News   Apr 25, 2024
 169     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Mother's Sandwich Shop (College/Spadina)

jbcurio

Member Bio
Reaction score
For years, I've noticed the funky Mother's Sandwich sign at College and Spadina. I have found an article about its opening back in the 70s but does anyone know anything about the history of it - when it closed, was it any good, etc.

I've noticed and wondered about that sign too. It's got that classic early Seventies/faux 19th century graphic design thing going on.

I often assume that if the sign is well-done, so too must be the food. Often a bad assumption.

They were pretty good sandwiches. Submarines, like Mr Sub but way better quality. They also delivered and had a gimmick of VW bugs with a Rolls Royce front end on the car. It was a very 60s / early 70s thing. My parents used to take me there because we were at the College Pets store every weekend getting bird or cat stuff. College Pets used to be in the shop next door.

I really like old school food places. They have a lot of character and charm. On a side note, I believe the new hot spot near College & Spadina is called Mother's Dumplings.

Back