News   Apr 22, 2024
 268     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 683     0 

No cats/dogs Clause in Rental Agreement

Kitsune

Member Bio
Reaction score
So... is there a way around the no pets clause? I know about not telling them and then moving in with the pet, but what are the options the landlord has? Is there really a case to be made regarding allergies in building that uses rad heating and is 4 stories high? Has anyone around here fought a landlord over pets? I'm curious because I found a rental in the beaches that I love... but they say no dogs, and I'm thinking of taking it anyways and keeping the dog.

Residential Tenancies Act, 2006

“No pet” provisions void
14. A provision in a tenancy agreement prohibiting the presence of animals in or about the residential complex is void.

As you mentioned in your original post, say nothing and move in. If you tell the land lord ahead of time then its possible they can "randomly" select another applicant. Once you move in the land lord cant do anything unless the pet is a serious threat, but that’s never a problem for responsible pet owners.

Have you tried to offer a pet deposit to the landlord?
If you offer a fair, or better yet, a substantial deposit, and pay for steam cleaning after you leave that should give the landlord some peace of mind.

The landlord has no right to a damage deposit.

Pets can result in eviction only where they interfere with other tenants' enjoyment of the property or cause damage to the property.

The landlord has no right to a damage deposit.

Pets can result in eviction only where they interfere with other tenants' enjoyment of the property or cause damage to the property.

At least neuhaus was offering some constructive input to this thread as restoring the living space to pre-dog/cat conditions is not an inexpensive proposition.

I was just curious about the reason why the landlord will not allow pets. In these circumstances, it is likely that the landlord never owned pets and are very cautious about damage, pet accidents, and shedding which unfortunately many dogs and cats have that kind of reputation.

I have a dog, and eventhough she is house trained and non destructive, but she does shed a bit, so if I had to rent a place I would gladly offer a deposit and also offer to pay for a professional deep cleaning of the rental when I move. It's just a courtesy that will give the landlord some confidence in renting the place to you. You definitely don't want to ruin your relationship with your landlord by lying about not having a pet -- having them discover this would not be good.

Evicting a tenant for any reason tends to be a very difficult and lengthy proposition to the landlord, so eventhough a tenant can evicted due to a destructive or misbehaving pet it's something that most landlords wouldn't want to deal with.

Everyone: I have a cousin who owned three cats and this reminds me of a predicament that she got herself into in early 1990-she did not inform the landlord she wanted to rent from about her cats after finding about this certain landlord's rule of NO PETS and she ended up having to move after just three months after this landlord gave her this ultimatum:
"You can stay but the cats will have to go" - she chose to move after just three months because she felt that her cats were like her own children.
I remember this well because I helped out in both moves-this was in the Philadelphia suburbs by the way.

Remembering this it definitely pays to check up on how exactly pet-friendly a landlord is and to be honest concerning your pets-it can save you quite a hassle later!

Later in the 90s an apartment building I rented in had an interesting pet policy: Cats were OK but NO DOGS.
I was told that there were liability and insurance issues concerning dogs...

Again it pays to check on a place and their pet policies beforehand...

Thoughts from LI MIKE

I wouldn't lie... why start off on the wrong foot?

it will just be headaches going forward.

Back