News   Apr 25, 2024
 157     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 335     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 533     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

95 is a good run, but still if the rich and powerful can't protect their loved ones from Covid, we'd better all be careful.

I expect Canada's population of people 90 and order will have dropped by several percentage points by the time this is over. https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1/en/tv.action?pid=1710000501

In 2019 we had 324,461 Canadian residents over age 90. In 2020 we had 334,586, a rise of 10,125 or 3.1%. However in 2020 we saw 17,086 die from Covid, many of whom were in the 90 years or more age group.

Agree but I think the impact will reach lower. The average age of LTC residents is ~85, which means the range reaches down into the high 70s.

The problem is that if you just give up controlling spread, eventually it overwhelm the health care system and we're faced with the choice of triaging all elderly COVID patients so we can deal with the baseline heart attacks, strokes, etc. How would you feel about that if you had a parent that was 70 or so on that list of "you're on your own" with COVID?

How about looking at this issue from a facts perspective? Ontario's website updates the numbers daily:

As you can see, 60% of ALL covid deaths in Ontario occured in long term care homes. About 650 people under the age of 70 have died to the virus to date which means about 1,350 seniors over the age of 70 have died outside of long term care homes. Now consider that there's ALMOST 3 MILLION SENIORS living in Ontario and you tell me how is it that even in the absolute most vulnerable population that has the highest rate of covid deaths why isn't there tens of thousands of deaths in that age group?

Covid is so lethal that it can barely kill even the oldest people outside of long term homes, but we need to take unprecendented measures to stop it? Really? :rolleyes:

And again almost 300 people die EVERY SINGLE DAY in Ontario of various causes long before covid arrived and yet how come we never stopped society from functioning to try and prevent all those deaths? Three days of deaths in any given normal year accounts for all the under 70 covid deaths and about 2 1/2 weeks of daily deaths accounts for EVERY SINGLE covid death in Ontario to date. Again I ask why is dying by covid so much more serious and important than dying by any other cause? To me the simple fact that covid is significantly contagious doesn't justify all the measures to stop it when you look at all the data.

As for preventing hospitals 'from being overwhelmed', maybe we could do that by not continually telling people to stay indoors? We know that transmission outdoors is less likely and also that healthy people are more able to fight off the infection and suffer less from it. Don't you think that's significant part of the reason why even though during the summer when many times more people were out and about, the number of hospitalizations and deaths were still very low? Do you not think that's because people were staying active and keeping their health up so that even if they do get the virus, they don't get sick enough to require hospital care?

So why not allow people to go out and stay active instead of keeping them indoors and having their health decline? And this doesn't even include all the mental and emotional health issues that many people suffer from all these restrictions. Somehow in caring only about stopping the virus so much, many people especially our politicians and 'medical experts' have completely lost sight of all the damage its caused to so many people and in so many faucets of our society and whether all of it is actually worth it.

Its like buying a car. As much as you want a certain car, at some point the cost outweighs the benefit of you buying and enjoying that vehicle and you say its not worth it and walk away from the purchase. To me the cost of taking all these measures to prevent covid deaths that predominately happen among long term care patients and the sick isn't worth all the damage we've caused to ourselves.

Hospitals aren’t going to be snuffing out patients. But they may well have to make tough decisions about how best to allocate scarce resources.

Hey, e.Coli doesn't actually kill that many people who contract it. Perhaps we should just give up on controlling that, too?

We live with the fact that people die everyday for one reason or another and yet we've never shut down society to try and prevent those deaths until now. A contagious yet not very lethal virus that barely affects anyone with even decent health isn't a good enough reason to do all the damage we've done to ourselves so far just to stop it.

There are plenty of terms I'd like to call you right now, but I'll keep those to myself. Other than that, I think you should just leave these forums, period.

Why are you so afraid of differing opinions from yours? Why must we all conform to the same thinking and those who don't 'need to leave'? What a world we live in where diversity of thought and having open, civilized discussions on topics is seen as evil and offensive. 'I don't like what you're saying. You need to either follow the herd or leave'. :rolleyes:

How about looking at this issue from a facts perspective? Ontario's website updates the numbers daily:

As you can see, 60% of ALL covid deaths in Ontario occured in long term care homes. About 650 people under the age of 70 have died to the virus to date which means about 1,350 seniors over the age of 70 have died outside of long term care homes. Now consider that there's ALMOST 3 MILLION SENIORS living in Ontario and you tell me how is it that even in the absolute most vulnerable population that has the highest rate of covid deaths why isn't there tens of thousands of deaths in that age group?

Covid is so lethal that it can barely kill even the oldest people outside of long term homes, but we need to take unprecendented measures to stop it? Really? :rolleyes:

And again almost 300 people die EVERY SINGLE DAY in Ontario of various causes long before covid arrived and yet how come we never stopped society from functioning to try and prevent all those deaths? Three days of deaths in any given normal year accounts for all the under 70 covid deaths and about 2 1/2 weeks of daily deaths accounts for EVERY SINGLE covid death in Ontario to date. Again I ask why is dying by covid so much more serious and important than dying by any other cause? To me the simple fact that covid is significantly contagious doesn't justify all the measures to stop it when you look at all the data.

As for preventing hospitals 'from being overwhelmed', maybe we could do that by not continually telling people to stay indoors? We know that transmission outdoors is less likely and also that healthy people are more able to fight off the infection and suffer less from it. Don't you think that's significant part of the reason why even though during the summer when many times more people were out and about, the number of hospitalizations and deaths were still very low? Do you not think that's because people were staying active and keeping their health up so that even if they do get the virus, they don't get sick enough to require hospital care?

So why not allow people to go out and stay active instead of keeping them indoors and having their health decline? And this doesn't even include all the mental and emotional health issues that many people suffer from all these restrictions. Somehow in caring only about stopping the virus so much, many people especially our politicians and 'medical experts' have completely lost sight of all the damage its caused to so many people and in so many faucets of our society and whether all of it is actually worth it.

Its like buying a car. As much as you want a certain car, at some point the cost outweighs the benefit of you buying and enjoying that vehicle and you say its not worth it and walk away from the purchase. To me the cost of taking all these measures to prevent covid deaths that predominately happen among long term care patients and the sick isn't worth all the damage we've caused to ourselves.
We know what careless containment leads to: we saw it in Northern Italy, NYC, and Wuhan early on. Bodies piling up in refrigerated trucks. Patients not receiving care because the resources aren't there. LTC residents not being cared for. Exponentials care not what you want. You can moan about how the price we paid is not worth it based on the lives lost so far. Had we done nothing we'd have mass graves.

What's the reward for misspeling 'behaviour'? :p

These people have done more of a disservice to their own calls to action in regards to the pandemic than any conspiracy theorist army could possibly hope.

What a joke.

It's doubly disappointing that people who clearly are far more intelligent and educated than the average person still possess such a galling lack of common sense. You'd think such accomplished members of society would be more aware of the optics of certain actions and the heightened scrutiny around them. It makes my head spin. Perfect examples of people with academic smarts utterly lacking in street smarts.

This is what made it to cabinet? Sigh!

From the report, apparently Ontario's cabinet is considering the following new 'restrictions'.

• Gathering limits reduced to as few as five people.
  • Shorter hours for essential businesses, which would involve earlier closures and later openings.
  • Limits on construction activity, but those limits would still allow essential construction to continue. Essential construction would be defined as work on health care and critical infrastructure, as well as residential buildings.
  • A requirement that no employees would be allowed in offices unless they are deemed essential.

Lets address these shall we:

• Gathering limits reduced to as few as five people.
Functionally, there are no public gatherings at the moment, so this is about private homes. There will be no enforcement.
  • Shorter hours for essential businesses, which would involve earlier closures and later openings.
All this does is increase crowding and lineups. That increases risk of transmission rather than decreases it. Basic math, policy fail.
  • Limits on construction activity, but those limits would still allow essential construction to continue. Essential construction would be defined as work on health care and critical infrastructure, as well as residential buildings.
So....this could freeze work on new office towers, but not a whole lot else...............
  • A requirement that no employees would be allowed in offices unless they are deemed essential.
Precisely what is this changing? Most offices are deserted and if they aren't, they're likely filled with 'essential' people.

Exactly zero on factories/meat packing/food processing

Exactly zero on restricting patients/LTC residents per room

Exactly zero on limiting healthcare staff to a single floor or unit, emergencies excepted.

If accurate this represents a continuation of an enormous policy fail.

Back