News   Mar 28, 2024
 323     0 

New Canadian Film "One Week"

christof53

Member Bio
Reaction score
oneweek1.jpg

"One Week"
When a young man is confronted with his mortality, he takes a cross-country road trip on a vintage motorcycle. One Week tells the story of Ben Tyler (Joshua Jackson), in his mid-twenties, who flees from the confines of his life—an impending marriage, a job he’s not entirely happy with and a recent diagnosis—in order to attempt to live more fully. What starts off as an ill-defined venture soon morphs into a quest for the West Coast.

Starring:
Joshua Jackson
Liane Balaban
Campbell Scott
Gord Downie and Joel Plaskett

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOaYQTHNTrc

Showtimes for Toronto: http://www.cinemaclock.com/aw/cmva.aw/ont/Toronto/e/16559/One_Week.html

I actually think this looks pretty good, however I am biased due to my strong Canadian patriotism.

Last edited:
Not to stereotype, but the character sounds like the kind of Forest Hill kid who ends up going to Dal.

I've given up on judging a film by its trailer, but this looks like a typical Canadian-exploitation movie. I'm sure the plot and acting will be ok, if not good, but the trailer makes use of all of the tired cliches our movies tend to use. Frankly I'm surprised they didn't use Bobcaygeon in the trailer, it would probably be the first Canadian film not to have a Hip song in it (but they covered that base w/Sam Roberts...). "Canadian" is not a genre, and I am sick of Canadian film directors just throwing in as many cliched pseudo-cultural cliches of ours into a bag, shaking, and calling it a movie.

Ohh, and one of those pseudo cultural cliches bet this will include is that life in a city is unnatural, and un-Canadian. Maybe I am reading too much into the trailer, but it seemed like every other Canadian movie, people who live in cities are cold, pretentious and materialistic pansies, only some guy who buys a POS motorbike, dresses up like a Village Person and jumps in a dozen lakes is a "real" Canadian. I doubt Vancouver will get much screen time, nor will Calgary, nor will Winnipeg, nor Toronto, nor Ottawa, nor Quebec or pretty much any place where you don't have a boil water advisory during the summer.

One reason why I liked Bad Cop Bon Cop was because it didn't attempt to be anything more than a Canucxplotation flick, so it dropped the pretensions and had more fun making fun of the real and imagined cultural differences between Anglos and Francophones.

One reason why I liked Bad Cop Bon Cop was because it didn't attempt to be anything more than a Canucxplotation flick, so it dropped the pretensions and had more fun making fun of the real and imagined cultural differences between Anglos and Francophones.
That was a great movie...until it started making fun of Gary Bettman. I'm no fan of Gary Bettman, but that movie went downhill fast when they started chasing after a midget.

Yet another Canadian film tainted by the Tragically Hip!
20090305howabout.jpg

The best English Canadian movie is probably Cube or Waydowntown, because you can't tell they are "Canadian" at first glance.

Uhh... pretty sure American movies are filled with American music.

I guess also, by the logic displayed in this thread, people in India think Bollywood films suck.

And for what it's worth, My Life Without Me is my favourite Canadian film.

Hey, at least the main character Ben Tyler (Joshua Jackson), is riding a great bike in that Norton Commando. I ride a 1960s Triumph myself. Now, if this were a truly Canadian film, he'd be riding a 1970s Canadian-made Bombardier Can-Am motorcycle, or even better, the new Can-Am Spyder, http://spyder.brp.com/

Now, if you want to see a wrecked film industry, look at Britain. Even their Bond movies have been taken over by American studios, using mostly American stars in the female role, etc.

Uhh... pretty sure American movies are filled with American music.

Its not so much that Canadian movies use Canadian music, it is that they use Canadian music solely in a poorly thought out nationalistic sense. The end result is that 80% of Canadian movies have the Tragically Hip. I don't mind the Tragically Hip, but they shouldn't be involved in every bloody movie.

Well look at how many American movies are made compared to Canadian. I'm sure the proportion of Canadian films with Canadian tunes is similar to the proportion of American movies with American music. I agree that the Hip might be overused, but other bands are certainly getting their share, including Broken Social Scene who did an entire score for a movie (and I believe another one coming up).

Back