News   Mar 28, 2024
 202     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 211     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 269     0 

Montréal Transit Developments

Not in North America, which is where we live.
We'll I guess that New Brunswick and Quebec are not part of North America then.

What's your shoe size? Cause in Montreal we use the EU format.

Just a quick search:

Le coût prévu du REM était de 5,5 G$ en 2016. Il est aujourd’hui de près de 7 G$ en raison de l’ajout de trois stations et de l’augmentation du prix des matériaux.

In writing, k$, M$, G$ are of standard usage yes.

Indeed. It's being used to differentiate between Billion (Europe), and Milliard/Billion (Europe/USA) as SI units are less ambiguous than M and B shortforms. Mn/Md, Bn/Bd shortforms never really took off.

Most English North Americans accepted k for thousands of dollars a long time ago, particularly when discussing salaries.

As much as I dislike the sound of a micro-dollar, I have calculated and stored compound interest to 6 digits for financial platforms. Those fractional pennies were real and add up over millions of clients.

Last edited:
Would it be possible to use the alignment of the Mascouche Line in Montreal Nord to connect the REM to the REM de L'Est? It might take some of the load of new passengers straight to downtown.

Progress photos posted on the FB page for the REM.

Driver charged after bus driven into Montreal daycare, killing 2 and injuring 6

Witnesses describe trying to subdue driver in a chaotic and tragic scene in Laval. Police wouldn’t comment on a motive.​

From link.

Police charged a 51-year-old bus driver Wednesday with homicide after a bus crashed into a daycare in a suburb north of Montreal, killing two children and injuring six.

The driver has been identified as Pierre Ny St-Amand, an employee of Laval’s municipal transport agency.

Police say that the bus crashed into the front of the daycare at about 8:30 a.m. Witness photographs and aerial shots of the scene show the bus had driven straight through the parking lot and plowed into the building, making impact to the right of the main entrance.

Police say they are still questioning the driver and conducting an investigation of the crime scene, but have given no motive for the terrible act.

“He was driving quickly,” Hamdi Benchaabane, who lived next to the daycare, told Montreal’s La Presse.

Benchaabane said the driver got out of the bus quickly and began taking off his clothes.

“He took off his pants and his underwear. It was chaotic. He wanted to get away, but me and some fathers from the daycare, we jumped on him. He was screaming and didn’t want to give up. To tell you honestly, we had to hit him to get him under control.”
_2bus.jpg

Laval Police Chief Pierre Brochet refused to comment on the mental or physical state of the suspect.

“It’s dangerous, risky, because false information can undermine the investigation,” he said.

A police spokesperson said the injuries to the six children were not life-threatening.

Police and city officials declined to say whether the bus was travelling along its normally scheduled route at the time of the crash. Normally, the 151 bus travels north along Terrace Dufferin, a long, straight, quiet road, passing a school, parks and homes before turning at a cul-de-sac and doubling back.

On Wednesday morning, it appears, the bus made a sharp right turn into the parking lot of the daycare, which has spots for 80 children, and made deadly impact.

Throughout the day, municipal and provincial officials dropped by to express their concern for the children, the daycare workers and the families affected by the incident.

“It’s my riding. It’s my hometown,” said Christopher Skeete, who represents the riding of Sainte-Rose in the Quebec legislature. “You drop your kids off at the daycare and you expect you’re going to be able to go and pick them up. I think everybody who’s listening today should hold their kids a little tighter. It’s a sad day.”

Mario Sirois, another man who lives next to the daycare, said he was among the first on the scene and helped stop the suspect as he tried to flee.

“It can’t be an accident,” Sirois said. “There were no signs of skid marks. It was deliberate. He went directly into the daycare.”

Sirois’s wife, Ginette Lamoureux, described a scene of horror inside the daycare. “The children were screaming and crying, they were all in a room … A mother arrived and collapsed,” she said. “The policewoman was trying to calm her down. I left, I was no longer able.”

Benchaabane said he was able to help pull one child from the daycare, adding that he and the others tried to save a second child before firefighters ordered them to leave because pieces of the roof were at risk of falling.

“It was a nightmare, I can’t believe it,” Benchaabane said of what he witnessed. “It was horrible.”

Laval Mayor Stéphane Boyer said the driver has worked for the transit agency for about 10 years and had no incidents of note on his file. “There is a theory that it was an intentional act, but that remains to be confirmed by the investigation,” Boyer said.

Earlier Wednesday, Quebec Premier François Legault said his thoughts are with the children and their families, as well as with the employees of the daycare. “We are going to give the parents all the help we can, and as a father, I am shaken.” Legault's said on Twitter that he will visit Laval on Thursday.

In Ottawa, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said federal officials are following the situation closely. “Our thoughts are with families in Laval who are living incredibly difficult moments.”

For the Montrealers, what exactly is going on with Griffintown-Bernard-Landry? The REM website is very vague.

Agora Mtl has the best updates, but there’s only so much French I understand. I was disappointed to see that it won’t open with the initial Brossard-Gare Centrale section, and from pictures there doesn’t appear to have been much built yet. Although the catenary supports appear to just be temporarily mounted in that section.

For the Montrealers, what exactly is going on with Griffintown-Bernard-Landry? The REM website is very vague.

Agora Mtl has the best updates, but there’s only so much French I understand. I was disappointed to see that it won’t open with the initial Brossard-Gare Centrale section, and from pictures there doesn’t appear to have been much built yet. Although the catenary supports appear to just be temporarily mounted in that section.
What information are you missing?

The station is targeted to open by end of 2024 along with the other branches.

What information are you missing?

The station is targeted to open by end of 2024 along with the other branches.
Ah, thank you for sharing that. I hadn’t yet seen an official date, but makes sense they’d open it with the other branches.

Ps. This will be my 100th post. Hopefully now I’ll lose my ”New Member” status after 15 years. Yay! 🥳

Ah, thank you for sharing that. I hadn’t yet seen an official date, but makes sense they’d open it with the other branches.

Ps. This will be my 100th post. Hopefully now I’ll lose my ”New Member” status after 15 years. Yay! 🥳
Glad to help. And congrats on becoming an "active member". 15 years is a long time!
When I read it they made it sound like 'the whole project [minus the airport] should be done by end of 2024, including this station'. pre-Covid they had said this station will open in 2023. So hopefully this doesn't get delayed. Stations I have seen built (internationally) on existing lines usually also cause train slowdowns in the construction zones. So hopefully this doesn't cause any problems for the central trunk of the REM.

Stations I have seen built (internationally) on existing lines usually also cause train slowdowns in the construction zones. So hopefully this doesn't cause any problems for the central trunk of the REM.
With Gare Centrale as the current terminus, and GBL being so close, I wouldn’t expect much delays (that they haven’t already planned for). Trains would already be travelling slower approaching the interlocking there. (Edit: unless they plan on using part of the tunnel to turn the trains around? Like the Métro.) I expect exo/VIA would be impacted similarly.

I’ll just add, this will be my favourite station on the REM simply because it’ll be integrated into the historical viaduct. Just hope it doesn’t get delayed as well.

Last edited:

Back