519     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 335     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 347     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

For the click-through adverse:

1617974871757.png

I don't know about Dollarama there. Maybe other locations carry a different selection, but my experience of "food staples" which would be bought by the poor for whom "fresh produce is a luxury" would include frozen food, or even refrigerated food (milk, eggs, butter), but I haven't been to a Dollarama that has either of those (refrigerators were only for soft drinks and energy drinks). My experience at the three I have been inside in Toronto had on offer only packaged shelf-stable food, and I really don't see much of a price difference in those items from the discount grocery stores like No Frills and Fresh Co. Indeed, they are often higher priced per quantity (and even at same quantity) as they sell items only in the smallest quantity possible. Giant Tiger would maybe be a better Wal-Mart comparison, but those I think are only out in small town Ontario these days.
When you have little money (like, literally scrounging), you'll often buy smaller quantities of something even if a per-unit price is higher. Quantity purchasing is a luxury in low-income communities. Dollar stores are often predatory when it comes to the poor, keep away proper grocery stores, and don't provide adequate employment in low-income neighbourhoods that they (grocery stores) would provide. That all said, as they are a source of "inexpensive" (again, on an a la carte basis) food, and until a better solution exists, shutting them down right now would create a terrible situation for those less fortunate.

I don't want to get into this all over again, but food security is a personal interest and a well documented problem in low-income communities. I recommend everyone read up on urban food security themselves if they want to understand the plight of some of their fellow humans.

Now this is a state that takes rules seriously:

AoD
I could be wrong, but I believe it's Norway that has a sliding scale (based on income) for many misdemeanour fines like speeding tickets. The more money you make, the bigger your fine.

This morning I was watching CP24 and Gurdeep was asking John Tory about how the 18+ vaccinations will work in hotspot postal codes. I watched as John Tory flipped out on him for pressing him on the topic.

Gurdeep was asking how vaccinations via pop-up and mobile clinics would work in terms of notice and accessibility at which point John Tory got pissed off and snapped at him.

Apparently the City of Toronto has hired ambassadors who will notify people of the clinics in their area which the mayor states will be via door knocking and other community publications. The concern Gurdeep raised was about how much notice people would receive and how they would avoid being overwhelmed.

As someone who is now able to be vaccinated in a hotspot area I am a little annoyed by the lack of information and planning. I cannot just up and leave work to run home because a vaccine truck or clinic is in my area. I need at least a days notice so I can call my work to book a day off for it if needed as well as be there in time to wait in line.

Having someone knock on my door the day of or put something in the Scarborough Mirror (which is no longer delivered to us) is not helpful. In my honest opinion they should be opening up the City of Toronto run clinics to those 18+ in hotspots.

I have a weird feeling I am going to miss getting vaccinated because I only find out from my folks when I get home that they were or are in the area that day.

Wow!!!! That's insane, but not surprising, Easter was a super spreader. When i saw the amount of cars parked on my street last weekend, because the condo's visitor parking was full. I knew we were going to be in big trouble.

105,382 vaccinations were injected in Ontario yesterday. Compare with 108,563 Wednesday, 104,382 Tuesday, and 76,199 on Monday.

Today, this person got his dose...
Ford-gets-vaccine.png

Ontario Premier, Doug Ford, receives his first dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine at an Etobicoke pharmacy on April 9, 2021.

From link.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford has received his first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine on Friday morning.

He got the Oxford-AstraZeneca shot at a pharmacy in Etobicoke just after 10 a.m.

Ford becomes latest politician in Canada to be publicly vaccinated against the virus.

Premiers of Quebec, Manitoba, New Brunswick and the territories have also publicly shared their vaccinations, as well as some world leaders.

Ontario health minister Christine Elliott received her first dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine on camera last week at a Toronto pharmacy.

Elliott said she would be getting the shot publicly to help combat vaccine hesitancy and prove to residents that the shot is safe and that it saves lives.

The drugmaker recently updated the efficacy data for its vaccine, saying the shot is 76 per cent effective against mild symptoms of the virus and 100 per cent effective at preventing severe disease.

The AstraZeneca shot is currently available to anyone 55 or older at select Ontario pharmacies.

When I was in Grade 7 back in 2000 we got the Hep B vaccine in our School Library during school hours from the TDSB.
That reminds me, both my teenage daughters got the HPV vaccine at their elementary school. How come we can be so organized then, but now it's this circus?

Health Units should have been involved from the get go. Vaccines are their jam. That said, this is the entire population, not just school-aged children, so it adds logistical fun to the mix.

This morning I was watching CP24 and Gurdeep was asking John Tory about how the 18+ vaccinations will work in hotspot postal codes. I watched as John Tory flipped out on him for pressing him on the topic.
Gurdeep was asking how vaccinations via pop-up and mobile clinics would work in terms of notice and accessibility at which point John Tory got pissed off and snapped at him.

Apparently the City of Toronto has hired ambassadors who will notify people of the clinics in their area which the mayor states will be via door knocking and other community publications. The concern Gurdeep raised was about how much notice people would receive and how they would avoid being overwhelmed.

As someone who is now able to be vaccinated in a hotspot area I am a little annoyed by the lack of information and planning. I cannot just up and leave work to run home because a vaccine truck or clinic is in my area. I need at least a days notice so I can call my work to book a day off for it if needed as well as be there in time to wait in line.

Having someone knock on my door the day of or put something in the Scarborough Mirror (which is no longer delivered to us) is not helpful. In my honest opinion they should be opening up the City of Toronto run clinics to those 18+ in hotspots.

I have a weird feeling I am going to miss getting vaccinated because I only find out from my folks when I get home that they were or are in the area that day.
Here is a good thread from an insider on how sloppy the situation is being handled.

#BREAKING: Ontario is reporting 4,227 new COVID-19 cases on Friday, the second highest daily increase on record since the pandemic began. Eighteen more virus-related deaths were also recorded. ICU admissions also hit another all time high.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7747898/covid-19-ontario-cases-april-9-coronavirus/

I guess our breathless Sylvia Jones finally got the loaves and fishes moment she wanted.

I think it’s pretty clear the government popped this vaccine plan on the PHUs last minute because of the mounting pressure.

But like I said, kudos to Michael Garron Hospital for mobilising so quickly.

It is *always* someone elses' fault with this government - we have seen it with school openings, we have seen it with the current balkanized mess of a vaccine rollout. And imagine we paid to the tune of what, 20K/month to that retired general - for what?

AoD

Back