News   Apr 18, 2024
 521     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 4.1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.2K     4 

News on retail chains (was: New Mall Retail)

Jeez NL. You are starting to make NORAD look effective lol.

Thanks for the update.

Have there been any invasions of Canada or the U.S. lately that I missed? LOL, I think I can live w/that comparison.

Simply put, I promised to look into this further, I did; and I found something i didn't expect. C'est la Vie. Still trying to get some clarity.

Alimentation-Couche-Tard better known here as Circle K is in talks to buy a British giant w/similar holdings mostly in Europe and Australia

This would take them from 15,000 outposts worldwide to 21,000.

They would remain Headquartered in Quebec, if successful.

The Gateway Newstands chain have filed for bankruptcy:

As I said in another thread I'm not surprised. INS is gaining ground and are a much better store overall.

The problem with Gateway is that they are beholden to the limitations of working in subway stations for the most part. You can only do so much with the existing locations and quite frankly they aren't very customer friendly.

Just now I went into INS in the York Concourse to get a lottery ticket. It was spacious, well stocked and the staff were friendly. They are reasonably priced all things considered.

Go to Gateway and what do you find? Tiny stores with limited selection and staff who would rather not be there. They are overpriced considering what they sell.

Don't be surprised if they disappear altogether.

GoodGood Cafe continue to actively increase their presence in the city, with new locations opening at 410 Adelaide Street West and 709 Queen Street West, on May 26:

Mary Brown’s Chicken buying Ontario’s Fat Bastard Burrito chain

June 15, 2022

The parent company of Mary Brown’s Chicken has signed an agreement to acquire Fat Bastard Burrito Co.

Financial terms of the deal were not immediately available.

MB International Brands says the acquisition will combine two highly complementary franchise networks and create one of the largest privately held quick-service restaurant companies in Canada.

The burrito chain was founded in Toronto in 2010 and operates or has under development over 75 locations across Ontario.

Mary Brown’s Chicken was founded in St. John’s, N.L., in 1969 and has around 215 stores across Canada.

The transaction is expected to close on June 30.

ABURI Market, a high end Japanese grocery store concept, have opened their first location in Vancouver.

Still in the early stages but they mention about expanding into the Toronto market in the future:

“We plan to open, looking at different options in Toronto or somewhere else. But we’re also looking at smaller concepts. ABURI Market is our flagship and we would have smaller stores strategically located in areas that we feel it’s a good market for,” he said.

Galleria Supermarket are planning to open at 4950 Yonge St (few blocks north of Sheppard).

Rumours floating around on this thread mention that their store on Yonge north of Steeles will close in the future as the property is reportedly expected to be redeveloped:

On a separate note, I also saw signage for a smaller format Galleria Supermarket store to open on the east side of Yonge just north of Eglinton, a few units north of the E Condos building.

Last edited:
Galleria Supermarket are planning to open at 4950 Yonge St (few blocks north of Sheppard).

The Madison Centre:

1658669243565.png

@Edward Skira reported on this back in June in the Pearl Place thread:

1658669391203.png

Post here: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...y-group-richmond-architects.8350/post-1832624

In Indigo news.............they continue to move to a store that sells almost everything except books, LOL...

They are now testing a large beauty section in a Vancouver store....over 1,300ft2

So they now sell Dolls, Linens, Candles, Cookware, Leggings/Reading Socks......

Oh....and a few books, that go w/same.

Indigo continues to diversify its product lines, according to the Financial Post:

No it's not just Beauty Products, Board Games, 'Reading Socks' and stone bakeware anymore (with a book here or there)...........no.....

They've added Vibrators to their product line......

A logical accessory to the Erotica section of books.........I suppose.

Indigo continues to diversify its product lines, according to the Financial Post:

No its not just Beauty Products, Board Games, 'Reading Socks' and stone bakeware anymore (with a book here or there)...........no.....

They've added Vibrators to their product line......

A logical accessory to the Erotica section of books.........I suppose.
Is that going to be merchandized next to the Legos? Interesting choice...

Guessing it will be tamer, more abstract toys/"massagers" and not so much anatomically correct.

Back