News   Mar 28, 2024
 130     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 187     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 251     0 

miWay Transit

If you are referring to my post, ridership will determine what local route will go to Kipling.

MT has no plans running haft empty buses to Kipling anymore and I support them on that plan.

As for 39 going to Renforth, it needs to happen in 2012, but I don't think that's in the work.

When the BRT opens, major revamping of routes will take place as well running shuttle buses to service the airport corp centre.

As for the 89, riders who used it and now use the 109, have gone back to using 89 since it is faster.

The day of transferring is at hand. Only good if there is good connection between routes as well headway.

The 89 or 27 are the best way for me to get to the subway by MT, if I were to need to.

Instead of the usual talk of service cuts and changes I would like to take a moment look into the future and propose new transit service for Mississauga. During the recent byelection in Ward 5 a few of the candidates spoke of reducing the alienation that the Malton area suffers due to its location vs the rest of the city. So, as a resident of Malton I started to think about what could bring us of Malton closer to the rest of Mississauga. In the next ten years or so we will see a lrt line along Hurontario, so I would like to propose that the next LRT line for Mississauga would service the northeast corner of Mississauga.
Allow me to describe the route. The line begin at the westwood mall terminal, a good place to start since the existing transit terminal is almost dead-centre of Malton. The line then travels south along Goreway to Derry road, it turns west to the Malton GO station and the International Centre, then south along airport road to the airport terminals. The line leaves the airport south and crosses the 401 to about where the TTC had proposed the renforth terminal for the Eglinton LRT. The line then turns west on Matheson and travels through the Airport Corporate Centre, continuing along Matheson under the 403 and to the Hershey Centre/Sportzone. The line would continue west to Hurontario and then would be interlined with the Hurontario lrt to the City Centre terminal.
I think this would be a pretty good route as it would service most nodes in the north-east, would link malton to mississauga and encourage transit use beyond commuting.
The obvious users would be those who are using the Malton 7 and Malton Express 107 routes and those using transit to get to the ACC from mississauga. Also, anyone going to the airport from either way would have an alternative to driving. Having the route pass the Hershey Centre would encourage transit use to the centre. Having it connect to GO at Malton would open the ACC to transit users along the Kitchener line, ie. take Go to Malton and then LRT to the Airport or ACC.
Finally, I think it's important to have the line run along Matheson and not along the BRT route for the simple reason that Matheson bisects the ACC putting the line closer to more buildings than where the BRT is currently placed, I think this would encourage more transit use as commuters would have a shorter distance to walk between the office and the lrt.
So my friends what do you think?

so I would like to propose that the next LRT line for Mississauga would service the northeast corner of Mississauga.

So my friends what do you think?

I don't think that will EVER happen. I'm sorry if I said it too harshly, but separating Malton from the rest of Mississauga is an extremely large industrial area, which is dead outside of rush hours. It's impossible to attain a ridership that is as high as Hurontario between Malton and the City Centre (30,000 passengers a day), especially if an industrial area is separating them.

As of now, even 107 can't have off-peak service, let alone weekends, and the best way to link Malton and the City Centre by rapid transit is by BRT, which is currently under construction. Also, 7 Airport by itself is even struggling to get under 30-minute frequency during weekends (Sundays used to be 45 minutes, now at 35, while Saturdays is at 30).

I believe that the next one to get an LRT is Dundas, as it is the second busiest corridor in the city. The best that Malton can get is BRT. I also like the ideas of a streetcar along Lakeshore, plus a BRT along Dixie, but those are far, far away in the future.

I don't think that will EVER happen. I'm sorry if I said it too harshly, but separating Malton from the rest of Mississauga is an extremely large industrial area, which is dead outside of rush hours. It's impossible to attain a ridership that is as high as Hurontario between Malton and the City Centre (30,000 passengers a day), especially if an industrial area is separating them.

As of now, even 107 can't have off-peak service, let alone weekends, and the best way to link Malton and the City Centre by rapid transit is by BRT, which is currently under construction. Also, 7 Airport by itself is even struggling to get under 30-minute frequency during weekends (Sundays used to be 45 minutes, now at 35, while Saturdays is at 30).

I believe that the next one to get an LRT is Dundas, as it is the second busiest corridor in the city. The best that Malton can get is BRT. I also like the ideas of a streetcar along Lakeshore, plus a BRT along Dixie, but those are far, far away in the future.

The infrequent service on 7 is just a symptom of underfunding I think. I hope that with the BRT operating that service on this route will get improved a lot. It's not like the 401/403/427 are empty off peak :)

aleesia, I agree that currently there are other routes in Mississauga that could support LRT more so than my suggestion. Much of southern Missisauga is fully developed so the ridership there probably won't change much in the next ten to twenty years, like the Spadina Subway north of Eglinton West. However, there is land to develop in the ACC still and along the rest of Matheson is mostly large industrial estates which are easier to redevelop since for a large property you're dealing with one owner. Just think of trying to redevelop Hurontario north of Eglinton, to acquire 1 hectare you'll need to negotiate with thirty or so owners. So i'm thinking that with redevelopment there is potential for a lot more riders than there is now.
Yes, after working hours the industrial zones are really dead, Matheson is a great bike route to mississauga from Malton on a Sunday afternoon, but so are residential areas in mississauga during working hours. When I see this route I think that there is ridership beyond commuters. Certainley there would be riders to and from the airport from the morning to late at night and riders could be going to the Hershey Centre on weekends and evenings.
As well, part of this route is going to be built anyway by Metrolinx and the TTC. The Eglinton West lrt eventually will go to the airport, that's 2-3km from renforth/eglinton to the airport that could be interlined with the Malton lrt. If the Finch West lrt ever gets built than going from Woodbine to the airport to link with the Eglington West lrt could be done along Derry road, why not connect to GO at Malton? So Miway could have about a third of this route being built anyway. Malton may get a tram line but like most of our other transportation links it would make it easier to get to the centre of Toronto and not Mississauga!

The redevelopment potential in Airport Corporate Centre is low due its proximity to the airport (i.e. no residential allowed).

Malton doesn't need LRT imo. The transitway is already under construction, and it will eventually be used by the 107, so I don't see the problem. The only problem is the 107 itself, which should stop servicing minor streets, and be rerouted onto Airport Rd. The intersection of Northwest Dr and Zahavy Dr simply is not a proper location for a rapid transit stop.

The real problem with Malton is just the opposite: it's best connections are with the rest of Mississauga, rather than with Toronto, especially Rexdale. The City of Toronto and the TTC should stop being douchebags and extend the 36 Finch West the 1300 metres to the Westwood Mall terminal isntead of ending the route at the Mississauga border. That would improve transit in Malton far more than anything Mississauga and MT can do.

Somewhat related to the Malton discussion.....i am quite surprised that Brampton's 4th Zum route (after Steeles next year) is a 3rd East West route along Bovaird. While this is personally very handy (I can walk to Bovaird) I would have thought a second N-S route would have been a) more useful and b) provide better balance. I thought a route down Airport Road from Sandalwood or Williams Pkwy....directly south via the Malton GO to the airport.

One of my thoughts, actually, was that Malton and the East end of Brampton are both a bit underserved and with the Airport offering itself as a pretty natural terminus for BRT route both could be helped. It would also serve to encourage some of the east Bramptoners to use public transit to get to GO.

Somewhat related to the Malton discussion.....i am quite surprised that Brampton's 4th Zum route (after Steeles next year) is a 3rd East West route along Bovaird. While this is personally very handy (I can walk to Bovaird) I would have thought a second N-S route would have been a) more useful and b) provide better balance. I thought a route down Airport Road from Sandalwood or Williams Pkwy....directly south via the Malton GO to the airport.

One of my thoughts, actually, was that Malton and the East end of Brampton are both a bit underserved and with the Airport offering itself as a pretty natural terminus for BRT route both could be helped. It would also serve to encourage some of the east Bramptoners to use public transit to get to GO.

Somehow I can't see there being any need for an express route along Airport Road - the Bovaird bus route seems to be busier (has higher frequency).

One express bus that I can see being quite useful though would be a Dixie express bus (run by Mississauga Transit). This would run between Bramalea Terminal and Long Branch, making the following stops: Bramalea Terminal, Bramalea GO Station, Dixie & Steeles, Dixie & Derry, Dixie & Courtneypark, Dixie & Britannia, Dixie & Matheson, Dixie & Eglinton, Dixie & Eastgate, Dixie & Rathburn, Dixie & Burnhamthorpe, Dixie & Bloor, Dixie & Dundas, Dixie GO Station, Dixie & Queensway, Dixie Outlet Mall, Long Branch GO Station (via the direct route along Dixie, not along Ogden).

Why not an actual Airport express route?

There already is a defacto BT, albeit not Zum, express Airport route, the 115, which goes between Bramalea Transit Terminal and the airport via Bramalea, Derry, and Airport, and stops at a few place along the way. My parents actually used it once, the first they'd used Brampton Transit in quite a few years, and they said it was fast and speedy.

Yeah, and there's MT 107, which hopefully will serve the airport one day.

Some MT documents have shown a future 105 Dixie Express from Dixie Mall to Bramelea City Centre, and a 104 Derry Express from Meadowvale to Westwood, but who knows when they will be implemented.

I agree, while the 107 is quicker to the Viscount parking lots the ten minute lead time over the 7 is eaten up by walking to the peoplemover platform and waiting for the train(?). Perhaps the airport should relink the two reaiming sections of Silver Dart Dr. and use it as a bus route only.

I have seen the changes for Jan 30, 2012 and a lot of changes 7 days a week.

#33 Cancel 100%
#31 Cancel weekend
#14 Cancel Sat
#68 Cancel Sun

#3 headway every 14 midday for weekday, down from 16.5
#3 Sunday route to follow the 6 day week routing. (Finally)

#8 Sat headway falls to 53 minutes from 60 with only one bus on the route. Gee!! either 45 or 60 using face clock

#7 Sunday route to follow new routing for the other 6 day rerouting
#7 will see new departure time on Sat with no change to headway.

#103 will see 20 minute service up to 2150 to SW and last bus depart SW at 2230 Weekday

#68 & #91 will interline every 53 minutes up from 40 on Sat. Gee!!

Some stops are being move or put back into service.
Westwood Terminal will see routes location change.

#89 & #201 will be accessibility routes. With all lowfloor now, all routes should be accessibility subject stop loading pads.

The rest is tweaking of routes departure time for a trip or two.

They should have just gave 40 minute frequency to the 8, instead of forcing 53 minute frequency upon 3 different routes. I thought MT was trying to do away with these kind of frequencies. Seems like a step backward from their recent efforts.

Sunday 29 is also being rerouted to make up for the loss of 31, which is a good change, because the 13/29/31/110 is kinda overkill (though I think MT should bring back the 48 south of South Common).

I have seen the changes for Jan 30, 2012 and a lot of changes 7 days a week.

#33 Cancel 100%
#31 Cancel weekend
#14 Cancel Sat
#68 Cancel Sun

#3 headway every 14 midday for weekday, down from 16.5
#3 Sunday route to follow the 6 day week routing. (Finally)

#8 Sat headway falls to 53 minutes from 60 with only one bus on the route. Gee!! either 45 or 60 using face clock

#7 Sunday route to follow new routing for the other 6 day rerouting
#7 will see new departure time on Sat with no change to headway.

#103 will see 20 minute service up to 2150 to SW and last bus depart SW at 2230 Weekday

#68 & #91 will interline every 53 minutes up from 40 on Sat. Gee!!

Some stops are being move or put back into service.
Westwood Terminal will see routes location change.

#89 & #201 will be accessibility routes. With all lowfloor now, all routes should be accessibility subject stop loading pads.

The rest is tweaking of routes departure time for a trip or two.
The 31 is only being cancelled on Sundays, not the entire weekend. Also, the stops are being shifted around at the Westwood Mall Terminal come January 30th, the 107 will now stop where the 16 stops. The 7 will now stop where the 42 stops. The 11, 11A and 11B will no longer have seperate platforms, the 11 and the 11B will now share one stop while the 11A will occupy the stop behind it. The 42 will now stop where the 18 stops and the 18 will now stop where the 7 stops. Finally, the 16 will stop where the 11B stops.

Last edited:
The January service changes: http://www.mississauga.ca/file/COM/miTRANSIT_30JAN2012.pdf. Not mentioned in the flyer is the reduction of the 7's frequency on Sundays from 35 to 40 minutes.

Here's the new Sunday routing of the 29. Frequency will be 40 minutes, not 32 as originally presented to Council.
29b.png

Back