News   Apr 19, 2024
 130     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 816     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 7.7K     2 

North York Council names street "OMB Folly"

So that's how it works here, ban people who don't subscribe to the left wing viewpoints?!?!?

^ Mods, please ban this tinfoil hat douchebag, .

While letting insults like this silde??? :eek:

I've noticed that quite a few poster's who are more "centre or right" seem to get banned...

Can't this site be more about debate and discussion of developments and projects and less political??? I enjoy reading the updates on many of the projects shaping our great city but it discourages me to see this on this site..

Also, please don't ban me for my opinion here.. :eek: , I'm just trying to make a constructive suggestion.

Last edited:
What's left or right wing have anything to do with it? The guy has a problem with the snow dump. Fine he can have that viewpoint. But inserting that topic into non-related threads becomes trolling.

I'm about as "right" as they come on this forum, the oldtimers here will tell you that, but my tolerance for threadshitting only goes so far. That's what activeday was doing when activeday repeatedly evaded the questions put to him/her/it when it became clear that this person had no facts to fall back on when called to account for the claims that were put forward about environmental damage arising from the Downsview "dump". Instead, this person relied on conspiracy theories about city workers covering up alleged environmental crimes (with no evidence of either), so combine that (tinfoil hat) with a refusal to properly debate the points put forward by others and threadshitting in other threads (douchebag), and the glove fits.

Incidentally, that "dump" is simply a staging area for collected snow and the debris picked up by street sweepers prior to being shipped to landfills. Every year there is a pile of snow that accumulates there, and every year it melts away by May, and every year the site is cleared, and re-used as a depository for street sweepers and so on and so forth. I'm sure there are others like it around the city, and last I heard, people living in Downsview (and I used to live there) weren't dropping like flies because of the presence of this facility.

OMB Folly continues – for now
Posted: April 30, 2009, 5:46 PM by Allison Hanes
OMB Folly
OMB Folly will live on for the foreseeable future, after the local councillor secured the support of his colleagues to defer a final debate on the controversial street name.

John Filion (Willowdale), the councillor who first proposed the derogatory moniker out of frustration with an Ontario Municipal Board ruling, said a decision should not be made until a building permit is issued for the site.

He expressed doubt that the project that has generated so much bad blood in his North York ward will ever get built.

Mr. Filion said if this proposed development collapses and is flipped, he would be willing to abide by the wishes of any buyers who materialize down the line. (He noted he still has yet to hear from a single purchaser of the current project).

“Despite the fact my residents and I really like OMB Folly…I respect that people who purchase the units should not have to put a name they disagree with on their drivers’ licenses,†Mr. Filion said.

But several councillors, including Toronto Mayor David Miller, wanted to see the street name overturned once and for all, calling it an embarrassment.

Councillor Denzil Minnan-Wong (Don Valley East) said the point has been made and the issue has gone too far.

“I think we have to change the name and we need to correct the mistake made at North York Community Council,†said Mr. Minnan-Wong.

“What’s next?†wondered councillor Rob Ford (Etobicoke North). “OMB Folly the Second? OMB Folly the Third?... This is very immature.â€

Earlier this week the Mayor called the street name “ridiculous.â€

Councillor Gloria Lindsay Luby (Etobicoke Centre) called in “whimsical.â€

“I think as a city we don’t want to be known for this,†she said.

But Councillor Howard Moscoe (Eglinton Lawrence) said there is broad community support for OMB Folly and that North York Community Council’s bold decision to christen the street has earned him pats of the back across Ontario.

The naming of the private lane associated with a development near the southwest of Yonge Street and Finch Avenue may have started out as a bit of a joke, but councillor David Shiner (Willowdale) said the sentiment it give voice to is “no laughing matter.â€

Well, I assume that "OMB Folly" will be the next baby name for Cletus & Brandine Spuckler...

Classic example of why the OMB continues to exist -- the adolescent behavious of City councillors. If the City really wanted to get rid of the OMB, they'd fix their planning process and ensure that decisions were made on the basis of good planning, not good politics.
I agree totally. What a bunch of irresponsible crybabies.

Back