News   Apr 19, 2024
 342     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 8.9K     2 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

True but by denying access to new potential cases you can limit the spread. Controls do nothing if people come into the country or travel internally regularly that are sick

The problem isn't controls do nothing - but our internal controls are so lackadaisical that they are ineffective at stopping local spread, travel ban or not. What travel ban provides is buying time to vaccinate our population before the strains invariably arrives and spread (because it will, and no system is truly air-tight)

AoD

I expect it's more tourists and family visits.
A coworker is in India right now, returning shortly. She went to be with her grandfather, who was quite ill.

I think flights are fine. But we should grow a backbone and enforce strict 14 day quarantines in hotel. UK is also doing this. We have been waffling because of entitled snowbirds.

A coworker is in India right now, returning shortly. She went to be with her grandfather, who was quite ill.

I think flights are fine. But we should grow a backbone and enforce strict 14 day quarantines in hotel. UK is also doing this. We have been waffling because of entitled snowbirds.

I think it is important for any travel ban to be as universal and as free of any special consideration as possible. Exceptions always lead "why not me".

AoD

I think it is important for any travel ban to be as universal and as free of any special consideration as possible. Exceptions always lead "why not me".
Disagree. Just set a Covid case cut off. If your country is clearly not managing covid, you're banned until you are. If I can't drive to Buffalo, why can someone fly in from Delhi?

Disagree. Just set a Covid case cut off. If your country is clearly not managing covid, you're banned until you are. If I can't drive to Buffalo, why can someone fly in from Delhi?

Because the goal is to keep the variant out - not to pass judgement on whether a country managed COVID.

AoD

I have no problem keeping airports open, as long as every single person has to quarantine until they have two consecutive negative tests (after three days of quarantine) or two weeks, whichever comes first. The problem seems to be the will to actually fully enforce that.
Yeah, that’s the problem.

The outbreak of COVID happening in Vancouver is primarily thanks to international travellers.

Yeah, that’s the problem.

The outbreak of COVID happening in Vancouver is primarily thanks to international travellers.
The entire Covid pandemic in Canada started because of international travelers, and yet from day one we don't really restrict them. It's like these so called lockdowns with so many exceptions.

At the beginning we were flying repatriated Canadians to CFB Trenton where they had to quarantine for two weeks. Why did we stop that? Instead we should have expanded it - every passenger flight into Canada is canceled or diverted to a CFB air base where everyone is quarantined.

If you leave these loopholes, people will fly Delhi to Buffalo and drive across. The snowbirds have thumbed their nose at all the attempts to dissuade travel.

It’s not just snowbirds. People continue to go on vacation and travel for other reasons. In my community FB group, someone asked about travelling to the US for personal family reasons. Numerous people advised her to just pay the fine and skip the hotel.

It’s not just snowbirds. People continue to go on vacation and travel for other reasons. In my community FB group, someone asked about travelling to the US for personal family reasons. Numerous people advised her to just pay the fine and skip the hotel.

The fine is such a joke - it has no deterrent value. What's needed is serious jailtime.

AoD

Agreed. We got sold out flights from Covid hot spots in India and other countries landing in Canada.

Though I agree 100% that the current deterrent is insufficient, this is really NOT the time to fill up the jails. In fact we should be emptying them out as they are inevitably covid hot-spots.

I suspect people will fall in line once the word gets out (and by lord, the government should make sure the public knows) that violators will be jailed. That's deterrence - and if they catch COVID while in it, that's just a taste of their own medicine.

AoD

Back