News   Mar 28, 2024
 137     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

miWay Transit

July service board will see a lot of changes and realignment of routes for the BRT [...]
The new routing for Matheson is now up on Google. With 10 minute frequencies on Eglinton I don't really see the need for the 87. A two-way 43, maybe with a few trips serving Creditview instead of Argentia, would do much more for the network.
Route43Matheson.png

A couple of other interesting tidbits about the schedule:
* The new 87/35 combination is actually scheduled to be up to seven minutes faster than the old 89, so by some measures it's an improvement over the one-seat-ride 89.
* The new schedule for the 48 on Sundays (seems like a pilot project) means all-day 17-minute frequency between South Common - Erin Mills TC - Meadowvale TC. Hopefully they'll see the benefits of this and do the same on Saturdays and for other routes.

Last edited:
89 is busy because it funnels riders along Britannia onto the Eglinton corridor, doing double duty of serving both Britannia and Eglinton. 39 Britannia only goes as far as Kennedy so the 89 is only choice for Britannia riders to go east of Kennedy. A 43 Matheson with proper two-way service would make the 87/89 obsolete, and also provide relief to the 35.

Not having a single east-west through route between Derry and Eglinton is pretty ridiculous and it's sad that the MT planners are so out of touch that they still will not fix this problem even after all these years.

MT 2013 Budget
Based on updated ridership data from March 2012 a review of system
efficiencies was conducted which focused on three main indicators
including: Daily Boardings, Boardings per Service Hour and Subsidy
per Boarding. The following thresholds were set for each indicator:
• Daily Boardings - Less than 300 passengers
• Boardings per Service Hour - Less than 11
• Subsidy per Boarding - Greater than $5.00 per passenger (system
average is $1.35)
Based on this criteria, the following routes and service times were
identified:
Rout Bus Daily
Boarclings
Subsidy Forecasted
Service
Service Description Wards Frequency 2012
per
per Annual
Service Hours/Day
Boarclings
Hours
Boarding Savings
Saturday 49 McDowell 9,10,11 40 min 1 95 8.46 11.23 $9.13 $45,980
Saturday 91 Hillcrest 4,6,7 53 min 1 95 8.70 10,92 $8.84 $44,490
Sunday 49 McDowell 9,10,11 40 min 1 70 7.07 9.90 $14.13 $60,350
Sunday 91 Hillcrest 4,6,7 40 min 1 70 6.95 10.07 $14.39 $51,465
[ $212,2851
Given that the frequencies currently provided on these routes fall far
short of acceptable standards and that the number of buses in use is at
minimum levels, there are no mitigation alternatives available that
would improve the efficiency of these services. Straight cancellation
of these routes, on the service days indicated, remains the only
alternative available to meet the desired budgetary savings.
The cancellation of Route 49-McDowell on weekends will require
east/west passengers from northern Churchill Meadows to walk north
to access Route 39-Britannia, south to Route 41-Thomas, or east to
Route 45-Winston Churchill. Cancellation of this service will make
access to transit service less convenient for the current passengers
using Route 49-McDowell on weekends.
1 - 3
Budget Committee
STRATEGIC PLAN:
- 3 - August 8, 2012
Weekend service on Route 91-Hillcrest was launched in 2011 to
replace the service previously provided by Route 61-Mavis.
To date, there has been very little passenger demand for the service
provided by Route 91-Hillcrest service on weekends and holidays,
with no prospects of further growth in ridership that would justify the
continuation of weekend service on Route 91-Hillcrest. Cancellation
of Route 91-Hillcrest would effectively isolate a portion ofthe service
area along Mavis Rd. Current and future weekend customers will have
longer walking distances to access public transit service on weekends.
On the northern sector, Route 28-Confederation and Route 26-
Bumharnthorpe, as well as Route 6-Credit Woodlands, will continue
providing general coverage to the area. The Hillcrest-Clayhill
community will need to walk south to access Route I-Dundas.
While cancellation of Route 49 and 91 on Saturday and
SundaylHolidays will assist in addressing current financial pressures,
they will erode MiWay's ability to make steady progress towards the
long-term strategic pillar of becoming a transit oriented city and, as
well, will impair the achievement of the strategic pillar aiming to
connect the different communities in our city.
FINANCIAL IMPACT: The service cancellations summarized above would generate
reductions to operating costs but will likely also bring about a
reduction in revenue.
Service Cancellation
Route 49 & 91 - Saturday
and Sunday Cancellation
"'" ''', ',' Annualized Savings",' ,Full Time"
Hour~"""", Budget,., ,!bp,~~~!~~~
2,392 $212,285 1
Due to the planning and scheduling deadlines, which are set well in
advance of board period cycles, as well as the need to ensure optimum
customer communication on these matters, the earliest possible date
when any service adjustments adopted by Council could be
implemented would be with the January 28,2013 service changes. In
order to realize full 2013 savings, approval no later than October 24,
2012 is required.
Fare Change
To off-set a portion of the 2013 rise in costs, a fare increase is being
proposed effective January 28,2013.
Several fare change options were considered and the associated
revenue increase and ridership impacts examined. Based on the
review, the following fare changes are recommended.
Category Current Proposed Change
Fare Fare
All Cash $3.25 $3.25 none
Adult Ticket $2.60 $2.70 +$0.10
Adult Weekly Pass $29/wk $32/wk +$3/wk
Adult Monthly Pass $ 120/month $ 120/month none
Student Tickets $2.25 $2.25 none
Student Weekly Pass $24.50/wk $24.50/wk none
Student Monthly Pass $101/month $101lmonth none
Senior Tickets $1.75 $1.80 +$0.05
Senior Monthly Pass $47/month $50/month +$3/month
Senior Annual Pass $474/year $504/year $30/yr
GO Transit -Cash $0.70 $0.75 +$0.05
GO Transit Monthly $26.00 $27.00 +$lImonth
Note: PRESTO cost per trip pricing would be consistent with the
proposed ticket fares for each category indicated above.
A complete fare table including percent increases is provided as
Appendix 2.
The recommended fare change is based on a detailed analysis that
considered ridership impacts, GTA fare averages and other GTA
transit system RIC ratios.
Ridership Impacts
http://www.mississauga.ca/file/COM/2012budgetagenda_september19.pdf

46 should serve Streetsville GO all day, 49 should service Erin Mills TC all day. Otherwise, redundant.

91's problem is that the weekend's route serves very little of Hillcrest (where the bulk of the ridership is) and there's no connection to Cooksville GO or Hurontario. It's a weekend version of the route serves mostly industry. Pointless. If the weekend routing was same as weekday they wouldn't be considering cuts right now.

MT can't even make a route serving Sq One viable on Saturdays. That's just incompetence.

The fare increase for 2013 was approved today.

Route 91 is cancel on the weekend.

Route 49 & 41 will be realign and that may change in the coming weeks after there have been community meetings for input and feed back on the route 49 problems for the weekend only at this time.

I still say that 49 should become an east-west route from 9th line east to Dixie Rd using Thomas, Bristol and Matheson.

As for 91, either 68 stays on Mavis running to Dundas and then to the Cooksville GO station or a new Mavis Route from Derry Rd to Dundas and Cooksville station. Doing this opens a new market to get people to use GO than the old 61 or 91 route as it would be faster. Having the route go to Dundas allows a fast way to get to Dundas than going through Sq One and using 19. It removes not only a transfer, but help to take the pressure off 19.

If 61A goes to Dundas 7 days a week, it will require riders to transfer at Rathburn to Route 9 or at Bristol for the 10 or at Eglinton for the 34 to get to Sq One, other than wait for the 61. I would beef up 9 and 61 as well getting Route 20 to run to Erindale GO Station that is long over due doing this now.

There was almost an hour debate on fares.

Based on these items and it was said, the 2013 budget for MT is going to be long and costly as service has to be added to cover part of the BRT opening in 2013, but the full cost in 2014 as well other routes. Cost ratio is in the high 40's now and going downhill.

The big problem council refused to look at is giving more parking spaces to homeowner that will take riders off or away from the system as well not building more density in all areas of the city than just a few area.

The city needs service under 30 minutes 7 days a week max with service running to 2-3 am on Friday and Sat night as well a number of 7/24 routes even if they ran hourly at first.

The city needs service under 30 minutes 7 days a week max with service running to 2-3 am on Friday and Sat night as well a number of 7/24 routes even if they ran hourly at first.

This.

During Sundays, the first bus of Rathburn going westbound has all seats taken. That also applies to the first bus of Burnhamthorpe from Islington, which deaprts at 9:35 AM!!!!! Wow! I can't believe how late Burnhamthorpe starts on Sundays!!! Both these routes (especially 26) need to start earlier in Sundays. Burnhamthorpe's Sunday service is really a total neglect. I mean 33-minute service, with overcrowded conditions?!!?! That's insane! With so great service for weekdays, and decent service on Saturdays, you'll expect at least decent service on Sundays.

Hurontario, Burnhamthorpe, and Dundas have demand for 24/7 service.
Bloor, Dixie, and Westwood have demand for 24/5 service, or even 24/6.

Last buses are also crowded, I mean, Mavis and Rathburn end too early on Sundays. All seats are taken on the last buses of these routes leaving Square One. I think this is due to Square One extending their service hours to 9 on Saturdays and 7 on Sundays and MiWay hasn't made any adjustments in response to that.

Really, all buses that end at 7 on a Saturday must end at 10 PM. And those buses that end at 7 on Sundays must end at least 9 PM, if not later.

This.

During Sundays, the first bus of Rathburn going westbound has all seats taken. That also applies to the first bus of Burnhamthorpe from Islington, which deaprts at 9:35 AM!!!!! Wow! I can't believe how late Burnhamthorpe starts on Sundays!!! Both these routes (especially 26) need to start earlier in Sundays. Burnhamthorpe's Sunday service is really a total neglect. I mean 33-minute service, with overcrowded conditions?!!?! That's insane! With so great service for weekdays, and decent service on Saturdays, you'll expect at least decent service on Sundays.

Hurontario, Burnhamthorpe, and Dundas have demand for 24/7 service.
Bloor, Dixie, and Westwood have demand for 24/5 service, or even 24/6.

Last buses are also crowded, I mean, Mavis and Rathburn end too early on Sundays. All seats are taken on the last buses of these routes leaving Square One. I think this is due to Square One extending their service hours to 9 on Saturdays and 7 on Sundays and MiWay hasn't made any adjustments in response to that.

Really, all buses that end at 7 on a Saturday must end at 10 PM. And those buses that end at 7 on Sundays must end at least 9 PM, if not later.

I have raised these issue for years, but falls on deaf ears.

I stated that just because TTC doesn't start subway service until 8:50am on Sunday, it doesn't mean TTC is not running service and therefore, service should start earlier. Since we are now 7/24, we need service to match it now.

There is another budget meeting coming up in Oct as far as I know at this time for MT, where the full budget for it will be on the table.

Council is great for saying we must have service out there to meet the demand, but unwilling to spend more dollars to do it without putting higher taxes on the property owners.

As the director of Transit said, if it cost $17 to put a rider in the seat for a poor performing route, it better to kill the route by using that money to put 5 rider on a higher performing route. I totally agree with him, but need to make sure we are not cutting our nose off doing this.

40% of MT routes are real money looser with very high seat cost and only going to get worse, as there is no new development or increase density for the routes in the pipeline, since they are well stable route over 5 years with no growth in them at this time or 10 years from now.

When I was a board member for the Santa Clause Parade, I either had to try to get a ride to the start of the parade route or walked to it at Erindale Station and Burnhamthorpe at 7:30 am on Sunday since there was no bus service to get me from the east side of Hurontario St to the start point.

I had store manger tell me they could not get to the 9:30 staff meeting at Sq One, as there was no bus to get them from Islington to it on Sunday, since the first bus left after the meeting started.

Based on my Europe trip, I found very few routes seeing no service on Sunday compare to the rest of the week and most started no later than 7:30 am. This is odd considering there very few store open on Sunday in the first place. Until about 11:30 am on Sunday, the headway's are close to 30 minutes max for some route with others being less. The headway then drops to 20 minutes or less depending on the routes. There are some that are 60 minutes all day.

What does MT do, it guts most of the service for Sunday and provide poor headway.

I strongly recommend people email both MT and every councilor, as well the city about what you want to see happen in the way of transit needs and why. You need to put yourself before council at General Committee meetings on transit issues, as that is the only way you are going to get their attention.

What every you do, do your bitching, but most of all, offer solutions for it, as it goes along way. Bitching just turns them off.

Do your homework on your issues, as it earn you points with council. Do a powerpoint presentation or use the overhead screen to make your case. You only need a USB stick for your powerpoint presentation. Take up a petition for your cause. You have 15 minutes to make your case.

My earlier post, I got 41 and 46 mixed up. I meant 41 should serve Streetsville all day, not 46. The 41/49 setup now is a bit redundant, especially for Sunday. There is no need for both these routes to overlap so much.

Sunday 26 was supposed to have seen an increase in frequency to 22 minutes already, not sure why that plan was not implemented. Weekend really needs higher frequencies, earlier/later trips for all routes. MT's weekend service is really outdated compared to weekdays.

1 Dundas and 19 Hurontario at the very least should run 24 hours (a la blue night).

I also think they should rename 19 Hurontario to 2 Hurontario.

My earlier post, I got 41 and 46 mixed up. I meant 41 should serve Streetsville all day, not 46. The 41/49 setup now is a bit redundant, especially for Sunday. There is no need for both these routes to overlap so much.

Sunday 26 was supposed to have seen an increase in frequency to 22 minutes already, not sure why that plan was not implemented. Weekend really needs higher frequencies, earlier/later trips for all routes. MT's weekend service is really outdated compared to weekdays.

Lack of quality service on the weekend is hurting MT, but council still think people should be driving or staying in.

There should be a max of 30 minute headway 7 days a week for routes that are poor, but the runtime drives the headway up when only 1 bus is servicing the route.

"ALL" major trunk lines should be max 15 minutes with a number being 10 minutes or less on the weekend, especially 19. "ALL" Service needs to start between 7-7:30 am on Sunday, even if it every 15-30 minutes and fall by 11:00 am.

With the plan change for 41/49 on the weekend, 49 will disappear with the new alinement.

At this time, there is "NO" service to the Hersey Centre or the other complexes in the area 7 days a week without doing "MAJOR" backtracking and dealing with lack of service after an event there. 46 or X route should run from 9th line to Dixie Rd at least as an east-west route 7 days a week up to 1:00 am.

Lack of funding and money being put into the BRT is sucking funding away for various routes at this time.

The way MT is set up, having strict max headway of 10, 15, 30 minutes is kinda excessive. For example, I would be fine with them keeping 19 Hurontario at 13 minutes on Sundays and just adding 103 Hurontario Express at 25 minute frequency. Similarily, a new 40 minute Sunday service for 35 Eglinton would be great too.

And there are shorter routes where 30 minute service not feasible at all. For example, if you add another bus to route 41, it becomes a 20 minute frequency, not 30. Do you really think the 41 deserves 20 minute frequency? And even for a longer route like 26 Burnhamthorpe, I would be happy with the 22 minutes for Sundays that they were planning. But I guess that's just me.

Actually, frequency is probably not the main issue of weekend MT anymore, other than a handful of routes (namely, 1, 5, 26, 45). I think the main issue are the remaining "gaps" in the service. Like the lack of service after 6pm or before 9am on Sundays, the lack of bus service along Matheson, that sort of thing. That is probably what they should focus on, not frequency.

1 Dundas and 19 Hurontario at the very least should run 24 hours (a la blue night).

On weekdays, 1 Dundas already has 24 hour service, sort of, technically. First eastbound trip begins at 3:53am and the last one ends at 2:22am. First westbound trip begins at 4:00am and last one ends at 3:20am. Adding even one or two full trips in both directions would probably be enough to make it a true 24 hour route.

I also think they should rename 19 Hurontario to 2 Hurontario.

No way! The 19 is just too iconic. If there is any change, it should be to 10, not 2.

No way! The 19 is just too iconic. If there is any change, it should be to 10, not 2.

19 is only iconic in the sense that it's been 19 for a while. Hurontario used to be 2 so I think it should go back to 2. There is no route 2 in service now so I don't see why not.

Back