185     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 360     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 415     0 

Most Underrated Bridge in Toronto

A

adma

...my nominee: the O'Connor Bridge over Taylor Creek. A magnificent high-level concrete arch of 1932. Underrated probably because there's no DVP-type road running under it, and because (as the likes of Joe Clark love to remind us) the E end always gets a fashionable-cultural-class raw deal compared to the W end. And unless there's some kind of categorization I don't know of, it's not in the Inventory of Heritage Properties. I'd choose it over the Bloor Viaduct as a suicide bridge...

The railroad bridge over the Don Valley, somewheres around Winford drive. On it or from below, the view is stunning.

Can bridges be underrated? Or overrated? Do people rate bridges at all? I can't think of an underrated bridge. I can't even think of an accurately rated bridge.

What I would like to know, however, is why has there not been more of an effort to build pedestrian bridges over the Gardiner and/or Lakeshore, allowing people to access the waterfront. It is my understanding that Chicago has had an initiative like this which has resulted in bridges designed by famous architects and designers. I also think I read (somewhere, I wish I could remember where) that it is pretty cheap for the city because of the business arrangement that was put in place. I also understand this is ongoing and far from finished. Can anyone shed some light on this and weigh in on whether it is possible here? And if it is, why the hell aren't we doing it?

Here are some other bridges which stand out in my mind:

-steel trestle rail bridge over the Don River, south east of DVP and Lawrence (you'll only see it from the Richmond Hill GO)

-401 bridge over the Don River east of Yonge

-Bayview bridge north of Lawrence

-girder rail bridge with large concrete piers near the brickworks

The Overlea Bridge is impressive when viewed from underneath in E.T. Seton Park. I like Finch (Old Finch) crossing the Rouge, too...even better at night while walking.

Most of the bridges look the same from the top... I biked the waterfront, the Humber, the BeltLine and the Lower Don on Sunday, and the view from below rocks. They're all underrated in my opinion.

Identifying underrated bridges in Toronto has not crossed my mind before - as Oliver asks above, who knows how any of them are rated anyway? The Prince Edward Viaduct has likely had the most press over the years, and deservedly I'd say, but it's probably still underrated itself - it's an amazing structure that likely the majority of users (or those who pass under it) do not fully appreciate. (That's so true about so many things, init?)

In any case, I have stumbled along the path along Mud Creek and under Governor's Road and thought 'that's quite the bridge', and every time I cross the stone Old Mill Rd bridge over the Humber I feel very warmly towards it - it may be the most picturesque of Toronto's bridges - and in a completely different way I like a lot of long and high flyover ramps around town, like the 427 south to Gardiner east, and 401 west to 427 south, and in fact the whole elevated road network serving the Pearson terminals. Do those count?

Those flyover's totally count. the 401/427 was impressive Toronto when I was a kid. still today too.

42... here you go. I actually took a couple pics of the Old Mill bridge on my ride!

130544625_261305b05f.jpg

-steel trestle rail bridge over the Don River, south east of DVP and Lawrence (you'll only see it from the Richmond Hill GO)
chuck100, I'm not sure if you are talking about the same steel trestle rail bridge easily viewed from the corner of Eglinton and Leslie. I recall as a youngster a group of friends and I walked from end to end. It was stupid and exhilirating at the same time. Thanks for bringing back that memory.

I always like the Glen Rd. bridge over the "Park Drive Reservation" (what a dull name for the beautiful ravine there). The bridge gets very little traffic as compared to other bridges, so it almost feels like you have found a secret part of the city no one knows about.

The Leaside bridge has a certain tasteful grace. It's not ostentatious at all, but I love its solid, regal bearing. While it's obviously not the equal of the Prince Edward viaduct, it is nevertheless a pleasure under which I pass with great frequancy when I travel on the Don Valley Parkway.

The above statement is unlike anything I have read from this particular contributor.

mikescarborough seems to have a ghostwriter posting for him in many topics.

More photos for you:

Humber River Pedestrian Bridge
130543717_3a310ffef6.jpg

O'Connor Bridge over Taylor Creek Park
119112751_1168154eac.jpg

Back