News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.3K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 632     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 913     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Happy to see this. Especially since the directive from the government is vague and ambiguous and altogether nonsensical.

Stay-at-home order doesn't give police power to enter homes, pull over drivers, stop pedestrians​

No Police State Up In This Piece

The Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police confirmed officers will not be stopping people only to ask about the stay-at-home orders.

"Individuals cannot be compelled to explain why they are out of their residence," spokesman Joe Couto said.

"When people understand that our officers are not going to be looking for people who happen to be out like me walking my dog, I think they will then feel a lot better. Simply getting into their car and going to the grocery store wondering if they're going to see the lights in their back windows is not going to happen."

Couto said police will not be setting up checkpoints to check for COVID-related violations.

"One of the primary reasons is we have a lot to do," Couto said. "Beyond enforcing this, we still have to prevent crime, we still have to address crime when it does happen. Our officers are pretty busy — we're not looking for more business."

Not sure where personal attacks, denigration of people's moral character, and arrogant dismissal falls into the concept of "discussion" either since we're here learning things.

Without art, we are nothing.

Technically untrue. More like without art, we are dumb apes.

It was our introduction of long-chain fatty acids into our diet that caused our brains to grow and jumpstarted significant neurogenesis allowing us to start thinking abstractly....and thus art was born way back when.

I'm sorry I just ruined your very beautiful thought. I'll show myself out.

Technically untrue. More like without art, we are dumb apes.

It was our introduction of long-chain fatty acids into our diet that caused our brains to grow and jumpstarted significant neurogenesis allowing us to start thinking abstractly....and thus art was born way back when.

I'm sorry I just ruined your very beautiful thought. I'll show myself out.

It's ok - my thought is still beautiful.

It's ok - my thought is still beautiful.

Facts!

Also facts: the film industry isn't on the list of "essential" business, unless I missed it so I'm wondering what's up. I'm starting to think that this whole stay-at-home order was just a press conference and noise.

Facts!

Also facts: the film industry isn't on the list of "essential" business, unless I missed it so I'm wondering what's up. I'm starting to think that this whole stay-at-home order was just a press conference and noise.

Tv and Film is 'essential' in Ontario

And....uh............yah..........thanks for that 'Captain Obvious!' :p

So then this whole exercise is the joke I know it to be! Feels good to be vindicated. ✌️

Still can't go skating though or hiking at Mt Nemo because I don't even have a credit card. So they're discriminating against poor people but I guess that's fine these days, as long as the film industry keeps kicking and the political class are allowed their holidays in the sun.

I'm out of work now as well so I really need something to do. 🤔

So then this whole exercise is the joke I know it to be! Feels good to be vindicated. ✌️

Still can't go skating though or hiking at Mt Nemo because I don't even have a credit card. So they're discriminating against poor people but I guess that's fine these days, as long as the film industry keeps kicking and the political class are allowed their holidays in the sun.

I'm out of work now as well so I really need something to do. 🤔

Before you lead a revolution out of sheer boredom; you should know:

1) Skating is still allowed, with 'capacity limits' and max. group size.

If rink is supervised you will be expected to wear a mask.

2) Many hiking trails are open; however, they're in high demand, especially on weekends.

See York Region Forest: https://www.york.ca/wps/portal/york...jmZ86_nAGKNTP9A!!/dz/d5/L2dBISEvZ0FBIS9nQSEh/

Before you lead a revolution out of sheer boredom; you should know:

1) Skating is still allowed, with 'capacity limits' and max. group size.

If rink is supervised you will be expected to wear a mask.

We've been trying to book a slot for weeks to no avail. If we had a real winter I'd just go skating on the lake like a real person.

2) Many hiking trails are open; however, they're in high demand, especially on weekends.

See York Region Forest: https://www.york.ca/wps/portal/york...jmZ86_nAGKNTP9A!!/dz/d5/L2dBISEvZ0FBIS9nQSEh/

Yeah, I was about to head up to York Forests on Sunday but ended up walking around here again like a lost one which is apt for this neighbourhood. Didn't want to drive up there just to get to a packed lot and have to keep wandering. I'll tell ya what though....Halton Conservation can walk off Mt Nemo.

I needed some winter camping gear and a new cross country ski set up but shops are closed and I ain't about to buy any of that stuff online. Else I'd be out of here instead of vexing zang's sensibilities. I might still just head up north anyway and stay at a resort or something. Skate and stuff.

Universe knows I have enough time to do so. Could be out of work til October if I include my previously scheduled 2 months off. Building permits are backlogged from last year.

Vaccinations are totally irrelevant to level of infection in the immediate wave. Vaccinating slightly more people will do precisely nothing to get infection numbers down in the near future. We're vaccinating now to ameliorate the next wave.

---

If they haven't caught it, how can it be "lethal" to them - which is the point. The issue isn't a differential in lethality because what they ate - it is the ability to limit infection - so that they don't catch COVID.

Much like Canada, the number of people infected with the virus in Japan is probably significantly higher than the official number especially when they've done less to prevent the spread than we have. Other than widespread mask wearing, they haven't done much social distancing and they've been allowed to gather in large crowds without their government cracking down on them constantly for it. They're infection numbers are rising somewhat now, lets see if that translates to a jump in deaths.

On the entire continent of Africa they're collectively sitting at 75,000 covid deaths to date out of a combined population of 1.2 billion people. Again I ask are they all combating the virus orders of magnitude better than western countries even with far less resources and advanced medical capabilities? Or does it simply come down to having a younger, healthier population that can fight off the virus much better than western nation's much older populations?

And your second argument - that residents in the homes would have died anyways - pretty clearly indicates all that talk about ring-fencing the homes is a distraction, a red herring - to your ultimate thesis - that we shouldn't bother with controlling the pandemic because people who are most vulnerable to it would be dying soon. It would have saved everyone a lot of time if we had just skipped to the end in this tete-a-tete.

AoD

Seriously is it really that difficult to understand that we should prevent people from dying as much as we can, but it shouldn't come at ALL COSTS? We know that LTC patients are the most vulnerable to the virus, so we should direct the bulk of the resources to protecting them. HOWEVER having said that, that doesn't mean we should protect them and everyone else to such an extreme as to ignore everything else and all the damage caused to our society, our general population and our nation.

As I've been saying, nearly 300 people die EVERY SINGLE DAY of various causes in Ontario and yet we've NEVER stopped everything and asked people to stay home and not allow society to function normally until we figured out how to cut that number by half or even down to a tenth before we said its fine for people to live normally again like we're doing now with covid.

The total number of people who have died during the entire pandemic in Ontario to date, that number can be reached in less than 3 weeks worth of deaths by other causes. This has been going on years before covid and it will continue to go on long after covid is gone and yet few people care about THOSE deaths compared to a covid death which is somehow seen to be so much more important and needs to be prevented at such a massive price.

Does trying to build a straw man argument around your own dislike of lockdowns assuage the inner guilt (I hope) you feel from basically saying "they were going to die anyway"?

Oh, and then there's the 40% dying who *aren't* in LTC.

This isn't about a 'dislike of lockdowns' this is discussing the insane overreaction to a virus that largely doesn't affect the general population and even the most vulnerable population. 5,300 covid deaths to date OUT OF A POPULATION OF NEARLY 15 MILLION in the province. In the same timeframe that we reached those 5,300 virus deaths these past 10 months or so, about 80-90,000 people in Ontario have died by other causes and those deaths occurred in much larger numbers in other age demographics than just the oldest and sickest.

But hey covid deaths >>>>>>>> everything else apparently.

Back