News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 612     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 896     0 

News on retail chains (was: New Mall Retail)

Really! another one!
I can't believe people think that Sherway is far away from Square One. One of the stores at Sherway didn't have what I was looking for, so when I went to Square One instead and told the clerk there I was just at the Sherway location she looked at me perplexed and said 'that's a far way to come'!!

It's about a 10km jaunt across the Queensway... do people think it's far because one is in Toronto, and the other Mississauga, or am I missing something?

It DOES seem pretty far from Sherway to Square One. Maybe it is just psychological, but I'd consider Sherway out of the way for me. I live by the 401, and I know it's only about 15-20 minutes by highway, but it just seems soooo far. I go downtown more than I go to Sherway.

The US is way more of a consumerist society tha Canada I think. They have way oversaturated markets. Look how many Starbucks closed in the past year in the US. They just seem to build way too many locations, regardless of how well individual stores do, and demand.

A&F and Holister are getting there a$$es kicked in the US and although sales have remained relatively robust in Canada it will be a while before they build another store...I guess the down economy has consumers questioning the need for a new "vintage" style $45.00 T-shirt that looks identical to the one they bought 15 years ago. Not to mention the fact that despite America's expanding waste lines their commitment the "Athletic cut" prohibits 75% of the American (50% of Canadian) public from ever dreaming of fitting into their clothes.

I like the brand but they should have changed more than their T-shirt slogans and responded to the needs of their customers YEARS ago if they wanted to avoid 45% sales decreases (recession or not). Their arrogance got the better of them and it could cost them their business.

Disclosure: My kid is a A&F designer and works at their campus in Ohio.:)

I can't wear their stuff; not in my middle age; like you said you need an athletic drop from chest to waist to wear their stuff.

Their product range is actually larger than T shirts. Their collared shirts are actually quite quite nice for the money and extremely well and over constructed, and again, if you have the figure, flattering.

I suppose they have a market and advertise to it. The big and tall store has theirs. And Ralph Lauren. And no one ever knocks Polo for their exceedingly middle of the road customers or their massive overstocks winding up at Winners.

I agree that they speak very well to their demographic. What frustrates me with their company is how they have not adapted to demographic or social trends.

To me the greatest example of their inability to react to the needs of a consumer was the launch of their REUHL brand. It was the new AF to appeal to the 28+ crowd as they become too old or tired of AF and earn more money. I was excited to visit their store in Tampa (I am their prime customer - 30+ and a previous fan of AF), basically it was the same AF designs, with a 25% price hike. I wear Large at Banana and can barely squeeze into an XL at Reuhl. The stores, while cool, were impossible to navigate with my son's stroller, dark, music cranked and the usual unapproachable staff. So rather than appealing the 30-45 demographic their new brand appeals to the 27-29 demographic.

Rather than dropping $45.00 US on a few T shirts and $60 on some ripped cargos I went across the mall to the BOSS store, got serviced to death, didn't feel like an old, morbidly obese stalker and spent less money.

I think Reuhl have all closed BTW.

The US is way more of a consumerist society tha Canada I think. They have way oversaturated markets. Look how many Starbucks closed in the past year in the US. They just seem to build way too many locations, regardless of how well individual stores do, and demand.

I do agree that the USA is slightly more consumerist than Canada but that this is probably more to do with greater choice, and the whole saturation thing more to do with more extensive supply lines and access to economies of scale etc. The one chain even approaching American scale in Canada is Tim Horton's and we'd probably consider it fairly over saturated too.

I do agree that the USA is slightly more consumerist than Canada but that this is probably more to do with greater choice, and the whole saturation thing more to do with more extensive supply lines and access to economies of scale etc. The one chain even approaching American scale in Canada is Tim Horton's and we'd probably consider it fairly over saturated too.

Tim Hortons over-saturated? Surely you jest.

Huh? There are about 40 Tim Horton's in Mississauga, if you factor in drive thrus and gas station kiosks . There are 4 along Dixie Road, 5 or 6 along Dundas, way too many - yet line ups any time you go.

http://maps.google.com/maps?source=...local_group&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CB8QtgMwAA

Look at all those pink dots!

I'm sorry, I was saying the opposite of what I meant. You know, trying to be funny/amusing. Clearly my smileys didn't betray my true feelings.

There is a Tim Hortons at Creditview & Britannia, then there's another at Britannia & Silken Laumann, then another around the corner at Mavis & Boyer, and then another one down the street at Britannia & Hurontario. So yes, I think Tim Hortons is the epitome of oversaturation. Not that that's hurt their business, otherwise I don't think they'd be expanding like that.

EDITED AGAIN TO ADD (to avoid double-posting): Whole Foods coming to Square One along with previously announced Crate & Barrel. See the leasing page: http://www.oxfordproperties.com/leasing/LoImages/rfp/29810_RFP.pdf page 4

EDITED x3: Journeys, an American shoe store is coming to Square One as well (June 2010 according to the leasing plan, but its been unreliable for opening dates in the past). Just what Square One needed: yet another shoe store. Although the store's website does look pretty funky: http://www.journeys.com/ It appears to be their first store outside of the US.

Last edited:
Nice find with the Whole Foods confirmation...this is not good for the wallet...

They have been working hard on that site lately. 2010 openings seem realistic.

Good find on the confirmation of Whole Foods.

As I first reported months (years?) ago, LOL, ago Whole Foods is coming here (Square One), to Hullmark in North York (Yonge/Sheppard) and to Yonge/Eglinton (tentative w/condo that has not yet gone to market).

So far Whole Foods officially hasn't confirmed any of these sites, but Tridel confirmed Whole Foods a while back; I'd been checking on the Square One site periodically but had almost forgotten.

There's another strong Rumour started by someone else here, and confirmed by some Real Estate types......that Whole Foods is sniffing around about relocating its Yorkville Store.

Haven't heard about the other 2 locations that were in the plans (Richmond Hill and Sherway for quite awhile)

Thank you x2. I check Square One's and Oxford's website from time to time to see if there's any updates. Once I saw there was 4 pages to the Oxford leasing plan page, I knew the 4th page would be that new section of Square One Dr./Hammerson Dr. I was just pleasantly surprised that Crate & Barrel AND Whole Foods were on there.

Whole Foods? Ugh. I've never been in one, but the prices I've heard are very expensive. I'm disappointed that we're getting a specialty grocery store, and not a Sobeys, Loblaws or Superstore.

Last edited:
Whole Foods? Ugh. I've never been in one, but the prices I've heard are very expensive. I'm disappointed that we're getting a specialty grocery store, and not a Sobeys, Loblaws or Superstore.

While they are more expensive then a regular grocery store they also carry a lot of products and brands that you won't find in the others. The quality of their prepared foods is excellent, too and I very much like their cafe.

With so many other grocery stores just outside of the MCC I guess the market studies demonstrated a demand for a specialty store.

Back