News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     4 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 500     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.2K     0 

North York Centre Van Attack

of Armenian descent

Glad you included all the information in your post. One short sentence, a Wikipedia link, and race-baiting... Stating his background suggests that it has relevance to his crime despite the fact that you know nothing about him or his motive. It's frankly unproductive and irrelevant at this point to point out where his family hails from, until people put emphasis on his background, like your post does.

Anyways, horrible situation. I've been glad to see the media (less CP24) and government officials treating it with a lot of class and the public remaining calm and going about their days as normal. Thoughts are with all of the families affected.

Last edited:
Glad you included all the information in your post. One short sentence, a Wikipedia link, and race-baiting.

If I may elaborate on this, him being Armenian debunks all conspiracies of this being an Islamic terror attack. That country is 95% Christian, with a very small amount of Muslims. I could tell by the last name, which sounds like the guys in System Of A Down.

If I may elaborate on this, him being Armenian debunks all conspiracies of this being an Islamic terror attack. That country is 95% Christian, with a very small amount of Muslims. I could tell by the last name, which sounds like the guys in System Of A Down.

I don't care what religion Armenians are or what sort of speculation it causes one way or the other, it's irrelevant at this point. If we find out about a motive, that is absolutely relevant, but what nation his family hails from is not the point and I'm sick of people trying to make it the point of these discussions. We don't need more of that crap.

Last edited:
I was very impressed by police chief's composure in the press conference, and the police handling of the situation seemed near perfect.

I'm curious if the police and emergency services plan for a scenario like this in a more heavily urbanized area like downtown. Would the first responders have acted differently or made it to the scene quicker if, heaven forbid, it had happened at King and Bay?

Self-aggrandizement and the pursuit of engagement and attention.

I for one, will wait for Toronto's investigative journalists, TPS and eventually the courts for information on what happened. I don't need the rushed conclusions of US media or free wiki sites.
Johnny is a regular here. We know that he’s not doing it for personal kicks

I'm curious if the police and emergency services plan for a scenario like this in a more heavily urbanized area like downtown. Would the first responders have acted differently or made it to the scene quicker if, heaven forbid, it had happened at King and Bay?

I am sure they plan situations along similar lines - and hospitals hold exercises for Code Orange/Mass Casualties as well - e.g. https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...how_sunnybrook_handled_the_mass_shooting.html

AoD

City of Toronto
Yonge Street Incident
website, at this link.

Toronto Police Services
  • Police are requesting the assistance of the public who may have witnessed this incident.
  • Anyone with information is asked to please call the investigative hotline at 416-808-8750. A web portal has been opened for anyone who is able to submit photos and/or videos of the incident to https://222tips.com/.
  • A separate hotline for anyone missing a friend or family member is 416-808-8085.
  • Police are also asking the public to please refrain from calling 9-1-1 unless they are in a life or death emergency.
  • Visit the Toronto Police Services news release page for updates: http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/newsreleases/.

Road Closures and Transit
  • Toronto Police Service has advised the public to avoid the area around Yonge Street between Sheppard and Finch.
  • Road closures are in place:
    • in both directions on Yonge Street between North York Blvd/Elmwood Ave and Bishop Avenue
    • in both directions on Finch Avenue from Kenneth Avenue to Duplex Avenue
  • All lanes reopened on Yonge Street from Highway 401 to Sheppard Avenue
  • Yonge Street has reopened from Sheppard Avenue to North York Boulevard/Elmwood Avenue
  • North York Boulevard and Elmwood Avenue have reopened as well for east-west traffic.
  • Beecroft Road has reopened.
  • Use Lawrence, York Mills, Steeles & Hwy 7 as east/west alternate routes and Dufferin, Bathurst, Bayview & Leslie as north/south alternate routes until further notice.
  • Subway service has resumed north of Sheppard Station on Line 1, but trains are bypassing North York Centre Station. Shuttle buses are also operating.
  • Follow @TTCnotices on twitter for updates.
City Council Meeting
  • City Council met this morning at 9:30 a.m. to express condolences, and then immediately recessed for the balance of the day.
  • Council will reconvene on Wednesday, April 25 at 9:30 a.m. for its regular meeting.
North York Civic Centre
  • In response to this tragic incident, North York Civic Centre (NYCC) will remain closed on Tuesday, April 24.
  • All meetings and permits scheduled there for April 24 are cancelled.
  • Douglas Snow Aquatics Centre is closed until further notice and all programs and permits are cancelled.
  • Staff located at NYCC are asked not to report to NYCC for work. Staff should check in with their manager or supervisor for further directions. Essential security and maintenance personnel will remain.
  • For updates on the status of North York Civic Centre, follow @TorontoComms on Twitter or call 311.
  • All other City facilities remain open and meetings and public consultations will occur as scheduled.
Protocol
  • The Toronto Sign has been dimmed
  • Flags at Toronto City Hall, civic centres, and Metro Hall are being half-masted, where operationally feasible.

Back