News   Mar 28, 2024
 10     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 530     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 339     0 

miWay Transit

^ MT could save a lot of money by combining 17 and 50 into one route.

But yeah, MT should serve Mississauga residents, not Toronto residents. MT should only provide service to Toronto residents if the City of Toronto removes its ban on 905 transit within its borders. If the City of Toronto has a law designed to prevent the 905 from providing transit service to Torontonians, then the 905 shouldn't provide transit service to Torontonians.

I have recommended that 17 needs to go, as it carries very few riders and roams various streets trying to find them. There is a need for a better routing for this area and that a review be under taken by MT to look at it.

It will not happen until the BRT open up, but there maybe some changes before then.

When I recommended the 57 routing years ago, MT never thought it would work even though they agree with me on this routing. I never saw high ridership for the route, but it would have a 60%+ cost recovery. Its been only the last few years that ridership has spike for the route.

For me personally (I live across the street from the Meadowvale Town Centre), I recently started taking the 57 because of the 109's diversion to City Centre Terminal; I find the 57 is often times faster on the return trip from Islington.

Last edited:
Since the 39 ends at Kennedy, then 27 only provides service in one direction (and the non-peak direction no less), the 57 is the closest there a proper east-west through-route between Derry and Eglinton (a HUGE gap), so that's probably also part of the reason why its ridership has increased so much.

Its looks like 103 will get a new stop for the June Board if things stay on track and being the one I have been pushing since the days before 202 hit the road and that is John St/Cooksville Go Station.

I noticed on Monday before the CP bridge a new traffic light sign cover up which told me traffic lights going in at John St. As we past the St, sure enough the whole area is marked out for traffic light.

When I was talking to the Commissioner of Transportation last year about the delay of the bridge and riders trying to cross the St, he said the short term soluction was to install traffic light until the bridge is built as well Metrolinx coming up with a master plan for the station. Since the EA is still not out and will be a few years tell its completed, the city has found funds for this stop for 103.

I have stated time after time that there needs to be an 202/103 stop over the year as it would encourage GO riders to leave the car at home north of the 403 and use the bus. The riders would not have to fight the gridlock getting out of the parking lot onto Hurontario. I know 3 people now who will use the 103 from Bristol once this stop goes in.

I was on the 28 on Monday and with no traffic on Rathburn, the bus took 3.48 minutes to go off Confederation and drop us off at the terminal. That 8 minutes of off route travel not adding the layover time at the terminal if you combine 28/66 as call for. Even doing a stop and go at the loading bay, you lost minimum of 10 minutes off route extra travel time under perfect condition. Since perfect only happens at night and off peak, you will need 15 minutes, if you combine 28/66 together using the terminal for the rest of the time. Add more time to the run time will increase headway without adding a buses. Adding a bus will reduce headway and decease the route cost ratio.

Pilot project looks like a success.

http://www.mississauga.ca/file/COM/MiWay_Route67_WeeklyRidership.pdf

They have managed to keep the subsidy below $4.94 (with some anomalies, of course). Because of that, it will add more trips!

http://www.mississauga.ca/file/COM/MiWay_Route67_ScheduleMap_Mar2012.pdf

And they'll see what happens from there.

If you look at Monday and Friday, they have the highest cost per rider for some reason. The rest of the week is close to the benchmark to survive.

Adding the extra trips in March, I expect the cost per rider will increase.

This would have been so helpful when I was going to school.

This only happen in the last 6 months. Up to that time, GO bus rider were 100% out of pocket using MT, since GO was not willing to cough the funds, as well MT was not prepared to loose money.

MT is looking at everything that will loose money for them these days to the point pass holders are force to pay an extra fare to use BT to get to SW now, while cash fare riders can do it with a transfer.

The longer MT keeps quite on this fare use, more fund for them.

I use co-fares all the time when I go to Mississauga, and I don't use Presto. What do you mean it's for cardholders only?

Before PRESTO, you could only use the co-fare if you took an MT bus to/from a GO rail station and only if the bus directly served the rail station. With PRESTO, you get the co-fare if you transfer from any local bus to/from any GO service anywhere in the region - except TTC of course.

So the co-fare is valid at say Bramalea City Centre, Richmond Hill Terminal, YRT/BT to GO at York U?

That's great. I thought I got the co-fare before making such transfers before. Brampton Transit had it good because apart from BCC, all the local-to-GO bus locations were at stations anyway like Bramalea for York U and Downtown Terminal. The no co-fares to/from Square One terminal was stupid given that GO now offers parking there anyway.

Back