News   Mar 28, 2024
 938     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 536     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 831     0 

miWay Transit

Sorry I heard 35 but was thinking of the 39. 38 doesn't serve Square One. 39 doesn't serve the Subway. So both are pretty useless.

The 35 is too far to help me. If I have to take a bus to get to another bus to get to the subway, I might as well go to Dundas and take the 201 or 101.

And how would you get to Dundas? After all, the 38 is useless, right?

I don't really understand your obsession with the 89. I think full service on the 27 would be far more useful. But whatever, let's keep those buses on the 89 for no reason.

Come on guys, the world does not revolved around Sq One or the subway.

89 and 27 service two different area and riders needs. There has been attempts to kill off the 89 for sometime, but the ward councillor wants it to stay to service her riders needs. If the 39 every gets extended like it supposed to, then 27 is not require anymore. Have said that, there needs to be another east-west line running alone Thomas/Bristol/Matheson

38 is a north-south route and connects to the hospital. Again, better service for this route.

35 has being running to the subway for sometime and should had happen on day one. It needs to be a 7 day service, not 6.

As for the 61A, it should stay on Mavis 100% to get to Cooksville station as it would cut riders travel time by 20 minutes bypass Sq One as well helping to gain new riders. 61 south of Sq One should be another route, as ridership is non existing there now like what been plan for July changes 7 days a week. 61 needs more service now north of Sq One.

107 does too much running around as it needs to find riders to justify its needs. Not servicing the airport itself is a waste. MT is clueless on how to service the airport not only today, but the last 20 years. 30-45 minutes service doesn't cut it.

As for the 109 to service Sq One now, is going to chase riders away as well adding 15 minutes to a rider trip travel time at the best times. As for severing Erin Mills, same case as Sq One.

The time is at hand for a true grid systems and people are going to have to get use to doing a transferring system, as these single seat rides are killing the bottom line as well not getting more service on the road. Doing so, will require MT to up scale the quality of headway, otherwise it will be a failure as well chasing people to stay in the car or buy one.

89 and 27 service two different area and riders needs.

Of course they are different. They are both one-way routes operating in opposite directions.

There has been attempts to kill off the 89 for sometime, but the ward councillor wants it to stay to service her riders needs. If the 39 every gets extended like it supposed to, then 27 is not require anymore.

39 probably can't be extended very far as the run time is already 48 minutes as is. The 27 isn't going anywhere.

With the lack of service in the Britannia/Matheson corridor, and the overcrowding along Eglinton, it makes no sense for MT to funnel riders off Britannia onto Eglinton like it is doing now with the 89. The 89 is a simply the legacy of an incomplete Matheson Blvd. and the lack of continuous bus service along Eglinton, that's it. Now that Matheson Blvd is complete and there is the 35, the 89 should be canceled. Matheson is only arterial road in Mississauga without a proper route of its own.

The 89 only exists now to provide relief to the 35 and allow Britannia riders to get past Kennedy as there is no full service on the 27 and the 39 doesn't go past Hershey Centre. A full service 27 would make the 89 obsolete.

The new 109 also provides much faster express service between W. Churchill/Meadowvale and Islington, and in both directions to boot. As I said, the 89's days are probably numbered. And if not, they should be.

As long as I get full service to the subway, I don't care if it's on the 89 or on the 27.

Crazy situation today (and until who knows when) due to construction along Burnhamthorpe in Toronto. My 26 Burnhamthorpe bus this afternoon took 5 minutes to clear the intersection at Martin Grove, then idled for 12-13 minutes east of it (I guess it would be Ashbourne Drive). When we were at the Martin Grove, the earlier 26 bus was stuck at the construction zone, but has since moved after we cleared the intersection. I thought that the backup will go all the way to Kipling. Two passengers (I guess a teenage couple) complained to the driver, but we definitely have no choice as the bus has already cleared the intersection and there are no opportunities for U-turns. Some passengers were calling to their phones, and one passenger made "frustrated" body expressions. After we passed the construction zone, I was really surprised how short the lineup was. I realized that we were the third vehicle on the line idling for 12-13 minutes (after a truck and a car).

For my 26 bus westbound during the evening, the Martin Grove section was clear, but the West Mall intersection is reduced to 1 lane per direction. Took 10 minutes from 427 to clearing the West Mall intersection. What was the situation like during rush hours? Cannot imagine!

I guess I have to take 19 all the way to Dundas then take the 1/1C bus from there for now. So for those who take 20, 26, 11, 70 and 76 to the subway, avoid those routes at all costs (I guess Route 11 passengers have no choice outside of rush hours).

Crazy situation today (and until who knows when) due to construction along Burnhamthorpe in Toronto. My 26 Burnhamthorpe bus this afternoon took 5 minutes to clear the intersection at Martin Grove, then idled for 12-13 minutes east of it (I guess it would be Ashbourne Drive). When we were at the Martin Grove, the earlier 26 bus was stuck at the construction zone, but has since moved after we cleared the intersection. I thought that the backup will go all the way to Kipling. Two passengers (I guess a teenage couple) complained to the driver, but we definitely have no choice as the bus has already cleared the intersection and there are no opportunities for U-turns. Some passengers were calling to their phones, and one passenger made "frustrated" body expressions. After we passed the construction zone, I was really surprised how short the lineup was. I realized that we were the third vehicle on the line idling for 12-13 minutes (after a truck and a car).

For my 26 bus westbound during the evening, the Martin Grove section was clear, but the West Mall intersection is reduced to 1 lane per direction. Took 10 minutes from 427 to clearing the West Mall intersection. What was the situation like during rush hours? Cannot imagine!

I guess I have to take 19 all the way to Dundas then take the 1/1C bus from there for now. So for those who take 20, 26, 11, 70 and 76 to the subway, avoid those routes at all costs (I guess Route 11 passengers have no choice outside of rush hours).

I believe it is August or Sept for that work on Burnhamthorpe. You can also take 3 if its at peak time, otherwise use 35 or the Dundas buses.

As for the 11, it can run to Dundas ""IF"" MT puts it on detour which the should. Same could happen for the 20 and 26's

Hmmm... with the 109 tweaking, the 52 minute trip becomes 65-66 minutes. That's an increase of 13-14 minutes.
Meanwhile, going to Meadowvale now takes 28-30 minutes instead of 45 mins by Route 9. That's a decrease of 15-17 minutes.
Also, 109 will now be the fastest option to/from Square One, beating 20 and 26 by a minute or two for both directions. So, it still doesn't matter, but surely beats my expectations.

As for the frequencies, frequency is to be reduced from 16min at the peak direction to 17.5min. Reverse peak direction will run from every 32min to 35min during the AM rush (northbound) and 37min during the PM rush (southbound).

And for the service span, only 3 hours and 11 minutes separate AM and PM rush hours. Evening service now ends at 9:00pm.

Last edited:
109 is actually a 58 or 59 min trip right now. The new routing only adds 7 to 8 minutes. Not a big deal.

For Who??

Asked the riders of Burlington Route 1 how they feel about that 10 minute detour at Aldershot when they to pickup 1 rider who happens to be me. Neither them nor the drivers like making that detour.

If this trip becomes 65-67 minutes, what is the total time of the rider trip getting to reach end as well finishing their journey??

This is one of the worst thing you can do to chase or stop ppl from using transit.

Until the BRT is ready in 13/14, leave the 109 as it is, since the damage has already been done on Day One. A fair number of them will go back to the 89.

For Who??

Asked the riders of Burlington Route 1 how they feel about that 10 minute detour at Aldershot when they to pickup 1 rider who happens to be me. Neither them nor the drivers like making that detour.

If this trip becomes 65-67 minutes, what is the total time of the rider trip getting to reach end as well finishing their journey??

This is one of the worst thing you can do to chase or stop ppl from using transit.

Until the BRT is ready in 13/14, leave the 109 as it is, since the damage has already been done on Day One. A fair number of them will go back to the 89.

CCTT ain't Aldershot.

If riders prefer to use the unreliable, unidirectional ~75 minute long route 89 instead of the bidirectional ~67 minute long route 109 to travel between Meadowvale and the subway just because the 109's run time increased by 2 minutes per trip during the height of rush hour to serve the busiest bus terminal in the 905, then more power to them I guess. I never thought Mississauga residents were all that smart anyways.

109 Northbound now
3:57p --> 5:04p
4:09p --> 5:16p
4:25p --> 5:32p
4:41p --> 5:48p
4:57p --> 6:01p

109 Northbound starting July 4
3:57p --> 5:06p
4:16p --> 5:25p
4:34p --> 5:43p
4:55p --> 6:04p

If I was a 109 rider, I would be probably be more about the loss of a trip in each direction during each rush hour period, than about an increase of 2 minutes in the length of each trip. But that's just me I guess.

109 is actually a 58 or 59 min trip right now. The new routing only adds 7 to 8 minutes. Not a big deal.

7 or 8 minutes, if you're lucky (ie not a Friday afternoon when traffic around any superregional mall is insane) is in itself a big enough deal. The bypass of Square One, and the use of the HOV lanes at least makes passengers feel like they are moving. Until the 109 becomes a full service route, the 109 should continue on its old route.

7 or 8 minutes, if you're lucky (ie not a Friday afternoon when traffic around any superregional mall is insane) is in itself a big enough deal. The bypass of Square One, and the use of the HOV lanes at least makes passengers feel like they are moving. Until the 109 becomes a full service route, the 109 should continue on its old route.

If you look at the schedule, the difference in speed between the old and new routing is neligible during the busiest times. The difference is around 8 minutes when there is no congestion, but during times of the highest traffic congestion the difference between the old and new routing is only 2 minutes.

Note that the 107 was taken off the 403 as well to save time.

Mississauga’s better way

f8ea78da40dba869fc38886c3ab3.jpeg

The proposed light rail transit line along Hurontario St. would run along dedicated lanes and as a side effect spur development that conforms with Ontario's Places to Grow policy.
SUPPLIED ILLUSTRATION

Ryan Starr
Special to the Star

Matthew Williams sees Mississauga’s plan for a $1.2 billion light rail line (LRT) along Hurontario St. as being about more than just transit. He believes the LRT is an essential part of an ambitious strategy to make the city a better place to live.

“It’s really about creating a vision for change,†says Williams, a city transportation planner who led a study that identified the LRT as the best transit option for Mississauga’s primary thoroughfare.

The proposed LRT line would run along Hurontario St. — the city’s busiest corridor — connecting Port Credit to downtown Brampton with as many as 32 stations on the 20-kilometre route.

The LRT line would come off Hurontario and run through Mississauga city centre, where up to 120,000 new residents are expected within the next decade.

Mississauga’s City Centre Transit Terminal, located north of the Square One shopping centre, is the main hub of the Mississauga Transit system, providing connections to local bus and regional transportation services through GO Transit (there’s no GO rail station in the city centre; the nearest one is in Cooksville).

The LRT would link up with the city’s new bus rapid transit (BRT) corridor that’s currently under construction; the BRT will run east-west through the top end of Mississauga city centre.

The LRT plan resulted from a Hurontario/Main Street study — a joint effort by the cities of Mississauga and Brampton — that looked at ways to integrate urban design, land use and transportation along that bustling corridor.

The LRT project adheres to the goals of the province’s Places to Grow legislation, which seeks to promote higher density, pedestrian- and transit-friendly development in locations just like Mississauga’s main drag.

“This fully supports the growth plan,†Williams says. “We want to focus our growth along Hurontario.â€

The corridor connects with three GO lines, two urban growth centres (downtown Brampton and downtown Mississauga) and five mobility hubs — Port Credit, Cooksville, Mississauga city centre, downtown Brampton (Main Street) and Bramalea — as identified by the province.

While the Hurontario/Main Street master plan was unanimously approved last summer by Mississauga council, currently there is no funding commitment from either the province or federal government for construction of the LRT line, only for preliminary design work. The province is also funding an environmental assessment.

Metrolinx, the provincial authority that manages GTA transportation planning, has backed the case for the LRT, having done an analysis that identified the Hurontario/Main Street corridor as one of its 15 “priority projects†for the GTA.

Small wonder. Hurontario St. carries the highest transit ridership of any Mississauga Transit route, with about 28,000 riders each day, according to the city.

And Brampton and Mississauga are expected to grow by nearly 400,000 people by 2031, with 100,000 people and 50,000 jobs located in the area surrounding the proposed LRT corridor, the study estimates.

So there will certainly be enough demand to support an LRT system, Williams says. “Basically every time we add a bus (along Hurontario) it’s full. We have great ridership along that corridor, it’s just really congested with cars.

“Even adding more buses is something we have to be cautious about because those are resources going into furthering congestion.â€

The advantages of an LRT line?

For the majority of the route, trains will run on a dedicated track so they won’t conflict with automobile traffic or add to congestion. Plus, the system is electrically powered and not a direct source of greenhouse gas emissions. And compared to buses, the LRT system requires less maintenance and has lower operating costs.

Most important, if all goes according to plan, the LRT line will spur growth of all sorts along the Hurontario/Main Street corridor.

“It could catalyze denser development on that strip and start to build a transit-oriented cluster,†says Matti Siemiatycki, a professor of urban planning at the University of Toronto. “That would be a major improvement for Mississauga and for the region.â€

Possible downsides?

The preliminary design of the LRT requires it to occupy two lanes of traffic along the six-lane portions of Hurontario and operate in shared lanes in smaller four-lane sections in downtown Brampton, for example.

This will inevitably mean delays and headaches during construction.

But as Siemiatycki points out, “there will be some sort of disruption no matter what kind of transportation system you build.â€

“And if we don’t danything,†Williams adds, “we’ll reach capacity, congestion will keep on growing and there will be a big price to pay.â€

After driving up to the 401 to have a look at tonight road closure on the 401, I noticed flashing lights and road closure on Rathburn at Sq One and stop to take a look.

As of 7:30 pm, Square One area is close to traffic with some MT and GO buses on detour.

Rathburn from City View to Duke of York is close 100% to traffic and open to transit as a pre-test for July 1st crowd control. Some of MT buses drivers are missing the cut off for this closure.

Duke of York is close from Burnhamthorpe to Prince of Wales, putting MT 8, 26 and 61 on detour.

The first block east of Duke of York on City Centre is close 100% to all traffic including MT and GO.

The car folks are in for a treat on July 1st and expect to see some grid lock tying to get to Sq One mall and the Celebration at City Hall. Same road closure will be in effect on July 1st like there is tonight with some tweaking.

As for the 401, one northbound lane was being taken out of service while I was driving over the new bridge. All the earth has been removed from around the existing bridge, leaving the concrete exposed and easy to get at for tonight removal.

Should went up earlier to get some photos.

If you do get some pictures of post old-bridge removal I'd be curious to see them (before I drive by there Monday).

Back