News   Aug 22, 2019
 377     0 

Mobile friendly relaunch of UrbanToronto coming shortly

Edward Skira

http://skyrisecities.com
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
The newly updated mobile friendly update of UrbanToronto is coming shortly. You can find it here:

https://toronto.skyrisecities.com

We're in the testing phase so post any issues below. And no we're not using that URL once we launch it. It will be the existing URL.

MetroMan

Member Bio
Reaction score
Both the existing forums and the new one lack navigation at the top of the screen. When tapping into a thread, it goes to the first page. To see the latest content, you have to scroll down a very long thread to get to the bottom and navigate. Repeat and repeat until you find the page you want to read.

C8A3EB1C-6335-4840-B63F-9B20E1FAA1B6.png
5F1B523D-1D44-4597-88A3-A38372A13F52.png

ticky

Member Bio
Reaction score
I would really like for an option to hide the UrbanToronto header-bar at the top while browsing the forum on desktop. My laptop screen is small, so that header takes up a large portion of my browsing view.
I use uBlock Origin to select that element and remove it.

Would love a specific app for the forums. Where you can download and read/reply to the forums while you are sitting on the TTC. Third party apps don't work well (and remove any advertising which is of course needed for this site)
Why not just use the website? An app isn't going to let you browse offline.

WislaHD

Member Bio
Reaction score
I can upload photos from chrome browser but not from Samsung internet browser. Which is unfortunate because the site functions really really well on the Samsung browser otherwise.

Edit: nvm, should have updated the app before coming here to complain. Here is a google streetview car as apology.

IMG_20190514_163325.jpg

Last edited:

alklay

Member Bio
Reaction score
Agreed. It is too much clutter. And much of it is redundant with other things on top of the page (two places to search, two profile links, two forum links, etc)
And the right side 'slider' is hidden behind it for much of the page.

(I'm speaking of the desktop version, although the same issues of clutter and headings taking up space, apply to the mobile version)

Last edited:

alklay

Member Bio
Reaction score
And just a quick scrolling around the web shows that no respectable website has its (large) headings stuck at the top like that (obscuring the content that one came to the site for).

MetroMan

Member Bio
Reaction score
Sorry guys, as much respect as I have for all the work you’ve put into it, the result is just terrible.

The navigation at the top is duplicated:

...and then to navigate through an active thread where multiple new pages of posts are created every day, you have to scroll to the very bottom to get to the page navigation controls then scroll again all the way to the bottom to scroll back another page. Repeat and repeat and repeat until you get a few pages back where you want to start reading.

Just terrible. Sorry.

MetroMan

Member Bio
Reaction score
I mean, look...

This is just unusable UI. I used to spend a lot of time in front of a computer and in between tasks visited UrbanToronto. But the world has changed and most people access the internet from their smart phones.

Websites in this day and age should be designed for mobile first. I don’t even know what advice to give you other than to procure a web developer who can take what you’ve done and make sense of it on mobile.

EDIT: that’s supposed to be a video by the way. That media embedding doesn’t work on mobile either. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Leo_Chan

Member Bio
Reaction score
Something, which was already in place the last update, is that you can't use the Home and End keys on your keyboard to go to the top or bottom of the page, since there are two frames on the page, one for the navigation and one for the content. As a result, the only way to scroll is to click IN the content first and then use the keys.

One small thing is that the header covers the scroll bar on the right side of the screen:

One big problem also is that there's no option to save/delete drafts on mobile, since the button is missing.

MetroMan

Member Bio
Reaction score
This site is so broken, I can’t imagine you tested this well enough. Click on any search link in Google. Broken. Search in the forum itself: blank page, no way out. Broken.

I don’t know what to say other than that you should probably consider reverting back to the old functioning site until you figure this out.