243     0 

Most annoying requests overheard in Starbucks

buildup

Member Bio
Reaction score
a) Three-quarters Decaff, topped with Bold

b) 170 degrees

c) Oatmeal, NOT mushy

(from my observation - the more insignificant the person, the more significant is their request. sort of like people who charge through the Path eyes locked on their device)

Just had to witness an argument at Starbucks between some lady with no money on her iPhone app, but wanted to pay cash and have it scanned for points anyway. The barista kept explaining that "if you pay cash, you won't get the points." She was like "oh you will be giving me the points." He's like "you can scan if you want, but nothing will happen." She was like "if that's true, your regional manager will be getting an earful. If I buy something, I get the points, ok? That's how it works everywhere else" The barista again explained that you get points for "not using cash" as it puts less pressure on the store's front line. And then she went on a tirade and demanded her money back and stomped out of the store.

Not annoying, but odd (I thought). Double espresso, decaf. Isn't the point of espresso in large part the caffeine? (Forgive me, I don't drink coffee)

Just had to witness an argument at Starbucks between some lady with no money on her iPhone app, but wanted to pay cash and have it scanned for points anyway. The barista kept explaining that "if you pay cash, you won't get the points." She was like "oh you will be giving me the points." He's like "you can scan if you want, but nothing will happen." She was like "if that's true, your regional manager will be getting an earful. If I buy something, I get the points, ok? That's how it works everywhere else" The barista again explained that you get points for "not using cash" as it puts less pressure on the store's front line. And then she went on a tirade and demanded her money back and stomped out of the store.

That is classic.

I've noticed after people place particularly innovative or individualistic orders they make eye contact with someone after for validation or recognition. 'Yes, I am unique...'

Yeah, like that :)

ETA: regular decaf makes sense. Decaf espresso just seemed like an oxymoron to me

Last edited:
If regular decaf makes sense, why is decaf espresso an oxymoron to you? (especially since you aren't a coffee drinker) It's okay for regular coffee drinkers who want to sleep at night to have decaf, but espresso drinkers should just man up? People drink espresso for a lot of reasons, and for many caffeine jolt is not on the list.

Because I've always associated espresso with the caffeine jolt because all of my coffee drinking friends do.
Sorry I mentioned it.

For the record, though, I feel the same way about low-fat cheese.
Not as bizarre as dairy-free cheese ... which I found frustratingly easy to find when I was looking for what I'd have thought would have been been easier to find - low-salt cheese (fortunately I'm no longer on a very low-salt diet!). I realise that salt was a very important part of cheese-making - but I thought milk was even more important!

Tea that doesn't actually contain tea falls in the same category. Tea is the name of a plant used to make tea. If it doesn't contain tea, it's not tea.

Personally my Starbucks frustration starts with the cups ... I don't want to have to figure out what a small, medium, or large is every time I order a coffee. Easy solution ... go somewhere else.

Back