News   Apr 19, 2024
 197     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 864     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 8.2K     2 

News on retail chains (was: New Mall Retail)

Bench coming to Square One in August.

Oh wow really? That's pretty cool. *checks official site quickly* would be their 3rd Toronto store after Eaton Centre and Fairview.

EDIT: Been looking at Square One's most recent leasing plan and can't find it on there. Any idea where it's going?

The map (dated June 3, 2009) indicates Apple opening Sept. 2009.

Last edited:
The Square One website confirms Bench (http://www.bench.co.uk) coming soon. Coming soon also is PINK by Victoria's Secret coming soon (http://www.vspink.com). Apparently PINK is their sub-brand geared toward high school and college girls. I believe this would be the first Victoria's Secret store to open in Canada (excluding La Senza of course, which only became part of Limited Brands relatively recently).

Last edited:
Eaton Centre is too close to Bloor for a Burberry. And it also isn't as high-end of a mall - EC is probably half to one notch below Yorkdale (at least), IMHO anyway....

What makes Eaton Centre a half a notch below Yorkdale? The latter is nice, but I don't see what makes it that much better. The stores are pretty much the same.

What makes Eaton Centre a half a notch below Yorkdale? The latter is nice, but I don't see what makes it that much better. The stores are pretty much the same.

Easy. Yorkdale has a few higher end stores that EC does not have (e.g. Tiffany, Burberry, Holt's). However, both malls boast annoying students. At least EC seems to get more post-secondary types...

I think Oxford must be a little better than Cadillac Fairview for getting high-end retailers. Oxford manages Yorkdale, Square One, as well as Dufferin Mall. Cadillac Fairview manages Eaton Centre, Sherway Gardens, Markville, Promenade, Fairview, Erin Mills. Anyone care to guess why shitty malls like Markville, Promenade and Erin Mills have H&Ms? ;)

Promenade has American Apparel, Coach, Lucky Jeans, Aroma, Tommy Hilfiger, Rocky Mtn Chocolates...pretty downscale, eh?

When's the last time you were there?

Sherway has some of the highest sales psf in the country; not to mention a very select roster of shops. Sure, Yuckdale has a few labels, but mixed with that are a few stores Sherway would never allow in the mall!

Lol!

I'm pretty sure it's demographics and location, not Oxford vs. CF that determines mall tenants. Cadillac Fairview has Pacific Centre in Vancouver, including such tenants as a 137,000 square foot Holt Renfrew (with designers rivaling and sometimes surpassing those in the Toronto Holt's), Max Mara, Hugo Boss, Zegna, Coach, Browns flagship, and the usual mall-stores. 20vic is re-vamping Calgary's Core, including a new Holt Renfrew and massive new Harry Rosen store. (http://www.coreshopping.ca). Ivanhoe Cambridge has some excellent properties, including Oakridge Mall in Vancouver (Michael Kors, Hugo Boss, Max Mara, Browns, Coach, DKNY, Boss Orange, Boss Woman, etc.) and Place St. Foy in Quebec City (Including Simons, Les Ailes and Holt Renfrew department stores).

Last edited:
Promenade has American Apparel, Coach, Lucky Jeans, Aroma, Tommy Hilfiger, Rocky Mtn Chocolates...pretty downscale, eh?

When's the last time you were there?

Never been. Just naming off some of CF's less known malls. The fact that CF has Eaton Centre gives CF bargaining power to get stores in its other less visible malls that might not otherwise get certain stores.

Oops! That's what I meant (as I had posted the announcement without a date previously). Thanks for the correction :) Bed, Bath & Beyond is slated to go into Aura.

I agree with Vancouverguy this is more about demographics than corporations.
Yorkdale is upscale and Bayview Village is also upscale, but not owned by any of the majors.

I'd actually say, with the renos of Fairview and Promenade, CF has been aiming rather upscale lately. I don't know how well the new Coach store at Promenade is doing, nor the Bath & Bodyworks at Fairview given that they opened as the economy tanked, but they're definitely aiming high.

Back