News   Apr 19, 2024
 429     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 762     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 767     1 

New Apartment Buildings?

Sure. There's all those TCHC buildings at CP, 60 Richmond St E, that one at Adelaide and Ontario, Regent Park etc.

Private developed ones? Vivere in Yonge and Eglinton area, several north on Bathurst, beside One City Hall at Bay and Dundas a new rental tower is due to start construction this summer, several more planned on the eastside, Queen and Lisgar area is getting some more soon, etc.

While we are on this topic, can anyone recommend "newer" apartments that are clean and well managed? All I'm looking for is something downtown or near downtown with central air. My building was so great when I moved in but now it is being run into the ground by the REIT who owns it and it's time to go. I'm looking for a two bedroom under $1800/month. And no, I'm not at a point in my life where I want to buy.

I don't know if you'd consider Queen West. I was in that newish apartment building on Lisgar for the first time last weekend and left rather impressed--yeah, the suites are smaller than my 1960's slab but it's modern, clean, quiet and seems to be affordable.

There's also a new rental building under construction at Mt. Pleasant and Erskine.

I lived there for two months in between selling & waiting for a condo to be completed & hated it. My friends lived in there ("The Americana"), the rent was cheap and big apartments but there were bugs and the building was an all 'round dump plus I disliked the area intensely. Too far from downtown too.

I don't know if you'd consider Queen West. I was in that newish apartment building on Lisgar for the first time last weekend and left rather impressed--yeah, the suites are smaller than my 1960's slab but it's modern, clean, quiet and seems to be affordable.

I love Queen the W W area, is this the building south of Queen? I think it's a Medallion property if it's the one I'm thinking of.

I lived there for two months in between selling & waiting for a condo to be completed & hated it. My friends lived in there ("The Americana"), the rent was cheap and big apartments but there were bugs and the building was an all 'round dump plus I disliked the area intensely. Too far from downtown too.

You're referring to an old apartment building, obviously. A brand new apartment building right at the NW corner of Mt. Pleasant & Erskine (across from 900 Mt. Pleasant condo building on SW corner) is being constructed. They have a model suite on the construction site.

I've lived at Yonge & Eg for a long time and while I'm anticipating my move to St. Lawrence Market, I wouldn't consider Yonge & Eg too far from downtown considering it's on the subway line. It takes someone living on King West a longer time to get to Union Station than I do. In big cities, distance is relative to the infrastructure that's in place. With that said, I never go north of a few blocks of Eglinton and am always heading downtown. North of Lawrence is out of the question for me. Taking the subway to Sheppard feels like an eternity.

I am referring to this ugly 5 year old Lisgar apartment building --cheapish rents, ($1050 for a small one bedroom in this area is cheap compared to renting a condo) with decent interior quality. The building has many artists and area small business people living in it. The only negatives to living here is all the construction that is set to start--public housing buildings across the street, Art condos nearby, etc--and the disgusting douche bags that create noise at night going to all the nearby bars--aka those drake and social ho's....

Last edited:
The only negatives to living here is all the construction that is set to start--public housing buildings across the street, Art condos nearby, etc--and the disgusting douche bags that create noise at night going to all the nearby bars--aka those drake and social ho's....

Sounds like somebody doesn't get invited to enough parties...

I've lived at Yonge & Eg for a long time and while I'm anticipating my move to St. Lawrence Market, I wouldn't consider Yonge & Eg too far from downtown considering it's on the subway line. It takes someone living on King West a longer time to get to Union Station than I do. In big cities, distance is relative to the infrastructure that's in place. With that said, I never go north of a few blocks of Eglinton and am always heading downtown. North of Lawrence is out of the question for me. Taking the subway to Sheppard feels like an eternity.

I guess it all depends as to what you get used to. I lived on Mt. Pleasant & Eglinton( actually Soudan) for a while. It did not seem to be too far from downtown. I have been living in RoCp1 since 2006. I walk all over. If I have to, I will get used to living on Yonge & Eg once again. I will not find it far away from downtown. There are lots of resturants/bars on Yonge North of Eglinton.

I have a suggestion, dt. Please check your PM.

While we are on this topic, can anyone recommend "newer" apartments that are clean and well managed? All I'm looking for is something downtown or near downtown with central air. My building was so great when I moved in but now it is being run into the ground by the REIT who owns it and it's time to go. I'm looking for a two bedroom under $1800/month. And no, I'm not at a point in my life where I want to buy.

Back