News   Oct 04, 2024
 2.2K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 4.1K     5 

Nintendo - A Capella

LOL! Not bad - though it would be nice if they have done a rendition of the original Zelda (and yes I am a sucker for a capella music)

GB

Babel loves a cappella too. If he could sing he'd form his own group of one, become his own audience, and glowingly review the event for friends.

Tonight he's going to hear the ultimate a cappella piece:

"SPEM IN ALIUM" by Thomas Tallis ( 1505-1585 ).
Metropolitan United Church ( 56 Queen East ).
Tickets available at the door $30.

This is the music that Janet Cardiff used in her "40-Part Motet" at the Power Plant last year. She set up 40 speakers around the gallery, each transmitting a different voice in this beautiful piece. It is not a chorus - each voice sings a different part, creating a sea of sound that moves around the listener in waves. Music as visual art. It was originally performed in an octagonal hall by eight choirs each of five voices, lined around the perimiter of the space. The ultimate surround sound experience.

Here's a description:

"As the piece begins, the first 20 parts enter one after the other, each beginning with a similar sounding theme, in a gradually thickening texture which grows audibly. As the 20 voices finish their first theme, the remaining 20 respond with a different figure, again with the voices following one after the other. When the last of these voices has entered, Tallis displays a subtle sense of humour - having reached the fortieth bar, he brings in the full choir of 40 voices."

And tonight it is live.

Tra-la!

Yup I've read about that in the Star!

I've also heard a wonderful rendition of Lotti's Crucifixus A 8 in a recording - not in person however.

GB

A fine concert, and the acoustics in that big church are good. The 40 singers stretched across the transept in a wide arc and the sound pulsed from side to side like a musical version of 'the wave'.

The Tallis Choir is also performing 'Spem in alium' on Sat Dec.3rd at 7:30 p.m. at St.Patrick's Church on McCaul Street.

babel:

I managed to download an okay copy of Tallis' Spem in alium - not bad, but I can't notice the "wave effect".

GB

Live music is always a visual experience.

"it would be nice if they have done a rendition of the original Zelda"

They did - it's the last segment.

scarberian:

Thanks - it wasn't on my copy...so I guess I will need to download it again.

GB

EDIT: It is Zelda indeed - though the laughs are awfully distracting, and the quality of the rendition wasn't nearly as good as the Mario Bros. ones.

You notice it when you're sitting in front of a 40 person choir, or surrounded by 40 speakers in a gallery with each speaker transmitting a separate voice. Sound becomes almost a visual experience.

Back