319     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 682     0 

Montréal Transit Developments

Ansem

Banned
Member Bio
Reaction score
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/actualite...-un-pacte-a-trois-pour-prolonger-le-metro.php

I couldn't find an article in english.

To summarize things, The mayors of Laval, Longueuil and Montreal are negotiating an agreement to submit an expansion plan of the Montreal Metro for the next 10 years.

The cost of the Laval extension in 2007 cost approx 150 millions per KM. They estimated the cost of the stations at 3B$ by 2020.

Plan:

Longueuil Yellow line
4 Stations eastbound within Longueuil 5.3KM

Montreal Blue line
5 Stations Eastbound to Anjou 5.1KM

Montreal/Laval Orange Line Loop
Northbound to Laval Carrefour (downtown) 10.1KM
Station to be determined

Quebec Transport minister already said she was interested in Laval and Montreal (Gov already put funds aside for Orange and blue line)extensions and she recently said she was interested in the Longueuil yellow line extension.

Extensions for both Cities

TTC

subway including the RT with the Richmond Hill and Vaughn extension
68.3+8.7(spadina)+6.8 (yonge)=83.8 Km

STM (montreal)
Subway
65.33+ 20.5(Blue,Yellow and Orange line extension)=85.83KM

2 km of difference.

At least Toronto will still have the tallest CN tower in Canada. We're number 1! We're number 1!

We still have plenty of transit expansion happening. And we still don't know what form Eglinton will take.

4 Stations eastbound within Longueuil 5.3KM
(...)
Northbound to Laval Carrefour (downtown) 10.1KM
Station to be determined

What? Subway expansion, outside the 514, notwithstanding an actually-existing moat that really does surround the 514?

This is heresy. Pure heresy.

Toronto will already lose the title of "most extensive rapid transit system in Canada" this Labour Day when the Canada Line opens in Vancouver.

What? Subway expansion, outside the 514, notwithstanding an actually-existing moat that really does surround the 514?

This is heresy. Pure heresy.

lol sarcasm

I've lived in Montreal through the Laval extension...
The orange line which is exactly like Yonge is ridiculously overcrowded and its a nightmare for Montrealers who cant get in because the trains are filled by the 3 stations in Laval with the Commuter train stopping there and adding commuters from as far as St-Jerome

The STM admitted they miscalculated the ridership of the line and now they are stuck with the problem until they have an alternate North-South express line to Downtown From Laval. The Pie-IX blvd is being considered to implement an LRT or BRT.

The good thing about the new extension is the Loop (orange line). It will relieve the East orange line and Laval commuter will be able to use the West Orange line which is under capacity...Like the Spadina line.

If we are to extend to Richmond Hill, They should loop the line as well.

As for the Blue line which was a line to nowhere in the 80 and 90s operating 3 train sets and closing at 11pm, It is now successful and operating 6 train sets and closing as late as the other lines. It offers a true North Rapid Cross town that connects both Orange lines.

I'm getting sick of tired for waiting for the 196B to Sheppard-|Yonge from Downview...It's very unreliable and frustrating. Why the Sheppard line is not connected to Downsview is beyond me and why they gave up on the line is not fit for a city like Toronto who is only the 3rd Transit company in North America. A complete Sheppard line would have been very successful.

As for Longueuil...Good for them...
I wonder why an extension to Square one in Mississauga is not in any plan...

Why on earth wait for 2020 for the DRL?

I'd include the underground section of Eglinton as a 'subway' as it will function the same.

Yes, although some people would not, even though Montreal's subway cars are about the same width as Toronto's new LRT's

I'm surprised people are worried about two measly km's, there is still the DRL to consider.

Toronto will already lose the title of "most extensive rapid transit system in Canada" this Labour Day when the Canada Line opens in Vancouver.

I don't understand why it doesn't move the city councilors and the Ontario Government. Shouldn't that be a source of motivation to at least push the DRL faster? A Sheppard West Extension or to rethink Sheppard East to at least the new RT Station on Sheppard?

I lived in Montreal and know for a FACT that Montreal and Quebec are BROKE and POORER than Ontario and Toronto.
Nothing justify that our network stays at it is.

I'm happy for the LRT and Streetcars but it's not perfect.
If we didn't have those, we would be a joke

Yes, although some people would not, even though Montreal's subway cars are about the same width as Toronto's new LRT's

I'm surprised people are worried about two measly km's, there is still the DRL to consider.

A subway extension for the west Island is a matter of time as soon as the mayors stop fighting among themselves.

The blue line is already extended west of Decarie in Hampstead, Cote-st-Luc and NDG but the mayor are fighting of funding and the tunnel is closed....

These planned extension to Montreal system is great news for me. I was born in Montreal and grew up on the south shore and I was always hoping the Yellow Line would be extended. The Blue Line eastward to Anjou is probably the most pressing extension though. I hear about my old home town of Vancouver (where I fell in love with public transit) getting a lot of much needed investment in it's rapid transit system-especially to Richmond where the bridges are bumper to bumper almost all day. Toronto is getting the extension from Downsview Station to York U and into Vaughn and the probable Yonge extension past Steeles to Richmond Hill. It is relieving to here Montreal expanding its own system as well. I wish they would expand the Orange Line as well so that it is a true loop.

It is great to see the feds. finally pony up the funds to help the different provinces with it's public transit systems. I hope that the STM plans get the funding it needs. It seems like a good time to try and solicit the funds for these transit projects right now because the Feds are coming through. I am sure the Quebec government would be a willing partner as well.

The cost of the Laval extension in 2007 cost approx 150 millions per KM. They estimated the cost of the stations at 3B$ by 2020.

Clearly impossible. The TTC has clearly told us that subways cost no less than 900m per/km. I can only conclude that Montreal and its suburbs are using some kind of voodoo magic. If it says it on an LRT bible site, it HAS to be true.

If we are to extend to Richmond Hill, They should loop the line as well.
Why? Frequent loop lines are a nightmare to operate, as there is very little ability to recover from problems. It might work on a infrequent 3-4 trains per hour service, but not on the 20-30 trains per hour that you see on the YUS - or Orange line.

How about a metric comparing all Rapid Transit corridors (BRT, LRT, HRT)? Or the density of those corridors across the city's area? Simply stating the total length of the network does nothing to tell anyone who's got a better transit system. Any of those sprawled out American cities could build very long transit networks and still have poor transit. In this case, I'd agree transit is better in Montreal, but the density of the RT corridors has a lot to do with it.

Back