News   Apr 25, 2024
 128     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 388     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 

New Corktown (567 Shuter St., Longo, 3s townhomes, Kirkor)

B

badga416

I was down at the Distillery on Sunday and saw what I guess was a "release" party taking place in one of the old tankhouses for what ended up being a new townhome development at Shuter and River.

567 Shuter

Note the feature "Gated community for peace of mind"

Note the Vic-schtick architecture.

I know that Corktown is full of heritage buildings and has a Victorian character, but dropping in new faux-Victoriana will not enhance that character, it will ersatzify it. (Ersatzerate?)

Why can't we have more townhouses in vein of Radio City's? Something that doesn't pretend to be from another age?

...albeit part of being in our age is pretending to be in other ages...

Vic-schtick - I love that!

We are not very good at the modern townhouse (or even house). There is still way too much of this vic-schtick going on. We can't recreate the beauty of the era so why bother?

speaking of vic-shtick, the star of downtown has announced its phase two, which involves a handful of "victorian" townhomes

This is the sort of thing that could be better, could be worse. I assume that garages are off a rear lane, a positive feature. The fact that the community is "gated" is the big negative IMO. These so-called communities are in fact cut off from the city around them. It's an unfortunate trend.

I actually thought that the four faux-Victorian townhouses to the west of this development (just down Shuter, other side of the park, south side), the ones completed last year, were quite nicely done.

Looking at the rendering, I'd like to know where that verdant forest is exactly.

"The fact that the community is "gated" is the big negative IMO."

I don't see anything gated in the rendering

" I'd like to know where that verdant forest is exactly"

a gigantic cinderblock wall won't help in selling units

Mark: The gate isn't in the rendering because a visual depiction of a gate and a fence doesn't convey the right image for marketing purposes. It sounds nice but doesn't actually look so nice in a drawing. :p

Likewise as you indicated, the "forest" is there because it looks nice and aids the marketing effort, not because it might resemble reality.

i was hoping that the thread title refered to the old boarded up townhouses across form moss park

quite a let down

Exactly the same for me - I was hoping we would finally see those Georgian beauties fixed up. They could be beautiful, but years after beiong boarded up they remain eyesores.

Back