News   Apr 18, 2024
 562     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.2K     4 

Municipal Land Transfer Tax - Don't Tax My Dream

Well, on the flip side Tewder's comment did spur some more substantial discussion.

Ummm...property taxes DO grow with the economy. More workers mean more factories, offices, commercial real estate, etc. All of those are taxed. It also means higher house prices which means more residential tax per household. Plus, a growing economy will attract more workers which means more development a further increase to tax revenue.

Sorry, but you don't understand how property taxes work. Changes to land values have no effect on total taxes collected.

You need to look into mill rates and how they're calculated.

Why would my feelings be hurt by someone reciting hackneyed talking points?

'Hackneyed talking points'... you do see the irony right?

Back to the discussion please....

Well I guess the public have decided the other parties are worse. Maybe if they can come up with some policies which actually make sense, they will get voted in. Stephen Harper got booted out because we had better alternatives. Wonder why the geniuses at the provincial parties aren't figuring that out.

Many voters saw the liberal platform as 'better', sure, but many voters just voted for change because it's time for change.... and sometimes it is just time for change. It isn't really that uncommon a pattern in Canadian political history. Most elections with majority outcomes result from similar circumstances. It's almost as if for lack of legal term limits the public is exercising more organic ones. Many centrist/moderate conservatives voted liberal in this election. It was time.

Sorry if this is all 'hackneyed' stuff, I don't claim to be an expert politico. Just trying to add a different perspective here.

Still smarting over Tim Hudak's defeat?

No, that's not it at all Salsa. My point rather is that no party is that brilliant and no alternative is that sinister that we as an electorate should keep giving multiple consecutive mandates to the same party. I just don't see this as constructive in any way. Here now the Ontario liberals are in their fourth!! Really?? Clearly this is a province that is afraid of change or completely apathetic to it, and likely a little of both.

No, that's not it at all Salsa. My point rather is that no party is that brilliant and no alternative is that sinister that we as an electorate should keep giving multiple consecutive mandates to the same party. I just don't see this as constructive in any way. Here now the Ontario liberals are in their fourth!! Really?? Clearly this is a province that is afraid of change or completely apathetic to it, and likely a little of both.

I would like to vote for someone else (as do most Ontarians), but the alternatives suck. There is no way under any circumstances that I will support the PCs and their unhinged Tea Party hicks. And Andrea Horwath is a joke. Maybe I'll reconsider her in the next election, but why the NDP didn't get rid of her when they had the chance is beyond me.

Yeah, the lack of decent options is staggering. Still, I think it's better to vote for a lesser option than to further entrench what starts to amount to a political regime. Yeah the PCs are bad but... that bad?? I do feel sometimes that the rhetoric starts to get a little too polarizing. It may be the internet effect, I don't know. Remember, we were also told that Justin 'wasn't ready'... and maybe he really isn't, time will tell... but it was still a better option than the too-ready Harper. It was his time for a time out. They will now have to rethink their party, their brand and their policies... just as the liberals had to do after their national collapse. It's part of the cycle. It's how the parties evolve and stay relevant. Keeping a party in power so long goes against these cycles, imo.

Back