Toronto The George | ?m | 4s | Old Stonehenge | Studio JCI

Daytime view:

5e7e837783bf34b3bef15b41_197 King East 3-23-2020 V1-min.jpg

I dunno...something is a bit off with that massing on top. It seems to distract from the overall building. Then again, I'm not sure how one would "hide" that 4 story addition so it isn't.

Interesting to see that the roof turret is retained in the latest design- I wonder what it originally looked like?

Can't find any historic pictures of it, but I feel that it might have had a more elaborate roofline in the past.

https://www.blogto.com/city/2014/02/what_king_street_used_to_look_like_in_toronto/

Not sure if that’s it. But, I found an old picture (possibly) in BlogTO. Fifth picture from bottom says ditto 1980 above it. Hope it helps or was close. Ok looked closer sorry it’s not. My bad
I think that was the building was on King and Bathurst, and replaced by a rather dull office building-

From what I found on OldTO- the building had already gained its current appearance by the 70s:

s0841_fl0020_it0031.jpg

It would be great if corner turret was restored to its early-20th century condition during this reno. Maybe the city could make some sort of trade-off that would see the pyramid roof and flagpole properly re-installed. Dunno.

The work on this project seems to be moving along V-E-R-Y slowly but there are workers on site, occasionally. Clearly not a high priority to the developers.

It's funny, they aren't there often, but when they show up, they usually show up with a pretty huge crew. I have no idea what they're doing in there with that many people.

Back