MTO weighs driving on the left

B

billonlogan

Radical fix posed for region's roads
Ministry weighs driving on the left

May 25, 2006. 01:00 AM
KEVIN MCGRAN
TRANSPORTATION REPORTER

With space running out and traffic getting worse, Ontario's transportation ministry is considering a radical shift to the left.

Driving on the left-hand side of the road is one proposal put forward as part of the plan to improve the exit/enter ramps at Rathburn Rd. and Highway 427.

"It's an idea we're looking at," says James Fallows, senior project engineer overseeing the long-term reconstruction of the 427. "I don't know that radical change would go over too well. But at least it's on the table."

With the region's roads under increasing pressure to accommodate more vehicles and the needs of an expanding public transit system, unconventional options are being considered.

The second busiest highway in Greater Toronto, the 427 is due for a complete reconstruction by 2009. The ministry is taking the opportunity to see what, if anything, can be done to make the highway work better. "There are options all over," says Fallows. "We're floating ideas because we want to see what the public is willing to accept. There's a bundle of things that could be done. We're going to start with what improvements will help the operation of the highway."

Ideas put forward at public information meetings include:

Adding a Gardiner-to-427 on-ramp in the 427 express lanes.

Replacing the Dundas St. loop with a straight ramp to make room for bus-only lanes.

Eliminating ramps at minor streets like Eva Rd., Valhalla Inn Rd., Gibbs Rd. and Eringate Dr.

Adding entry and exit points at Bloor St.

But driving on the left is by far the most "out-there" idea, raising more than a few eyebrows.

"The reaction of the public was: `We're all for change, but why should you consider that one?'" says Fallows. "It eliminates a lot of the left-hand turn movements. If you're eliminating crossing movements that are more dangerous, you could make everything safer."

The ministry calls the Rathburn/427 interchange, where there's no access to the northbound 427 and no room for south-side cloverleafs, "substandard." It is considering demolishing two north-side cloverleafs, and adding four ramps.

But MTO officials also want to avoid potentially dangerous left turns across traffic that might otherwise be required to go from westbound Rathburn to southbound 427, or eastbound Rathburn to northbound 427.

In the drive-on-the-left scenario, the westbound motorist on Rathburn would stop at lights on the east side of the bridge approaching the 427. When the light turns green, he'd be guided to cross over to the left side of the road. If he wished to go south on the 427, he would simply join the ramp on the left. To continue west on Rathburn, he would be guided back to the right lane at lights at the west side of the bridge. The reverse is happening to eastbound traffic.

"Sometimes we have to throw out something that's way out there to help focus in on what will work," says ministry spokesman Will MacKenzie. "I'd be extremely surprised if that saw any further light of day."

In truth, the idea may not be that radical. Driving on the left is coming in 2007 to Kansas City, Mo., which has congestion challenges with the city's downtown Front Street approaching Interstate 435. "We're separating Front St. into two little one-way roads, and crossing them on one side of the interchange, and when you get to the other side of the interchange, crossing them back. We don't have any conflicting left turns," says Susan McCubbins, a Missouri transportation project manager. "It increases the capacity of the interchange and reduces the severity and number of accidents."

View the new configuration
here.
---------------------------------
MTO will go to such lengths as swithcing the carriageways on an interchange to save money rather than add another level to the interchange with flyover ramps. MTO builds nice safe freeways but it doesn't think big. Especially on interchanges. The left hand solution is creative but it would call it more "substandard" than the existing one seeing as how it will create two weaving situations and left turning traffic must exit on the left

An interesting idea. With cars stopped on the bridge, however, it seems like it wouldn't take much to back up traffic onto the off ramps.

I'm not exactly sure what the benefit would be. It seems that there would still be stoplights that would be backing up something. Grade separation of the east and west lanes is the way if the goal is to stop traffic backing up on the off ramp although more expensive.

Why is the MTO considering adding ramps to Rathburn in the first place? Rathburn is hardly a major artery that is deserving of off-ramps anyway. Is Burnhampthorpe all that far?

I'm surprised the MTO feels that it needs to redo the 427 south of the 401. I find it's the only highway that isn't congested in peak periods (well, except leading right on to the Gardiner/QEW southbound in the AM), and north of the 401 can get really bad. All the 427 needs is regular maintenance and the replacement of the remaining rusted metal barriers with concrete.

As someone who lives off of Rathburn and has to go east on the 401... I will say something should be done, though I'm not sure how.

There is no way to get to the 401 east anywhere between Burnhamthorpe and Dixon. It creates a pretty large area without ramps.

That said, even if they were to do something for the people in this area, they'd not only have to build ramps, but reconfigure the highway, as there is currently no connection between the express and collectors north of Rathburn, meaning a ramp, unless it was built directly to the express lanes, would only allow people to go north on 27, not to the 427 or 401.

Still, this whole proposal seems kinda silly to me...

Back