News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.6K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 538     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Montréal Transit Developments

I don't know the specifics of the environmental review for REM so I can't fairly comment on that. That said, environmental reviews have become right-wing politicians best friend.

They will promise such & such a transit plan for political advantage and will say that the money will be available after the environmental assessment is done. Of course what was once a need has become an industry...……...note the word industry. Contrary to what the toughy-feely environmentalists think, when it comes to urban transit they are only interested in one thing, money. The longer the process and the more little problems they find, the more money they make courtesy of taxpayers.

Seriously, why did there have to be a big review on Eglinton or GO? What are they going to do if they find a legitimate environmental issue, close down Eglinton Ave or shut down the railways? It is an industry living off the public tit and they are milking it for all it's worth and it is the transit users who pay the price.

I don't know the specifics of the environmental review for REM so I can't fairly comment on that. That said, environmental reviews have become right-wing politicians best friend.

They will promise such & such a transit plan for political advantage and will say that the money will be available after the environmental assessment is done. Of course what was once a need has become an industry...……...note the word industry. Contrary to what the toughy-feely environmentalists think, when it comes to urban transit they are only interested in one thing, money. The longer the process and the more little problems they find, the more money they make courtesy of taxpayers.

Seriously, why did there have to be a big review on Eglinton or GO? What are they going to do if they find a legitimate environmental issue, close down Eglinton Ave or shut down the railways? It is an industry living off the public tit and they are milking it for all it's worth and it is the transit users who pay the price.
Environmental reviews should be about the environment in the nature sense of the word. Now it's a bunch of tin-hat wearing people influencing the studies because not every little side effect can be known in advance, requiring more studies. I don't believe in getting public input at all.

I remember the Ottawa LRT public audience when someone asked formally, why you didn't do a study for paddle boats? The Ontario EAs requirements changed after that.

The REM EA public audience was so bad, and people think that the participants are experts, they're just pseudo-experts with too much foil to spare. So the media and the report took position with the crazies. The whole process needs to be changed.

Environmental reviews should be about the environment in the nature sense of the word. Now it's a bunch of tin-hat wearing people influencing the studies because not every little side effect can be known in advance, requiring more studies. I don't believe in getting public input at all.

I remember the Ottawa LRT public audience when someone asked formally, why you didn't do a study for paddle boats? The Ontario EAs requirements changed after that.

The REM EA public audience was so bad, and people think that the participants are experts, they're just pseudo-experts with too much foil to spare. So the media and the report took position with the crazies. The whole process needs to be changed.
The entire EA process is because our Universities are pumping out a bunch of people with no real skills other than discussing feelings and emotions. In order to appease this ever increasing group, we give them equal or greater powers than the engineers who actually plan and do the work.
This started in the Jane Jacobs era and we are seeing the foreseeable results of her efforts.

Oh, it definitely gets problematic as EAs have a tendency to assume a static nature of things that are constantly in flux- like neighbourhoods, ethnic groups, or endangered species of plants.

I do have have to say though that while it's best to get it done fast; for protracted development plans, strategies need to be developed for neighbourhoods to mitigate the temporal disruption.

This started in the Jane Jacobs era and we are seeing the foreseeable results of her efforts.
I would say that a good median has to exist between an beyond-Jane-Jacobs-ultra-bleeding-heart view and a Robert Moses bulldoze-em-all mindset.

I doubt that Jane Jacobs would have wanted something like this to happen, but it has, and these once-mediating elements now act as drags on real progress.

Same thing has happened with the social sciences- buoyed by cultural currents that emphasize the unquestionable nature of intersectionality and environmental/social justices, many of their associated professions are left unchecked and unquestioned, red tape starts to appear, service industries develop around the topic (think the whole tax accounting industry, or all the consultants a project doesn't need), and the whole thing rots from the head down as people gain vested interests in keeping things inefficient.

Case in point- California's HSR:

Last edited:
Oh, it definitely gets problematic as EAs have a tendency to assume a static nature of things that are constantly in flux- like neighbourhoods, ethnic groups, or endangered species of plants.

I do have have to say though that while it's best to get it done fast; for protracted development plans, strategies need to be developed for neighbourhoods to mitigate the temporal disruption.

I would say that a good median has to exist between an beyond-Jane-Jacobs-ultra-bleeding-heart view and a Robert Moses bulldoze-em-all mindset.

I doubt that Jane Jacobs would have wanted something like this to happen, but it has, and these once-mediating elements now act as drags on real progress.

Same thing has happened with the social sciences- buoyed by cultural currents that emphasize the unquestionable nature of intersectionality and environmental/social justices, many of their associated professions are left unchecked and unquestioned, red tape starts to appear, service industries develop around the topic (think the whole tax accounting industry, or all the consultants a project doesn't need), and the whole thing rots from the head down as people gain vested interests in keeping things inefficient.

Case in point- California's HSR:

This isn't an exaggeration at all. Look no farther than Ontario's very own Metrolinx and the make up of its workforce, more than 50% of which are external consultants/vendors that come and go through rotating doors.

The ARTM officially announced the new metropolitain wayfinding for the Montréal region. It's as much as a design by commitee that you can get. Horrible.

From the video. REM will have it's own branding and terminals will be numbered from A1 to A4 alongside station names.

Notably in Paris, they usually call metro lines M#, and tram lines T#, and RER lines use letters (plus a number for terminals like ARTM is doing for the REM).
1576169904474.png

From the video. REM will have it's own branding and terminals will be numbered from A1 to A4 alongside station names.

Notably in Paris, they usually call metro lines M#, and tram lines T#, and RER lines use letters (plus a number for terminals like ARTM is doing for the REM).
View attachment 219842

AS much as this is a nice map, I find it highly misleading.

Unless its rapid service, it doesnt belong on a rapid service map.

Most of those Exo lines have like, 5 trains a day in one-way direction.

STM Stations always have a regional rail map alongside the Metro map. I won't be surprised if the STM hangs a map like this somewhere in their station boards and trains.

Also, nobody outside this forum cares about what defines a 'metro' system. They will just Google Map it and follow the directions.

It's a highy misleading plan, I complained for months to the managers but it was ultimately a get-everyone-not-pissed-off plan. I had a two pager list of what's wrong with it.

STM Stations always have a regional rail map alongside the Metro map. I won't be surprised if the STM hangs a map like this som
Tewhere in their station boards and trains.

Also, nobody outside this forum cares about what defines a 'metro' system. They will just Google Map it and follow the directions.

The regional map in the STM stations make a much larger distinction between regional trains and rapid transit.

a-plan_metro_noir.png

They do show this map then as well, but its separate and the distinction is that its a separate service.

reseautrain (1).png

This does not. They are trying to tout their commuter trains as metro here.

You are overthinking this.

ARTM created a video showing the new signage system for the region, which includes all the rail stations listed on that map.

Also, notice that the EXO lines use a thin line while the rapid transit style lines (Metro & REM) use thicker lines. So they are trying to distinguish them.

The PM and QC Premier got a deal for 5 new transit lines in QC.

What is/was planned :
Laval REM line (CPDQi)
Chambly REM extension (CPDQi)
Montréal East Island REM/LRT (CPDQi)
Longueuil LRT (RTL)
Gatineau streetcar (STO)

Last edited:

Back