350     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 440     0 

NEW: TTC Subway/RT Service Status Page

299 bloor call control.

Member Bio
Reaction score
http://www.toronto.ca/ttc/disruptions_current.htm

The TTC finally has a disruption page for the subway/RT system... it's supposed to be updated upon a "major" disruption in service... though yesterday around 5:15pm, I noticed there was a major backlog of passengers wanting to go southbound at Bloor-Yonge, indicative of a service disruption, but upon checking the page a few minutes later, there was no mention of any delay.

So we'll see if it actually works...

Just in time for the inevitable snow related shutdowns of the RT.

Glad to see the TTC hopping on this whole Web 1.0 bandwagon. Shades of their massive Website RFP.

Dear TTC: the regularly-updated Web page is neat, but sort of a pull solution to a push problem. (Assuming some of us will not constantly check said page.) Could you do that as, maybe, an RSS feed? Adding that should cost you very close to, um, nothing.

I feel sorry for the TTC employee who every time there's a delay will have to open notepad, edit the HTML, look up the hexadecimal RGB codes for each line's colour, connect to the web server with his 14.4, open Telnet, and upload the updated page.

And that's after getting the notice of the delay off the pigeon's leg.

honestly though.. they could easily in the Web 1.0 ways to put in a frame (instead of that damn ticker) on the front page that's linked to a simple .txt file. No HTML needed. A first grader can update that.

GO's service updates page is pretty sad too. Usually lets you know of delays after they happened. Like a "The 2:35pm train from Burlington departed 20 minutes late" message posted at 3:30pm.

how about we be a little more guerilla about this... start a simple blog that a reliable group of people can text in any delays that they experience and this becomes updated right away...

They are getting better with the OneStop screens.
A few days ago I saw a message advising of a detour for the Spadina streetcar.
It would be better if it changed colour or flashed when it had a warning up though.

I think it would be best actually if it wasn't a ticker. If you're in a rush and you see that there's an alert that could potentially alter your travel plan, you don't have time to wait for it to slowly tick the details to you. That's my biggest pet peeve. Especially when you see the tail end of an alert and you have to wait for the ticker to go through the "Welcome to ___ Station" then start the alert again... that's a good 20-30 second wait.

Back