2.4K     0 

More Canadians take transit in 2006

W

wyliepoon

Globe and Mail

Link to article

More Canadians in transit in 2006

Canadian Press

Toronto — More Canadians took a ride on public transit in the first half of 2006, according to new statistics compiled by the Canadian Urban Transit Association.

It reports an increase of 3.42 per cent from the same period in 2005.

Association president Michael Roschlau says the increase represents 30 million transit trips, equal to the entire number of rides on a system the size of Edmonton's.

He says if the trend is shown to have continued through the second half of the year, it will mark the seventh consecutive year transit ridership has gone up in Canada.

Association executive Penny Williams adds that some cities have recorded double-digit increases in transit ridership.

Ms. Williams also says a federal tax credit for transit passes that came into effect in July may encourage even more people to choose transit.

I'm curious to know: would this be a significant increase relative to all modes of travel. Couldn't this simply reflect growth in urban populations rather than any real shift in modal preferences among the population?

I was wondering the same thing. I hope the modal split is moving toward public transit, albeit at a snail's pace.

Back