News   Apr 16, 2024
 190     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 681     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 476     3 

miWay Transit

Note the 45 Winston Churchill does not connect to the 26 Burnhamthorpe either. It connects to the 35 Eglinton, but the 35 does not operate on Sundays. Between Derry and Lakeshore, the only major east-west route that the 45 connects to the 1 Dundas. Now the 1 is seeing reduced service with no substitute. That is terrible connections for a major north-south route.

The final nail in the coffin for the 45's weekend service. A few years ago, I remember that 45's weekend service was slated for cancellation. If this weekend service gets cancelled, this move is to blame.

But the BRT is coming though, that's an additional trip generator, as well as a connecting express bus to Square One.

I thought the original 101 serving Oakville and UTM made sense. Too bad Oakville Transit is so crappy, no one uses it.

Uptown Core sees very few passengers relative to the size of its terminal. There are only, like, at most 3 passengers at any time, even in the middle of the rush hour. 101 west would've been more popular if it entered the 403 to terminate at Sheridan College, but Oakville Transit has rerouted the 24 last September to have service along Dundas between Ridgeway and Uptown Core.

And yet somehow the 44 Mississauga Road still languishes with 33 minute off peak service. In my experience, the 44 is as crowded as the 1C, if not more crowded. The 44 regularly experiences closed doors during the midday. The midday frequency needs to be increased to 24 minutes. With 24 minute headways the 44 would take more pressure off the 1C as well (the 44 also serves Dundas).

Any route that serves a post-secondary institution has a tendency to get overcrowded. Maybe you see it as "over-servicing", but I think it's a preventive measure. I also think that it's preprartion for higher-order transit along Dundas, I dare say that I honestly think that an LRT along Dundas is better terminated at UTM than at Hurontario. It's far west enough for Oakville to serve.

One by one, I guess. First, they solved the 110's overcrowding problem by having 4 to 7.5-minute service. Now, they're doing it on 101. An increase in 44 will be hopefully next to finally solve all of the overcrowding problems in UTM.

EDIT: EEEEEKKKKK!!!! I didn't know that 101 will use Dundas and will NOT use Collegeway! Oh my goodness! What were they thinking? I thought the 101's routing was perfect, until I saw that they're using Dundas to go from South Common to UTM! I'm still shocked!

And yeah, 51 will have 11-minute service all the way to Derry, same thing for 5, with 9 to 10-minute service to Derry. Overall, an improvement.

The 1 section that was reduced to 28-minute service is actually past 1 AM. If they're going to introduce overnight service, that would be the ideal frequency to start with.

Last edited:
Any route that serves a post-secondary institution has a tendency to get overcrowded. Maybe you see it as "over-servicing", but I think it's a preventive measure.

Well, both the 44 and 110 serve UTM as well. My point was that it would make more sense to add more service for 44 instead of diverting more Dundas buses, to the point that Dundas buses provides more service to UTM than even the 110 provides, which is just a ridiculous amount of service.

1C, 44, 101, 101A all providing service between Westdale Mall and UTM is just extremely redundant. And certainly, there's no need to kill the Dundas corridor west of Erin Mills and kill the 45 in the process.

EDIT: EEEEEKKKKK!!!! I didn't know that 101 will use Dundas and will NOT use Collegeway! Oh my goodness! What were they thinking? I thought the 101's routing was perfect, until I saw that they're using Dundas to go from South Common to UTM! I'm still shocked!

Yeah, it's pretty crazy. Probably will be slower than 1C going from South Common to UTM.

Last edited:
May board change will see a reduction of service to Port Credit to every 15 minutes south of the Queenways. 19A & B will terminate at the Hospital and force route 4 out onto the road.

To off set some of this extra time, 103 headway will be reduce to every 10 minutes.

Have no problem with 19B being short turn as plan as there not much traffic south of Queensway outside of school peak time. Have to wait and see about 19A

The 19's will run every 5 minutes.

MiWay 0101

Ex-MiWay (Orion VII) 0101 spotted on Edward Street outside of World's Biggest Bookstore this morning around 11am, now sporting the NYC MTA livery.
A police officer said they were filming an episode of "Beauty and the Beast".

WP_20140401_10_56_43_Smart[1].jpg

WP_20140401_10_56_17_Smart[1].jpg

Attachments

• WP_20140401_10_56_43_Smart[1].jpg
    WP_20140401_10_56_43_Smart[1].jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 1,218
  • WP_20140401_10_56_17_Smart[1].jpg
    WP_20140401_10_56_17_Smart[1].jpg
    100 KB · Views: 1,372
Service improvements for Hurontario next month:

More Express Service For Your Commute on Hurontario Street

More Express Service For Your Commute

MiWay is continuing to enhance its express service network by reinforcing service along another one of Mississauga’s major corridors.

Effective May 5, 2014, MiExpress Route 103 - Hurontario Express will provide 10 minute service frequency all day between Brampton Gateway Terminal and Port Credit GO Station.

In March, MiWay enhanced its MiExpress service along the Dundas corridor by adding all day service and improving the routing on Route 101/101A - Dundas Express.
Revised Routing and Schedules on Routes 19, 19A, 19B and 19C

Due to the service improvements on Route 103 - Hurontario Express and changing customer demand, Routes 19, 19A, 19B and 19C will have revised routing and schedules.

Route 19 will continue to service Port Credit GO Station and will have more frequent service all day.

Routes 19A, 19B and 19C will now end at Trillium Heath Centre (STOP #0562) and will no longer service Port Credit GO Station.

On weekdays, Route 19 - Hurontario will depart stops every 12 minutes during rush hours and every 16 minutes during the midday. Routes 19A and 19B will depart stops every 24 minutes during rush hours and every 33 minutes during the midday.

On Saturdays, Routes 19 and 19C will depart stops every 16 minutes. Route 19A will no longer operate on Saturdays.

So 6 minute frequency during peak, 8 minutes off peak, between Trillium and Britannia. And that's just for 19.

I wonder what the combined frequency 19/103 will be. I would check the schedules, but MT's schedules are very SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW right now. I don't understand how a website could ever be so slow like that. It is practically unusable. I don't think it is acceptable for a customer service website to stop working like that, even temporarily. If transit was completely privatized and for profit, we wouldn't have to put up with crappy service like this.

Edit: Oh, it says right in the press release that 103 will be 10 minutes all day. I didn't pst the whole thing. I edited to include the whoel announcement.

Last edited:
So it's 6 minute local frequency plus 10 minutes express during rush. That's 3 minutes 45 second frequency on average for rush hour between Queensway and Britannia. Not bad. For midday it's 4 minutes 26 seconds combined frequency.

I think they made the right choice focusing on express service south of QEW since not many people stop in Mineola. It does kind of screw over all the people who live in those buildings between Queensway-QEW though... 12-16 minute frequency is considerably worse than the all-day 10 minute frequency the 19 had before 202 was introduced.

Service improvements for Hurontario next month:

So 6 minute frequency during peak, 8 minutes off peak, between Trillium and Britannia. And that's just for 19.

I wonder what the combined frequency 19/103 will be. I would check the schedules, but MT's schedules are very SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW right now. I don't understand how a website could ever be so slow like that. It is practically unusable. I don't think it is acceptable for a customer service website to stop working like that, even temporarily. If transit was completely privatized and for profit, we wouldn't have to put up with crappy service like this.

The city doesn't give a rat ass how MT website work as well being slow. I have raised this issue more times than enough to the point I have even spoken to the IT department face to face.

I have seen the server spin up to 2 minutes before process request and gives you the wrong info as requested.

There is a problem with the data in the first place as well servers under power. Very little money is being invested in the IT department that even City employees have issues getting info. They are still designing web pages and code gear for IE6 which is a piece of crap in the first place.

As for 19/103, it going to be fun and games, but 103 is every 10 minutes. Ridership between Queensway and PC is poor in the first place outside of school start/stop time. This is a setup of what to come when the LRT get built where service will be every 10 minutes to justify the use of 2 car trains.

I have made recommendation this past week that various low rider stop be remove this year as a prelude of what to come when stops will be remove for the new LRT stops. Never could understand why a few stops got place in the last 2 years when the area hasn't change in 20 years nor increase of riders in the area.

There is a major transit report coming out in May that calls for the removal how existing systems are setup and be total run by Metrolinx. Peel should be 1 system period like York and Durham. The same thing needs to happen to Halton. Riders don't care what colour the bus is so long they can get on it and matches their schedule.

Peel is very awkwardly set up. If Brampton and Mississauga were part of Halton, it would make sense to have Halton Transit. That would be GTA West, like YRT is GTA North, and Durham is GTA East. Peel Transit would just be two existing systems, both of which each are large systems in their own right, and the combined system would not encompasses all of western GTA. So the incentive and the benefit is not great for Peel Transit. Peel is just 3 municipalities and 2 of them don't even touch each other. What other Region is like this?

The problem is not the lack of Peel Regonal Transit, the problem is Peel Region itself. Peel is not a region. Peel Regional Transit wouldn't be a regional transit system. Move Caledon to Dufferin, and move Mississauga and Brampton to Halton. Then we can talk about having a regional transit system.

So it's 6 minute local frequency plus 10 minutes express during rush. That's 3 minutes 45 second frequency on average for rush hour between Queensway and Britannia. Not bad. For midday it's 4 minutes 26 seconds combined frequency.

Strange, but as long as you don't mind limited stop service, Hurontario Street north of Highway 401 has pretty good service now, between MT 103, BT 502 and the BT 2 and MT 19 covering part of that corridor. I only wish that BT improved service on the 502 to minimum 15 minute frequencies at all times.

Back