1.3K     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 560     0 

More suggestions re:forum sections

W

wyliepoon

Once again I'm back to propose a few changes that I have been thinking about for this forum.

1. Delete the less visited sections.

Urban Toronto Highlights: I don't really see the reason for the existence of this section. I've never visited it, except when I was writing this. I don't know if many of the other forumers have visited it recently either.

If they're really UT highlights and you want to keep them, can't we keep them somewhere else, like on another webpage or something? If they're stuff that's worthy of future discussion, we can save them up on a computer and then bring it up once in a while in the appropriate section.

Another section that should be considered for deletion is the Neighbourhood Discussion. I don't think it's as popular as Toronto Issues, and I think many forumers would agree. Many topics that would fit under Neighbourhood Discussion might be posted in Toronto Issues because it also fits there and would also get more visits and more replies.

2. New non-Toronto Urban Issues sections.

I think that many of us would like to share views, thoughts, articles, etc. on urban issues that are not about Toronto. The Buildings section is okay for posting stuff on other cities' buildings, but stuff about other cities' urban issues usually end up in Toronto Issues, where they'll probably get moved, or to General Discussions, which I think would be more appropriate for non-urban issues, casual chit-chat.

Since this forum has a Canadian focus as well as a Toronto focus, we can have a section dealing with Canadian urban issues. We can also have a "World Urban Issues" section for urban issues that don't relate to Canada or Toronto. I like having two sections, but one "Non-Toronto Urban Issues" section would probably work just as well.

3. A section where forumers can offer their own proposals, fantasies, etc.

I came up with this while writing this post. I think it would be kind of neat if we can use a forum section to get forumers to be creative. Forumers can post sketches or plans of buildings that they have designed for fun, or maps of their fantasy TTC subway system, or their ideas for the perfect Toronto government, etc. This should be a fun section, don't you think?

4. An Urban Toronto bulletin board/calendar

I think we forumers can really use a bulletin board to post messages to other forumers, or to make announcements. It should also be a really good place to post upcoming events such as forum meets and events that some of us are going to. It should really help us develop new friendships outside of the forum.

That's all the suggestions I want to make. I hope you like them!

Thanks for your suggestions Wylie. I’ll take them into consideration.

So that's what happened with Urban Toronto Highlights. My suggestion. Bring it back but have it contain one post per topic. One for Toronto past and present, one for the cultural theme (sorry can't remember the proper name), one for renderings etc. Each post would then link to all the relevant posts. Unless there is a financial reason for keeping fewer sections I would think this would be a great resource. Sure few people will go back all the time but its great to go there when you want to find something easily.

UT Highlights is already gone... shame in my opinion. But then again I am slightly biased. Especially considering many questions people had regarding cultural projects were answered in that very section.

I don;t think I wamt a section dealing with urban issues from other cities in Canada......or from other pparts of the world for that matter..........are other forums not more apprpriate for that? I fear we will water down our Toronto focus -- and it's not as if we don;t have enough to share and say about Toronto.

What about adding a pure construction section - a place that we can chat about understanding how you actually put together these buildings that we critique. I know there is a lot more to them then at first glance - heck, even digging a hole involves a co-ordinated effort.

JG

How about a section for Toronto's history? Kind of like an archives/comment section, which could include links to the TO archives, ed007Toronto's and some of Ganjavih's posts?

Back