News   Apr 16, 2024
 290     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.4K     6 

Mon Sheong Court (Scarborough)

You can take the message as implying the name is usual in Canada not that the name was bad.

Here, try this on for size:

With the 2000 people murdered last week, I wonder if I'm still in Canada.

Khristopher - your comment can only be construed as racist, and only a fool would not see the potential little firestorm it could create. As comments like that are against UT Conduct rules, please go back and remove it from your post, or you will be removed from UT.

If you remove it, I'll make this and the other replies to it disappear. It's better the keep these project threads clean.

whoa whoa whoa, easy on the race card.

If someone hates the French language, are they racist?

I don't see why someone objecting to the use of Chinese would be racist.

"And also with the name like that, sometimes I wonder if I'm still in Canada."

The irony is that the name "Mon Sheong Court" really is rooted in the local community - making it, by definition, Canadian. That's more than we can say for at least 90% of the other developments (London? Malibu? Murano?)

Although it's not the nicest building in the city, the intersection looks great. With two mid-rise buildings meeting the sidewalk, you'd almost forget that you were in North Scarborough (at least until you walked a few meters in any direction).

I don't feel that Khristopher's comment is being racist, but it's just a bad taste comment. You should not make fun of names that are based on language of non-English. Today you can make fun of a building's name with Chinese original, tomorrow, you will be making fun of names of Chinese people. It's just not something we should promote in this group.

Khristopher - your comment can only be construed as racist, and only a fool would not see the potential little firestorm it could create. As comments like that are against UT Conduct rules, please go back and remove it from your post, or you will be removed from UT.

If you remove it, I'll make this and the other replies to it disappear. It's better the keep these project threads clean.

Ugly or not (and it's not...at worst, it's nothing other than aggressively plain and boring), this building is actually better than what Scarborough deserves. I like how the 'cylinder' has been brought closer to the corner but more brick would have been nicer as per the rendering.

I agree, boring is a better description of the structure. That it is boring means that it will blend into the background. If it were ugly, one would always be looking at it.

It looks institutional, and it kinda is.

Wait, so you're threatening removing me from the site, without even so much as sending me a PM? What if I never bothered to even read this thread again? Which is very likely, as I have no interest in the building after looking at the thread once and not liking what I saw.
Your quoted comment should have been sent as a PM to me, not a comment on this thread.

Second, my comment was in no way racist at all. I also fail to see how it could be construed that way.
The Canada I live in is English and French. You don't have to agree with me on that, but that's how I feel. I was merely commenting on the naming of the building, and how one could see the signage for it and wonder if they are actually in Canada or China.

Wait, so you're threatening removing me from the site, without even so much as sending me a PM? What if I never bothered to even read this thread again? Which is very likely, as I have no interest in the building after looking at the thread once and not liking what I saw.
Your quoted comment should have been sent as a PM to me, not a comment on this thread.

Second, my comment was in no way racist at all. I also fail to see how it could be construed that way.
The Canada I live in is English and French. You don't have to agree with me on that, but that's how I feel. I was merely commenting on the naming of the building, and how one could see the signage for it and wonder if they are actually in Canada or China.

kristopher is right. His comment was not racist or even offensive in my opinion, not that being offensive is a crime. This is a clear attempt at bullying. If he is kicked off this forum I'll delete my account too.

So buildings should only be named in one of the above languages? I don't necessarily see the comment as racist, but I do wonder what you meant by it. Perhaps an explanation would clear this all up?

I agree that your original post didn't intend to be racist in nature ...

but fundamentally it is a naive comment with poor taste that should not be made in public ... naming buildings / signage that is not in the official languages of English or French is seen throughout Canada simply because of the multi-cultural society that we are in ... I am certain you also see Greek, Italian, Spanish and other South Asian names on signs throughout this City ... but your newest comment with specific reference to China (or the Chinese community) I think you may have just made it worst

With a comment like that, I wonder if I'm still living in Toronto?

The Toronto you live in has a huge population of people of Chinese descent. If you take a look around the city you will see far more Chinese signage than French. That reflects the fact that more people speak Chinese in this city than French.

While you claim your comment is not racist (and along with others, I'll give you benefit of the doubt), it is certainly suggestive of something.

Artist's rendering
monsheong01.jpg

Actual
IMG_2371.jpg

I'm disappointed that they didn't maintain the brick work all the way to the top floor for the central portion for more of a street presence.

khristopher said:

I guess I can go on my Worldwide trip - first to Greece along the Danforth, Italy /Portugal on College St W, St. Clair W, Dundas St. W; then off to Israel by Bathurst/Lawrence; India at Gerrard St E/Coxwell; etc ...

It's not racist. Just ignorant.

If it's only an ignorant comment, it's thoroughly ignorant.

How can one live in the GTA and be surprised to see a name from many languages on all sorts of signs all over the area? Or if you never get out, (and nobody never gets out) how can you avoid knowing that people have come from all over the world to live here, and that they have made this city a multilingual marvel? A list of the candidates' names from the election just past is like going through the world's telephone book. It's all over the city, celebrated in the media, and it's more than obvious on UT, so a statement that indicates that Canada is not a place for Chinese names, or that Canada is English/French only is beyond ludicrous and potentially offensive to those that it excludes. Chinese is the mother tongue for more than a third of a million people living in the GTA. The least they should be able to expect is no surprise when a seniors residence has a Chinese name.

Back