News   Mar 28, 2024
 554     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 846     0 

My CNE visit; just a 1/2 dozen pics.

Mustapha

Member Bio
Reaction score
You either love or hate this place.:p Gramps brought me here back in the day. I do miss the Shopsys. The Wild Mouse too. They used to give away LIVE kittens and budgies as Bingo prizes.

The corn dogs are sublime. I'll be back again for the air show.

There is a nice historical photo and artifacts display from the CNE archives on display in the Richoh Centre.

The new TTC subway car is on display too.

The Armed Forces display is quite comprehensive; they even had a live band (guitar, bass, vocalist; not bagpipes and marching:)), even a Centurion tank.:eek: I drove Ferrets in the reserves; armed with a .30 cal - just enough firepower to make yourself a nuisance and bring you to the attention of an enemy battery.:p

The Ontario Farms exhibit is in the Better Living Centre as the old location - the Automotive Building - has been gutted for some reason or other. Lots of cute animals here, including a great display of baby chicks. I leaned over and whispered to a enraptured two year old that they would be eaten when they grew up. [standing by for Urban Shockers double-entendre].

The Bandshell has some free - included with price of admission - old school style entertainment: you get to sit out in the open.
http://www.theex.com/whatson.php?menu=01:09

Ah, the old days. Every man in a suit and hat.
DSCF0628.jpg

Nothing like a hard plastic playsword...
DSCF0631.jpg

New TTC car display
DSCF0684.jpg

DSCF0625.jpg

DSCF0626.jpg

And from the olden days... dad looks like a hoodlum (how's that for extinct terminology?)
ser381_s0381_fl0259_id11056-2.jpg

DSCF0622.jpg

fo1257_ser1057_f1257_s1057_it5680.jpg

Oblivious to the oncoming tornado.
DSCF0618.jpg

DSCF0617.jpg

DSCF0614.jpg

DSCF0620.jpg

i still haven't been to the CNE yet since coming to toronto. maybe this year will be the year i go.

thx for the pics.

I miss the grandstand as well :( Saw David Bowie there back in the 80s. Back then before the show we would go to the food building and get cheap food. No $4.50 for a pizza on stick back then

The CNE is back...

Mustapha: Good CNE pics - I visited the CNE three times in the 80s - I want to mention the TTC car especially-I cannot tell by that interior pic but is that interior color red and gray or cream? Was that info you posted handed out to the public there? The car - if that is indeed what the front end will look like - has a scowl on its face perhaps?

Was that weight guesser from the 50s and the sword carrying boy from the 70s? That llama is thinking "get this thing off my face-I look ridiculous"
Was that indeed bad weather looming over the Food Building? And one final question: What was that snack you were holding in the last pic? LI MIKE

Mustapha: Good CNE pics - I visited the CNE three times in the 80s - I want to mention the TTC car especially-I cannot tell by that interior pic but is that interior color red and gray or cream? Was that info you posted handed out to the public there? The car - if that is indeed what the front end will look like - has a scowl on its face perhaps?

Was that weight guesser from the 50s and the sword carrying boy from the 70s? That llama is thinking "get this thing off my face-I look ridiculous"
Was that indeed bad weather looming over the Food Building? And one final question: What was that snack you were holding in the last pic? LI MIKE

Thanks LIMike. Hope you make it back to Toronto soon. On to your questions:

The old pictures were on display in the Ricoh centre. So I took pictures of the pictures.:) I would say your guess as to their vintage is good - seems about right.
Yes, the car interior is red seats/gray floor/cream walls/yes, the info card was handed out there. The car was a mockup; there was no front end; we'll have to go by the picture as to what it'll eventually look like.
Yes, the weather was very threatening last Friday afternoon.
The snack is an ice cream waffle - can be easily made at home - two toasted waffles with a vanilla ice cream slice - always vanilla - in the middle. There are a number of stands at the CNE that proffer these things; a bit of a CNE tradition.

I miss the grandstand as well :( Saw David Bowie there back in the 80s. Back then before the show we would go to the food building and get cheap food. No $4.50 for a pizza on stick back then

:confused: I wonder if we were at the same Bowie show? I was there one year, can't remeber when. And I saw !! Helen Reddy !! there in the late 70s. :eek: And a number of others, back in those good old days.

That's what's wrong with the Ex now, no big shows. For better or worse there are so many other venues to go to now.

Ice cream waffles, yum!! Corn dogs, yum!! But don't go on the whirling ride immediately after.

:confused: I wonder if we were at the same Bowie show? I was there one year, can't remeber when. And I saw !! Helen Reddy !! there in the late 70s. :eek: And a number of others, back in those good old days.

That's what's wrong with the Ex now, no big shows. For better or worse there are so many other venues to go to now.

There are big shows. They just continue to be geared to the younger generation and you're no longer part of it.

Ray J is performing on August 22nd and The Trews on the 23rd.

Back