than everyone else when we don't even make the vaccines ourselves.

AoD

Last edited:
India have already stopped export for awhile - and rightly so. I am sure domestic political context has more to do with it.

AoD
Interestingly, I read the UK hasn’t actually banned flights from India. Effective Friday, passengers from India can still enter, but they have to abide by stricter quarantine rules.

My coworker who was going to return next Monday from India is going to have some creative travel arranging to work out! I wonder if it is just a matter of finding a third country you can travel through.

I think they should have just moved flights from India to 2 week hotel quarantine (and no $750 get out of jail free card).

Back