News   Mar 28, 2024
 200     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 210     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 269     0 

miWay Transit

Creditview is broken up into many sections in Brampton anyway, thanks to Churchville, Eldorado Park, the Credit River, Mt Pleasant.... it makes no difference at all.

Though why they built Creditview to connect to Meadowvale Blvd (and ultimately Heritage Rd.) instead of continuing straight into Financial Dr. over the 407 (which requires a turn instead) is beyond me. If anything, Glen Erin should have connected to Heritage Rd.

They should keep the Second Line West bridge over the 401 open for cyclists and pedestrians though.

At least until the 401 is widened or the bridge requires costly repairs.

December 12 service changes

December service changes are out! I guess this is a feel-good edition to prepare riders for the weekend service cuts in 2012.
Highlights:
  • 1 Dundas: Saturday frequency increased from 14.5 to 13 minutes
  • 20 Rathburn: Westbound PM peak frequency increased from 19 to 16 minutes
  • 22 Finch: Midday frequency increased from 18 to 13 minutes, same as rush hour.
  • 35 Eglinton: AM peak frequency increased from 16 to 14.5 minutes, PM from 17 to 15.5.
  • 61A Mavis: Southbound service ends at 8:50 instead of 7:50
  • 66 McLaughlin: Frequency increase all day: peak from 15 to 13 minutes, off-peak from 20 to 16.
  • 103 Hurontario Express: PM peak frequency increased from 18-19 to 17 minutes. Also, a few short turn trips have been added between Shoppers World and the Queensway, creating some 9 minute headways, and southbound service now ends at 9:30 instead of 8:00.
  • 107 Malton Express: Will now stop at Tomken.
  • 110 University Express: 7.5 minute AM peak frequency is back, and new northbound-only short trips from UTM have been added during the PM peak.
  • 201 Dundas: Westbound early evening frequency increased from 22 to 9 minutes

And the New Year's service is much improved from last year, but still not at 2007 levels:
  • 1 Dundas: 23 minutes (was 33)
  • 3 Bloor: 40 minutes (was 80)
  • 5 Dixie: 31 minutes (was 45)
  • 9 Meadowvale: 45 minutes (was 75)
  • 11 Westwood: 35 minutes
  • 13 Glen Erin: 50 minutes
  • 19 Hurontario: 30 minutes
  • 23 Lakeshore: 70 minutes (was 75)
  • 26 Burnhamthorpe: 33 minutes (was 50)
  • 34 Credit Valley: 40 minutes
Yes, 13 is every 50 minutes while 23 is every 70 minutes, and no one thought to interline them. This being MT I'm not that surprised.

The new schedules are currently only posted to Google Transit – you can browse them either on Google or through this thing.

Last edited:
All I can say is WOW WOW WOW :D.

- Rathburn and Eglinton deserve service increase, and they just did it the right way.
- McLaughlin has a low subsidy rating, so it's gonna get an increase as well. Plus they just increased their frequency recently. That's impressive. Mavis should get theirs soon.
- 103 is carrying almost empty riders when I was around at Cooksville. 9-minute frequency at some times is a surprising move, but still welcomed though. Plus the extended service hours is good news as I always thought that 8 PM is too early.
- 107's additional stop at Tomken makes sense.
- I'm assuming that 8:50 is Sunday service for 61. If so, then good, because 61 ends too early during Sundays.
- 110 actually gets a convoy of 2 buses (going to UTM in the morning and back in the afternoon) because there was just way too much students, maybe that was not enough. BAD TIMING though because it's exam period. Should've launched in January.
- Finch deserves increase as well, as it is the only profiting route in the system. However, most likely, this is due to Humber College students, so I'm gonna say BAD TIMING as well for this route as it is exam period.
- Hmmm.... 201 gets more service by itself instead of mixing it or totally give it to 101. That's interesting.
- And finally the NYE service is better. December 31 lands on a Saturday IIRC, so that's even better!

Last edited:
- I'm assuming that 8:50 is Sunday service for 61. If so, then good, because 61 ends too early during Sundays.

He's referring to the 61A. Basically extending the 16-17 minute service along Mavis before the frequency drops to 33 minutes.

The new schedules are currently only posted to Google Transit – you can browse them either on Google or through this thing.

I actually used your link, and it looks like 20 is getting additional trips at the peak of the PM rush which staggers the frequencies from 18 to just 9 minutes, on average, which is even better. Surprised to this because 20 was 3,500 riders, but now it's only 2,900. MT is really closely watching the passenger count.

At Islington
5:45
5:52 (after 7 minutes)
6:03 (after 11 minutes)
6:12 (after 9 minutes)
6:21 (after 9 minutes)
6:39 (back to normal)
6:57
7:09 (after 12 minutes)
7:15 (after 6 minutes)
7:33 (back to normal)

He's referring to the 61A. Basically extending the 16-17 minute service along Mavis before the frequency drops to 33 minutes.

Oh well, that would be nice for Sheridan students living along Mavis.

I wouldn't look too much into those additional trips for 20. Considering the time, most likely MT is just using 20 for buses returning to the garage on Central Parkway after rush hour service ends, rather than just having the buses return to the garage as Sorry Out Of Service. It doesn't cost MT any money. Same goes for additional westbound trips for 201 in early evening. They're just buses returning to the garage from Islington.

9728 was the official high floor bus to be retire from service at Sq One today. It was on route 53.

The 4 riders getting off the bus received bag as thank you. The driver had many photos of him taken.

1106 took over for the 9723.

1133 was used to take the media and others on a short ride around Sq One. All of the new buses are in service now.

There were a few other high floors on the road today, but not anymore.

MT is 100% lowfloor and accessibility in Ontario and not sure if it is the first system to make and 1 year before the deadline to be 100% accessibility.

Route 14 official gone in Jan with no weekend service and night service.

Last edited:
Drum: I don't know if there's any sort of deadline for 100% accessibility in 2012. Brampton still has buses built in 1999 and 2001 that are high floor without lifts; those are now only found on the industrial routes and school specials, I don't see those being retired in the next 12 months. Certainly the TTC will not be ready as the streetcars won't arrive until 2013.

Ottawa, a much larger system, though, has a 100% low floor fleet. I'm pretty sure Hamilton is as well.

Drum: I don't know if there's any sort of deadline for 100% accessibility in 2012. Brampton still has buses built in 1999 and 2001 that are high floor without lifts; those are now only found on the industrial routes and school specials, I don't see those being retired in the next 12 months. Certainly the TTC will not be ready as the streetcars won't arrive until 2013.

Ottawa, a much larger system, though, has a 100% low floor fleet. I'm pretty sure Hamilton is as well.

MTO has had a dead line since 2006 that all transit buses must be accessible by the end of 2012.
The projected date for 100% accessibility that my office is projecting
(based on our tracking of municipal vehicle replacement schedules)is 2012.
This projection is for the bus fleet only.

There is no specific mention of streetcars in the OTVP guidelines, but they
are eligible under the program. If TTC were to purchase new streetcars /
LRTs, only accessible vehicles would be eligible.

I am aware of the TTC's plans to refurbish their streetcar fleet. I agree
that purchasing new vehicles would be preferable from an accessibility and
possibly from a long-term investment / service point of view. However, under
our guidelines, the refurbishment would be eligible. As with new purchases,
we would fund 1/3 of the capital cost.

The guidelines were set up with buses in mind and 6 years is mentioned
because major refurbishments extend the life of buses for about 6 years.
The 6 years is a minimum. This was to exclude minor refurbishments and
maintenance. As this is a capital program, only major refurbishments to
extend the life of the asset are eligible. As a result of this, the
streetcar refurbishmet would be eligible as it would extend the life of the
asset for more than 6 years

I'm not sure if you are aware but there is a debate going on at the City /
TTC Board on whether to purchase new or refurbish the streetcars. There are
some Toronto Councillors who are suggesting that they should purchase new
vehicles. They note accessibility and passenger comfort as two major
benefits. Others (and I believe the TTC engineers are included) are pushing
for the refurbishment option. Their rationale is purely based on cost.
They quote $5 million for a new vehicle compared to $1 million for a
refurbishment. They also noted that the low floor technology would require
major changes to their storage areas and maintenance facilities as the low
floor vehicles have all of their mechanicals in the roof. We are tracking
this debate. Of course from and accessibility point of view it would be
prefereable to purchase new vehicles. However, we recognize the technical
and cost issues related to replacing the fleet with new vehicles in a short
period of time.

You asked if we could "force" the TTC to purchase new low-floor LRT
vehicles. Unfortunately, we have no way to force them under the current
system. Our relationship to municipalites is as a funding partner. We are
currently working on an initiative to coordinate procurement of transit
vehicles across the province. This would give us a greater ability to
influence decisions such as this.

As for elevators in subway stations, a number of station rebuilds have been
included in the CSIF agreement which we are currently negotiating with the
federal government and City of Toronto/TTC.

I hope this has answered your questions.

Greg Tokarz
Manager, Transit Policy and Programs Office

That's not how I read it. There's no deadline that I see, just a projection by the transit office at the MTO that predicts that buses will be accessible by then. OTVP refers to the Ontario Transit Vehicle Program, a bulk-purchase agreement for (usually) smaller transit agencies. They can't just pull non-accessibile buses off the road in 2013. I expect that 98% of buses will be compliant, but there will be a few stragglers, and that's fine if they're used for rush-hour relief, school specials, etc.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/pubs/access10/

It might just be a projection...but it seems like transit systems are wanting to be ahead of the curb in Ontario in terms of accessibility. Seems like something we should be encouraging.

Yes, it's tiny but Stratford Transit is already ahead.

Grand River Transit is also aggressively pursuing it. I ride on a lot of different routes and haven't seen a high floor in ages. 85% of GRT is accessible right now and regional council is delaying stuff like security cameras and signal improvements to get the whole fleet enabled. GRT 85%

Based on my meeting with MTO and the Ministry in 2006, the policy was that all transit systems in Ontario had until the end of 2012 to be 100% accessibly.

High floor could remain in service after 2012 if they have lifts on them or no more than 3 years if they have gone under mid life rebuilt.

When I check in early 2009, it was still the same policy.

Based on various changes within the government since then, I expect some changes have been made to this policy. As to what, I have not check it out.

Given the fact that funding by the government has change over the last few years and various Towns/City are not supporting transit funding these days, some systems will not meet the 2012 timeline.

The systems that fail to meet the timeline will most likely use their HF buses on peak service, school and industrial routes only. Some may use them in regular until new ones arrive in the next few years.

The systems that fail to meet the 2012 deadline most likely have a waver to do so from MTO with conditions how HF buses will be used and when they will be replace.

Bottom line, everyone should be able to ride transit so long their scooter/wheelchair can fit the vehicles doors and does not require drivers help. Down size to this, today buses are carrying 12% less rider than a HF.

Low floor buses increase loading and off loading faster.

MT is getting 12 BRT Blue D60LF next year and they will be assign to the express route until the BRT is open. As for being LFR is based on who gets the order. NFI and Nova are the only supplier now. (It will be interesting when tenders are open to see what the prices are, but what we will not see that will determine who really gets the order.)

The 0101 D60LF will be replace with orange D60LF next year and may see a few more if funds can be found.

#201 is being cancel and will be replace with 101A, as well being blue buses.

#3 headway will drop to 14 minutes.

#3 Sunday route is cancel and will operate as the other 6 days route. Headway will be reduce. (Long over due and not having to tell riders waiting at the 3 stops to go to x place to catch it on Sunday when I walk by the current stop.)

#14 Sat Service cancel. Route #8 will remain as part of this cut. Headway could remain hourly like it is today and if so, only 1 of the 2 buses will be needed. The best time they could get with 1 bus is 45-50 minute headway for a round
trip.

#14, #29 and a few other routes are being looked at becoming cab-bus at nighttime with some for the day.

February or March will see MT holding its ""first public meeting"" on route changes for 2012/2013, as well getting feed back for its 2013 budget.

All passes are to be phased out by the summer with the Presto Card, offering free trips after X riders.

All current transfer will be scrap by the summer with the Presto transfers being use. Your travel time will start when you get the transfers.

If you use GO buses and MT buses, you can get the $.65 ride only with your Presto Card now.

A review will take place in 2012 that will look at removing or moving stops to speed up the travel time. (Long over due {hello TTC})

MT is going to hire an person and staff to do a full study of transit needs in the city core. It will look at where a new terminal should be built either as a main one or as a 2nd one. It will allow for the BRT and plan LRT use also.

#6 Route may (should) not service Sq One on the weekend and be cut back at Central Parkway. This will require riders to transfer to the 26. (26 headway needs to be reduce). A few others routes may see the same thing.

A number of other routes will see changes. Some Routes changes will have to wait until the BRT is open and will require doing an extra transfer.

There are changes to Orion VII 1000's and I forgot what they are.

#38 could (Should) see that side trip off Creditview remove in 2012.

#61 south of Sq One could (Should) become #96 7 days a week in 2012 or 2013.

I expect to see the 19C cancel by the summer.

#110 south of UTM is on life support and if it doesn't improve over the next few years, it will be cut. (Should be cut now, as it was DOA on day one. Even before it hit the street I said it was a waste of resources.)

The BRT is still over budget and climbing to the point that all the bridges were looked at of not being built by using a grade crossing. The bridges are staying. Cawthra station will be scale down to a kiss & ride and a bus shelter only.
Provision will allow this station to become a real station if ridership demands calls for it down the road (a car only station with no transit to it. Too far to walk to it). Money that should be used on MT is going to the BRT to help to
cover some of the cost over run.

A fair bit of politic interfering from council is dieing finally and it will allow MT to start doing a few things its need to do to improve the system.

All #19's will only have 2-1 minute wait time at Sq One and should start to show up with the next board change.

The 10 top routes will be review for run time using the GPS data to come up with a real run time, not like it is today.

All bus stops will review for 40 and 60 footer to make sure they can get in/out of stops with no problems, but most of all there is a concrete/asphalt pad for the rear doors.

Under used bus stops that have shelters will loose them by being moved to stops that need them in the first place.

#35 will never see Sunday service to Islington.

Last edited:

Back