News   Mar 28, 2024
 570     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 423     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 759     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

On a per capita basis, Peel is running well over 2x the number of Toronto, while York region is up around 3x.

York appears to have flown under the radar based on fewer total cases, but at 200+ per day and only 1.1M people, compared to Toronto's 3M .....

People in Peel don't care. I worked at a house in Caledon today. The family went to some out of town mall to Christmas shop. They came back with a Range Rover full of shopping bags. Lots of Hudson Bay bags. So I know they didn't shop locally.

128704376_10164781961070221_1709220933155586968_o.jpg

I've noticed that York Region has been especially vocal and resistant to being placed under a lockdown. Seems like there's a lot of personal and business interest applying pressure.

As for the comment about people of Peel and not caring about restrictions, a lot work in Vaughan (Hwy 7 corridor) and shop at Vaughan Mills on the weekends.

I've noticed that York Region has been especially vocal and resistant to being placed under a lockdown. Seems like there's a lot of personal and business interest applying pressure.

As for the comment about people of Peel and not caring about restrictions, a lot work in Vaughan (Hwy 7 corridor) and shop at Vaughan Mills on the weekends.

Of course it is - it has been that way since the very beginning. They will be reaping what they sow.

AoD

Of course it is - it has been that way since the very beginning. They will be reaping what they sow.

AoD

Even now as they are far above the lockdown threshold they are trying to convince people they are not requiring a lockdown. These are the sorts of areas that need a FORCED lockdown. I get that they want to save their economy but when case numbers per 100k residents go through the roof that excuse goes out the window.

Even now as they are far above the lockdown threshold they are trying to convince people they are not requiring a lockdown. These are the sorts of areas that need a FORCED lockdown. I get that they want to save their economy but when case numbers per 100k residents go through the roof that excuse goes out the window.

You have a premier and party whose base is in that very area; beholden by the very same interests. Good luck.

AoD

BREAKING: York Region has avoided moving into #COVID19 lockdown. Stays in red zone. The only changes are Middlesex-London and Thunder Bay to the orange zone and Haliburton-Kawartha-Pine Ridge to yellow.

BREAKING: York Region has avoided moving into #COVID19 lockdown. Stays in red zone. The only changes are Middlesex-London and Thunder Bay to the orange zone and Haliburton-Kawartha-Pine Ridge to yellow.

I'm challenged here, because I don't see the lockdowns, as practiced, making much difference; on the other hand, York's numbers are worse than Toronto's or Peel's per capita; so if you have a system, however flawed, it ought to be applied evenhandedly and logically, and that is clearly not the case.

To me this is a serious problem wherever one sits on the lockdown issue.

Decentralized pandemic decision-making doesn't work. It just doesn't work.

There is nothing decentralized - the provincial government (through the premier and the cabinet) are the ones making the calls. The criteria is centrally determined; the order for closure and rules around social gathering comes from the province. The rules around school reopening is provincially determined. Who are the ones who resisted tightening up the rules at the uptick of cases in Fall? The province. Who was caught messing around with criteria determined by epidemiologists and raised them 4x? The province. Who is in a position to reject the request from York (and Halton) to stay open? The province. Who are the ones messing up the messaging around Thanksgiving? The province. Which is the level of government whose CMOH was throwing out rhetorical questions as answers when asked? The province. This is a failure of leadership from the centre, not a failure of what little decentralization there is.

AoD

Last edited:

Back