News   Apr 18, 2024
 196     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 517     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.9K     0 

Muji Annouces Canadian Flagship - Atrium on Bay

20181122_172955.jpg

I was actually surprised at how big it was, mostly since I didn't know it was going to be two levels.

Here are some photos and videos of the new Toronto flagship: https://www.retail-insider.com/reta...-flagship-outside-of-asia-in-downtown-toronto

Sat down this afternoon with Masaaki Kanai, Chairman and Representative Director of Ryohin Keikaku (parent company of MUJI), and he said the company is shifting strategy and that they plan on bringing some of their Japanese concepts to Canada including groceries, hotels and even condominium buildings. In the future, new stores will also be gigantic (he said the 19,110 sq ft Toronto store is 'too small' already for their plans). Curious to see if a Muji hotel/condo will come to Toronto at some point.

Oh they are carrying the curry sauce...may have to brave the crowds next week...

AoD

Ok, I'll have to check out this curry sauce, apparently.

Because I have yet to determine any other reason for all the Muji cultists.

Not that it's a bad store........I haven't fully toured the new version, but wandered in while on other errands on Sunday.

Just a 2 minute glance.

I looked at some hyped towels for $39.

They looked like over-sized tea towels.

I'll take my Nautica ones every day over those. Much fluffier, nicer colours, only slightly cheaper normally, but I can find them on sale a couple of times a year for $18 per towel or less than 1/2 the Muji ones.

Also what is w/scent bars that don't feature vanilla? It's the bloody nicest smell going. Just sayin.

Ok, I'll have to check out this curry sauce, apparently.

Because I have yet to determine any other reason for all the Muji cultists.

Not that it's a bad store........I haven't fully toured the new version, but wandered in while on other errands on Sunday.

Just a 2 minute glance.

I looked at some hyped towels for $39.

They looked like over-sized tea towels.

I'll take my Nautica ones every day over those. Much fluffier, nicer colours, only slightly cheaper normally, but I can find them on sale a couple of times a year for $18 per towel or less than 1/2 the Muji ones.

Also what is w/scent bars that don't feature vanilla? It's the bloody nicest smell going. Just sayin.

Be prepared for a sticker shock with the curry! I got a pack just for the sake of it, but I don't think the price is justifiable for what it is. Don't care much for the towels, but their wood products look really good - I have been coveting their wood coat rack but the price is a little tough to swallow.

Personally I am a big fan of the muted Muji palette - but then again, white is white... As to vanilla - it's better in food than aromatherapy...

Update: Curry sauce was good, but not for that price.

AoD

Last edited:
MUJI Shifts Strategy with Big Plans for Canada [Feature]

By Craig Patterson

Minimalist Japanese retailer Muji has big plans for Canada after opening its first eight stores, including expanding its Toronto flagship to become the largest outside of Asia. Masaaki Kanai, Chairman of Ryohin Keikaku, says that he plans to open larger stores in Canada than initially planned, as well as to introduce Muji groceries, hotels, public realm design, and even residential development to this country.

https://www.retail-insider.com/retail-insider/2018/12/muji-shifts-strategy-with-big-plans-for-canada

Would've have liked to see less clothing and more furniture myself, but I'm glad that it's much bigger with more stuffs than their original Atrium store.

Back