News   Mar 28, 2024
 180     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

I don’t understand. Where are these people getting it? I don’t know anyone in the first person who’s tested positive. I rarely leave the house and only for groceries and solo motorcycle or bicycle rides for leisure.

Well you have the privilege of working from home afterall...

AoD

I don’t understand. Where are these people getting it? I don’t know anyone in the first person who’s tested positive. I rarely leave the house and only for groceries and solo motorcycle or bicycle rides for leisure.
The stats are there. They are getting it in workplaces and schools account for a large percentage. My neighbour‘s entire family was sick (teacher with school aged children); one of the family is now on a vent. Extended family member attending university tested positive yesterday.
Not everyone gets to stay home.

The stats are there. They are getting it in workplaces and schools account for a large percentage. My neighbour‘s entire family was sick (teacher with school aged children); one of the family is now on a vent. Extended family member attending university tested positive yesterday.
Not everyone gets to stay home.

Yep and my neighbour's son caught it from the workplace (construction).

AoD

Schools and workplaces. Factories and food processioning plants are running full production to keep up with the crazy demand. They bring the virus home and spreads through out the multi generational housing they live in. With the cost of housing, It's not unusual to have two and three families living under one roof now a days.

My nephew told me a few weeks ago, his best friend tested positive. His dad is a delivery driver, brought COVID home from work, and infected all 7 family members. The oldest daughter is 22, got it the worst. She is still battling it.

Essential workers who can't work remotely and multigenerational households.

My visit at the Convention Centre mass vaccination centre last Monday was the first time I was close to a number of people since the beginning of the pandemic. And of course, I learned later that an employee had COVID while we were there, and that we should monitor our symptoms... I suppose we shoudn't expect people working in those centres to have been vaccinated already! :rolleyes:

My visit at the Convention Centre mass vaccination centre last Monday was the first time I was close to a number of people since the beginning of the pandemic. And of course, I learned later that an employee had COVID while we were there, and that we should monitor our symptoms... I suppose we shoudn't expect people working in those centres to have been vaccinated already! :rolleyes:

I would imagine they are (given the risk they're in). Being vaccinated doesn't mean you can't get (much less spread) it - it merely meant that you will not suffer the worst symptoms.

AoD

Maybe not tested positive, but could have still had it and not known. Not everyone has symptoms.

Schools and workplaces. Factories and food processioning plants are running full production to keep up with the crazy demand. They bring the virus home and spreads through out the multi generational housing they live in. With the cost of housing, It's not unusual to have two and three families living under one roof now a days.
Isn't that more a Peel and York region rather than Toronto experience? I'm referring to cases in Toronto, we don't have many factories or food processing plants in Toronto. Some yes, ive worked at some but nothing like in Brampton and 'sauga.

Isn't that more a Peel and York region rather than Toronto experience? I'm referring to cases in Toronto, we don't have many factories or food processing plants in Toronto. Some yes, ive worked at some but nothing like in Brampton and 'sauga.

People living in northeast and west Toronto are likely the ones working in these settings and given the demographics, probably the most likely to be living in multi-generational housing as well. It should be no surprise to anyone that areas with the highest positivity rates in Peel are literally contiguous to these areas in Toronto.

AoD

People living in northeast and west Toronto are likely the ones working in these settings and given the demographics, probably the most likely to be living in multi-generational housing as well. It should be no surprise to anyone that areas with the highest positivity rates in Peel are literally contiguous to these areas in Toronto.

AoD
Good point. I'm just glad to be vaccinated now.

Back in 1995, the population of Ontario was around 10.95 million.

In 2021, Ontario's population is estimated at 14.05 million.

From link.

From 2018, from this link...

...in October 2017, the Wynne government announced $100 million – $150 million to reopen hospital bed capacity. This money funded 1,200 hospital beds and an additional set of “transitional beds” (lower level of care, lower level of funding beds, all of which were temporary. In response to pressure, then Health Minister Eric Hoskins said he would seek approval from Treasury Board to extend them. In February 2018, Health Minister Eric Hoskins announced $187 million would be in the 2018 Budget for the next fiscal year (2018-19 — the year we are now in) to continue those 1,200 hospital beds past the election. Through the summer, the Ford government systematically rolled back many or most of the provisions of the 2018 budget. Today, Ford appears to have decreased the funding to $90 million in his announcement for 1,100 hospital beds for one year.

Sometimes, it's better to have a surplus of health resources when there is no "plague" or "pandemic" around, so that when we have an increase in demand, we are ready instead of the current situation of running around looking and begging.

I have the privilege of working from home, but still managed to catch it in November. I don't actually know specifically where I got it, but if I had to guess, it was on the TTC (I have to take my child to school via TTC). I hadn't even been to a store or my workplace for a couple of weeks prior to symptoms. The only other way would be if my wife or child caught it and passed it on to me, without getting symptoms themselves....and then were already clear of it by the time they got tested after my own positive test result.

Back