News   Apr 25, 2024
 211     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Not Fantasy, but REALITY conversions

There is an abandoned building on corner of Ossington & Queen, used to be a rental place. Been boarded up. With West Queen West being so popular now, I think that would be a prime spot for some form of redevelopment.

Haha! About ten years ago that place was a live music venue called "The Generator", but was decidedly a dive. It really is a handsome old historic building however, so it has great potential to become a new trendy spot ala the Drake and the Gladstone, and I think with the complete redevelopment of CAMH across the street that this will become a reality.

There's an abandoned victorian firehall complete with clock tower at the SE corner of Birchmount and Highview (north of Danforth) that I always coveted as an ideal residential conversion. The clock tower would make a very nice office. Any idea what the city plans for this property?

These are all great, everyone.

Thank you so much for participating...and keep 'em coming if you got 'em. And how about you forum regulars? Archivistower, surely you've got a few ideas. Ganjavih? Ed007? Urban Shocker?

adma: Main and Danforth--do you mean the Hakim Optical building on the s/w corner? You've got me confused with the dairy factory thing; that got me to thinking about the old St. Clair Ice Cream Outlet just down the road at Danforth and Kelvin Ave. I remember in the 70s there used to be huge lineups to get in there (in summer, of course).

Anyhow...back to you guys.

DLeB

I've always loved the idea of reusing the silos on the east waterfront or the old smokestack from the generating station and have units cantilevered out from them in different sizes according to unit type. Larger boxes would contain 2bdm or 3bdrm units and the smaller would include the 1bdm units. Have them all staggered in sizes to add some visual interest.

silo.jpg

There's an abandoned victorian firehall complete with clock tower at the SE corner of Birchmount and Highview (north of Danforth) that I always coveted as an ideal residential conversion. The clock tower would make a very nice office. Any idea what the city plans for this property?

It's abandoned? Wow, thanks for the reminder. (And it strikes me as less Victorian than c1920 borderline Wrightian.)

Re Main & Danforth: it's on the south side several blocks W of Main; you can't miss the giant scaffold. (And when inspecting a few years ago, I thought I noticed some kind of dairyish identifier re the building to the rear. But it's not to be confused with St. Clair--which, of course, once also had a sign up on top.)

Maybe five years ago a consolidated firehall and ambulance station was opened on the north side of Danforth west of Birchmount (just east of the railway overpass) which took over for the old firehall.

Okay, thanks adma, for clearing that up...unfortunately I don't have time to go snooping around there in the next few days so I'll have to leave that one out.

Jayomatic: do I have permission to submit your illustration along with my photos to my editor? You can write here or email me privately (and give your real name if you so desire) at:

dave.leblanc@globeandmail.ca

Speaking of the Danforth, here's something very sexy that I was thinking of today...

Shoppers World Danforth, at Victoria Park, whose core (now almost totally Zellers, though until relatively recently w/a "mall court" within) happens to be what's left of a sprawling post-WWI Kahn factory of the "Ford Rouge" variety--the tipsy sawtooth roofline's the giveaway.

How about this--whenever/ifever Zellers pulls out, strip the old factory to its steel-superstructure skeleton and turn it into a truly sublime and monumental public marketplace--think of it as akin to Les Halles dropped onto the Danforth. A true, all-purpose urban landmark and nucleus and gathering spot--and recovering/reclaiming Albert Kahn in the process. You've got it all...

"Shoppers World Danforth, at Victoria Park, whose core (now almost totally Zellers, though until relatively recently w/a "mall court" within) happens to be what's left of a sprawling post-WWI Kahn factory of the "Ford Rouge" variety--the tipsy sawtooth roofline's the giveaway."

I didn't know that. I'd love to see some pictures of the factory. I've heard rumours about its imminent redevelopment for decades. Given its proximity to the subway and the huge amount of land it occupies, I'm amazed that nothing has happened yet.

Places like the Symes Transfer Station could definitely be amazing conversions or commercial spaces with those Art Deco elements. It's unfortunately surrounded by a really uninspiring environment. There's the neighbouring factory, the dirty road and the stench of the slaughterhouse and meat related businesses. If only the location was better, its "pleas" would be answered so much sooner.

Good news! The Symes Transfer Station will become the new home of Junction Craft Brewing.

That's fantastic to hear. If restored, Symes Transfer Station could be a great Art Deco landmark. Developments that restore heritage buildings and provide space for nascent local buisinesses are important from a community revitalization and economic development perspective. If more of the Stock Yards built form had been preserved, restored and repurposed, there would be more value in the area today. Developments like this one are a step in the right direction.

Back