News   Aug 07, 2020
 404     0 
News   Aug 07, 2020
 456     0 

New Park - Spadina and Adelaide

Northern Light

Member Bio
Reaction score
CBC has a story today that Councillor Cressy got council blessing to convert the Green P lot at the corner
of Spadina and Adelaide to a park.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...-its-way-into-the-king-spadina-area-1.4769353

Looking at the site, expensive as it may be, I would be inclined to have the City buy the adjacent low-rise.

The site is very tight as is; and apparently Cressy would like both a Dogs-Off-Leash-Area and a play space for children.

Buying the additional land would allow that to be done more usefully and better, not only because of the additional land, but because of the shape of the site.

arch_on_

Member Bio
Reaction score
Great idea! I think this space (adjacent bldg included) wants to be more of a classic urban plaza with a berczy-style fountain rather than an off-leash park.

sche

Member Bio
Reaction score
This is a really tiny park, wow. There’s maybe enough space for a path and a few benches and trees, possibly a really tiny playground, not much more. I’d rather close the southern half of Clarence Sq (the road) and expand that park south and east into that parking lot (though it seems that lot is privately owned and would be expensive to expropriate)

Northern Light

Member Bio
Reaction score
This is a really tiny park, wow. There’s maybe enough space for a path and a few benches and trees, possibly a really tiny playground, not much more. I’d rather close the southern half of Clarence Sq (the road) and expand that park south and east into that parking lot (though it seems that lot is privately owned and would be expensive to expropriate)
There's a large development proposal for that parking lot already.

We have a thread for it.

I agree though, that focusing on getting some larger spaces makes sense.

I thought a real opportunity was lost when the former Otis building became a Condo site; instead of allowing University Settlement to move over and add the footprint of the existing building and road to Grange Park.

Sigh.

sche

Member Bio
Reaction score
There's a large development proposal for that parking lot already.

We have a thread for it.

I agree though, that focusing on getting some larger spaces makes sense.

I thought a real opportunity was lost when the former Otis building became a Condo site; instead of allowing University Settlement to move over and add the footprint of the existing building and road to Grange Park.

Sigh.
That sucks. I guess tiny parks are still better than no parks.