News   Oct 03, 2024
 555     0 
News   Oct 03, 2024
 368     1 
News   Oct 03, 2024
 890     0 

Niagara bashes Toronto in ad campaign

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...bad-case-of-falls-advertising/article1646719/
The acting mayor said he hopes Ontario’s Tourism Ministry, which oversees the self-funding parks commission at arm’s length, “nicely and informally tells it that it didn’t do the right thing here.”

Government spokeswoman Denelle Balfour said that “the ministry is aware of the concerns,” and had been in contact with Fay Booker, who chairs the commission’s politically appointed governing board.

In an interview, Ms. Booker said the commission will “take another look at the ads,” and that she will raise the matter with commission managers.

“We’re not trying to take unnecessary pokes at anyone,” Ms. Booker said, adding that the ads were meant to promote Niagara as a quiet getaway, and that “trying to grab people’s attention is not the easiest thing to do.”

City TV reported this morning that one of the ads had been pulled because of complaints from T.O. It's kind of surprising they would do this considering how many people in Toronto take day trips to Niagara region regularly. I hate to see this selfish in-fighting amongst cities in the same area, it would benefit everyone to set up huge advertising campaigns to promote the whole region.

It's actually hilarious because Niagara Falls (outside the tourist trap zone) is FAR more of a run down, (white?) trashy place than any part of Toronto.

Aren't they trying real hard to be Canada's "Vegas"? Is that something to be proud of? And what Culture do they have, really? I've heard about the Queen Street zone but have never been.
I admit, I only go to the Falls to cater to some of my more base desires...

I defy anyone to walk three blocks from the tourist strip towards Downtown Niagara Falls.

It is as if 1945 Dresden conceived a city with 1989 Detroit.

As unfair of a characterization that those ads were, I'm still embarrassed by the thin-skinned response of Toronto's media. Articles have taken a decidedly "you've hurt our feelings" approach, as opposed to a "we take exception to your characterization and find it unfortunate that you felt the need to rely on these crude caricatures".

The real issue here is that Toronto and Niagara should be working together, not as competitors. The tourism sector is struggling enough, we don't need to pit neighbours against eachother. No one wins when that happens.

on the other hand

Maybe rather than being defensive we should ask if there's some truth in the ads. Toronto is certainly dirtier and less civil than it used to be.

Maybe rather than being defensive we should ask if there's some truth in the ads. Toronto is certainly dirtier and less civil than it used to be.

Dirtier compared to when?

Less civil by what accounts?

Also, this is you:

abe_simpson.gif

and NF is even worse...

Edit: The US-redneck quotient there is definitely higher. might have something to do with the fact that - despite NF's squalor, it's still far better than Niagara Falls USA or even Buffalo!

Last time I was at Fallsview, an idiot redneck in an F-150 blew through a stop sign in the underground parking and almost nailed my car, before giving me the finger and shouting a profanity at me... his plates? New york! no surprise there...

Last edited:
Anybody who's been to downtown Niagara Falls in the last 10 years, knows that NF has no grounds to criticize Toronto. The first time I saw it, I was in shock. It was, and still is, in really bad shape, so maybe they should get their own house in order before they start bashing us. Toronto is the easy target because we all know how the rest of Canada feels about us. (the jealous MoFos!) Everybody knows we're cool, they just hate to admit it. lol

Back