News   Apr 15, 2024
 919     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 646     0 

miWay Transit

I'm sure the heavy backlash was against the cancellation of 33, not 33A. The 33 did have the most service and ridership after all. I cannot understand why MT didn't give this route a chance considering the high ridership of 16/16A and 36/47. And the 33 by itself didn't have terrible performance - it was only terrible if you combine it with the 33A. The numbers they used to justify the cancellation were for 33 and 33A combined - big mistake.

33A failed just like every other GO shuttle in Mississauga. With Milton having 7 trips in each direction, these shuttles have become obsolete. Peak only, unidirectional services are simply not convenient or cost-effective enough, especially when they as lengthy as 33A/67.

What I find interesting is the slide that shows where $4280 in municipal taxes per household go:

47% Region
28% City
25% Education

Peel Region is responsible for: Police, Garbage, Water.
The City is responsible for: Fire, Libraries, Parks & Rec, Transit

Does it seem to anyone else like the Region gets a lot more than you'd expect based on the services they actually provide?

What I find interesting is the slide that shows where $4280 in municipal taxes per household go:

47% Region
28% City
25% Education

Peel Region is responsible for: Police, Garbage, Water.
The City is responsible for: Fire, Libraries, Parks & Rec, Transit

Does it seem to anyone else like the Region gets a lot more than you'd expect based on the services they actually provide?

The Region also runs public health (which isn't cheap), the water and waste water systems are very expensive, as the network is both being expanded and rebuilt. The Region also administers all the Harris downloaded social services, like housing, welfare administration, etc, and the ambulance service.

What I don't get is why Caledon pays for OPP rather than join Peel Police; Durham, Halton and York serve their rural townships just fine.

12 BRT buses is probably just confusion with the replacements for the 2001 artics, possibly arriving 2012 and or 2013, at around the same time as the opening of the BRT. 12 or 15, it's nothing to get so worked up about, nor is it a indication of drum118 credibility as a source of info about transit in Mississauga.

Two weeks ago Mississauga Transit's new general manager started. Patrick Phaneuf was the acting general manager since September when Mickey Frost resigned from the position. I can't remember the guy's name, however he has worked for Brampton Transit and Veolia, whether or not this will represent a change or not is another question. Mickey Frost is the Director of Enforcement, I don't know if it's at the city-level or transit-level enforcement though.

Last edited by a moderator:
The City of Mississauga’s MiWay reaches settlement with Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1572

Feb 08, 2012

At its meeting today, Mississauga Council ratified the memorandum of settlement between Mississauga's MiWay – the new Mississauga Transit and the Amalgamated Transit Union (ATU) Local 1572.
"We are happy to report that members of ATU Local 1572 voted 71 per cent in favour of a contract that provides competitive compensation to union members while being fiscally responsible with respect to taxpayers in a time of financial restraint," said Geoff Marinoff, director of Transit.

The four-year agreement provides for a two per cent cost of living in each year and contains provisions to help manage absenteeism costs. The settlement is in line with neighbouring transit services and speaks to the City’s history of good labour relations and collaborative efforts to achieve negotiated settlements.

ATU Local 1572 represents 885 transit operators and 134 maintenance staff and transit sales agents.

Marinoff explained that this agreement represents the City of Mississauga's continued commitment to providing its customers with a reliable transit service. The four-year agreement which expires on September 30, 2015 assures MiWay customers of no disruption in service for the duration of this agreement.

For customized route and schedule information visit www.miway.ca or call 905-615-INFO (4636). View scheduled departure times on a smartphone or other mobile devise at m.miway.ca or download the MiWay iPhone/iPod Touch application from the Apple iTunes App Store (www.miway.ca/app).

As Canada's sixth largest city, Mississauga is home to 734,000 residents and 55,000 businesses, including 63 Fortune 500 companies with Canadian head offices or major divisional head offices. A diverse, progressive and award-winning municipality located on the shores of Lake Ontario in the heart of the Greater Toronto Area, Mississauga is "Leading Today for Tomorrow" by focussing on delivering services, implementing its Strategic Plan, delivering value for money and maintaining infrastructure.
http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/cityhall/pressreleases/?paf_gear_id=9700020&itemId=114500115n

The March 30 service changes will be mostly tweaking of time for various routes as usually.

Route 61 and 91 get change 100% for week day service as I recommended at Sept budget meeting.

Downside, no service to Cooksville by Mavis as I recommended. More later on this.

61/61A
Service re-designed: new route path and schedules to better serve the
core customer base.
Routes 61 and 61A will start/terminate at the City Centre Transit Terminal
(see Route 91 for the area south of the City Centre).
Improved peak hours frequencies, as follows:
Period Old frequency New Frequency
AM PEAK 17 MINUTES 13 MINUTES
MIDDAY 18.5 MINUTES 18.5 MINUTES
PM PEAK 17 MINUTES 14 MINUTES
EVENING 34 MINUTES 34 MINUTES

New weekday service: Route 91, previously offered on weekends only,
will now be introduced as an all-day service on weekdays, replacing
Routes 61/61A between the City Centre and Cooksville GO, with the
following frequencies:
Period Previous 61/61A Route 91
AM PEAK 17 MINUTES 22 MINUTES
MIDDAY 18.5 MINUTES 45 MINUTES
PM PEAK 17 MINUTES 23 MINUTES
EVENING 34 MINUTES 40 MINUTES

So will 91 serve all of Hillcrest and Cooksville GO? The route is almost useless otherwise. Even on weekends, people along Hillcrest should still be able to use the route connect to the GO buses, or go to Sq One. I guess what's really needed is the pedestrian bridge over Highway 10 so riders along Hillcrest can transfer to the 19 directly...

I was using the 61 last week northbound during evening rush and bus was in a closed door situation. Luckily there were more passengers getting off than getting on. But obviously the route is at capacity, so I am not surprised to see this improvement.

The people along Webb Dr are getting screwed though since there will be no more routes going north of Sq One. I've said it before, the 28 and 66 should have been combined a long time ago.

So will 91 serve all of Hillcrest and Cooksville GO? The route is almost useless otherwise. Even on weekends, people along Hillcrest should still be able to use the route connect to the GO buses, or go to Sq One. I guess what's really needed is the pedestrian bridge over Highway 10 so riders along Hillcrest can transfer to the 19 directly...

I was using the 61 last week northbound during evening rush and bus was in a closed door situation. Luckily there were more passengers getting off than getting on. But obviously the route is at capacity, so I am not surprised to see this improvement.

The people along Webb Dr are getting screwed though since there will be no more routes going north of Sq One. I've said it before, the 28 and 66 should have been combined a long time ago.

Other than changing numbers, there is no different between the routes or how they operate. 91 is following the old 61 routing on the weekend now and will follow the current routing today.

The headway does change due to lack of demand.

As for combing routes, totally disagree, as the quality of service is different. Why give gold service for a few when it should go to the rest?

The Webb folks screw themselves years ago by not paying $1 for the shuttle bus, as well use any of MT service. One reason the #3 was cut, since it rarely pickup anyone on Sunday and I have years of data on it. The need of the many #3 riders out weight the odd rider west of the valleys.

The bridge was to be built last year, but until the Milton EA is done, it is on hold until then.

If you want 28 & 66 combine, then it comes a grid route and does not service Sq One. Riders need to start learning how to transfers to reduce operation cost, as those single seat rides are killers.

As Canada's sixth largest city, Mississauga is home to 734,000 residents and 55,000 businesses, including 63 Fortune 500 companies with Canadian head offices or major divisional head offices. A diverse, progressive and award-winning municipality located on the shores of Lake Ontario in the heart of the Greater Toronto Area, Mississauga is "Leading Today for Tomorrow" by focussing on delivering services, implementing its Strategic Plan, delivering value for money and maintaining infrastructure.
http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/cityhall/pressreleases/?paf_gear_id=9700020&itemId=114500115n

Why does mississauga.ca keep putting in that paragraph at the end of every article? Quit being a broken record already.

Last edited:
But a city's website should be written for its residents, not for the media. Besides, the writers at the Mississauga News already filter out the "sixth largest city" trailer instinctively, and I haven't seen any newspapers outside the GTA ever run articles based on Mississauga's website.

As for combing routes, totally disagree, as the quality of service is different. Why give gold service for a few when it should go to the rest?

28 and 66 have similar ridership, similar frequency, similar cost per boarding, etc. There is little difference between them. You have the data. You know this already.

The Webb folks screw themselves years ago by not paying $1 for the shuttle bus, as well use any of MT service.

I'm not sure a shuttle bus with circular routing can be compared to a regular route.

One reason the #3 was cut, since it rarely pickup anyone on Sunday and I have years of data on it. The need of the many #3 riders out weight the odd rider west of the valleys.

You can't expect a Sunday-only route to perform as well a 5-7 day service.

If you want 28 & 66 combine, then it comes a grid route and does not service Sq One. Riders need to start learning how to transfers to reduce operation cost, as those single seat rides are killers.

Based on the ratio of revenue rides (approx 31M) to boardings (approx 45M), Mississauga Transit is already one of the most transfer-dependent transit systems in North America, and that's not even including transfers to OT, BT, GO and TTC.

If you want to make MT more dependent on transfers, why wouldn't you have 28 and 66 serving CCTT and connecting with not only other MT routes, but also GO and the BRT? Doesn't make sense to me.

Riders need to start learning how to transfers to reduce operation cost, as those single seat rides are killers.

Even assuming no loss of ridership (which would reduce revenue and therefore reduce efficiency), how would forcing riders of 28 and 66 to use route 9 to get to CCTT increase efficiency? We are talking about the removal of 2-3 minutes from each of 28 and 66 in each direction, while dumping riders onto already full route 9 buses. And is making people get off the bus and wait for the next bus, increasing their time using the system more efficient? I don't think so.

I like the upcoming increases for Mavis, but the decrease south of Square One is understandable.

Anyways, I saw a northbound 57 bus last Friday afternoon with an almost fully-seated passenger load. I was surprised.

Makes me think if there are people riding 50 and 17 in the reverse peak direction (southbound during AM rush and northbound during PM rush)... Maybe those can be better allocated to serve passengers of the residential routes further south (35, 20, 26, 76, 3, 1) in the peak direction (to Islington during AM rush and from Islington during PM rush).

Last edited:

Back